AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
phone credit card fraud

FOR 2 WEEKS NOW, WE HAVE RECEIVED A CALL ON FRIDAY W/ A OPERATOR THAT HELPS WITH A DEAF PERSON. THE WHOLE GIST OF THE CALL IS THAT HE WANTS TO BUY 10 WINDSHIELDS AND WILL HAVE THEM PICKED UP BY A FREIGHT CO.HE IS NOT FROM THE SAME STATE/ AND WANTS TO PAY NOW WITH CREDIT CARD. HE CANNOT OFFER PHONE NUMBER OR LEGIT ADDRESS. I DECLINE TO RUN THE CREDIT CARD AND THE PHONE CALL IS DISCONNECTED. I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT BUT SOMEHOW I KNOW IT IS A SCAM.. ANYONE ELSE?

Re: phone credit card fraud

It was me ,I called you no just kidding we got one of these calls last year and the guy got mad when i told him no ,he started yelling and calling me all kinds of names . I think its a company in Oklahoma (well used to be ) AutoGlass Outlet i can say the name because they not in biz anymore from

I had a guy call several times and would come to my shop to pick up the glass. one at a time, but paid in cash, would never give anyother info (only thing was he was not from this country.) but then it was he wanted more at one time, I asked the caller one time where he was located, he told me africa but he is calling for a friend that lives in near by town and had a body shop. after they wanted more then one at a time and again wanted to pay by check and then said we quoted ( which we did not ) a lower price and demanded to have it for that price he wanted, I called the police, never saw the guy again.

Jeff, if people are coming in and buying windhshields for cash, and they agree to your pricing what is the problem? I am just trying to follow this, if you did nothing but let someone pick up the glass, they were a real human and paid cash sound like a good way to make money with no liability.. ?

Anyone that orders like door glass's and stuff from me i charge the same as if i am installing it, if there silly enuff to pay the price and pay cash i could care less what they do with the glass.. I will not sell windshields or urethane though i think there could somehow if some shade tree mechanic put there own windshield in with caulk and had a wreck i could have prevented the problem by not providing him a source to get the glass from..

I bet its mabey 5 times a year that we get a call from somone wanting to purchase something, generally its for some old as dirt vehicle that i would not want to work on to start with...

I get alot of calls with people wanting to have patterns cut, we do not do flat glass as we operate in many union towns, and we are not a union glass shop.

Just got a call yesterday, deaf person with a operator translating, asking for 20 dw1265's. Wanted to pay with a credit card over the phone, having a shipping company pickup the glass. When questioned he was vague, would give no straight answers. I declined the request, even the operator/translator was laughing. Sure seems like some kind of a scam. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck .... etc.

I welcome any deaf person to call me to purchase anything... Were running a TDD special...

JUSTANOTHERSHOP
I AM JUST CURIOUS/// WHAT AREA ARE YOU IN?

THANKS

Hi, I had a similar thing happen to me. An operator for the TTD relay service called and said a man was on the line wanting a quote on a small piece of glass. I gave the quote and in about an hour, I received a call wanting to purchase 120 of them. I explained that I had to had a 50% deposit for an order of that size. He gave me the credit card number and since I was keying the number in, my credit card machine requires the "number part of their street address" along with their zip code for security purposes. We are in SC and the address given to me was in VA. The SC School for the Deaf and Blind is about 3 miles from our shop. My husband used to work there and I knew that during the summer they had teachers come in from all over the US to do summer camps with the kids. I was a little suspicious but decided to go ahead with the transaction and see what other info I could get from the caller. He asked for me to email him the authorization code for the transaction. Since this was information that a customer would normally ask for I emailed it. He then informed me that he would not be picking up the glass himself so he wanted to go ahead and put the balance of the order on the card. He then said that he was a pastor and was sending the glass to a church in Ghana. I immediately knew this was a scam. He wanted me to put 2400.00 more on the card and then wire the money to the shipper. I told him that I couldn't do that and asked why he didn't just give the card info to the shipper and let them run it. He said they didn't accept credit cards. I wanted to get as much info as I could from him so that I could turn it over to the authorities. I told him that I would run the 2400 on his card. I then came back and told him that I would need to call him back with the authorization number because I was getting a busy signal on my credit card machine. He said he would call me back. In the meantime, I received an email from the so-called shipping company telling me where to wire the money. I then called the police and was told that there was nothing they could do and I needed to go online and file a report with the FBI. I then called my credit card processing company and ask them who I should report all the info I had to. They gave me the name of the bank that had issued the card number that was given to me. They instructed me to tell them that I have a code 10 and that would get immediate response. I called Capitol One and got an answering machine with the fraud department. I told them that he would be calling me back and that I would get any information that they wanted to try and catch him. They NEVER called me back. I happen to have a Capitol One card so I called the number on my card and told them what had happened. They connected me to someone and I told the lady what had happened. And by the way, she was in some foreign country and we were having alot of trouble communicating. I had even gone back to my caller id and got 7 or 8 numbers that they were calling from. One of the numbers was still in order. I was trying to give the lady the numbers, email addresses and address that they wanted the money sent to and she flat out told me that she had more than enough information. She didn't want the info. I ask her what she was going to do and she said they would write the customer a letter telling them that there had been some unusual activity on their card. They werent even going to call the customer. The man kept calling me back wanting to know it I had the authorization number yet and finally I told him that the card was being used fraudulantly and he hung up. I spent so much of my time trying to get all of this information for someone to catch this person but NO ONE cared. I was sure that if they had tried this with us that they were trying it with other shops. When I said no, they went right on to someone else. The credit card company could have done something but was unwilling.

This is bqa's wife. I work with deaf and hard of hearing people. If you receive a fraudulent call using a relay service for the deaf you should call your state's relay service and report it. The relay companies are trying very hard to reduce the number of calls made through them by people who aren't deaf. This creates a lot of trouble for deaf people who actually want to do business.

JJ We are in NE Minnesota

i don't even take credit card over the phone. even if they live at my area. i tell my customer that it had to
be in person with id.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com