AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rain Sensor Question submitted to AGRR magazine

Hello faithful forum readers. Thank you for visiting and sharing your opinions and expertise on the industry. Brigid O'Leary here, contributing editor. We at AGRR received a question recently from a reader about rain sensors, and I'm hoping someone reading this board can offer some advice on how to handle the situation.

The person is looking for any information regarding the rain sensors on Mercedes Benz vehicles. He and his associates are having an occasional problem with the sensor going into a default mode and have spent a lot of time inquiring at the dealership to no avail. The best answer they have received is "the reason it's not working is because you didn't use a OEM windshield." Our reader has talked to industry peers in other states who have experienced the same problem. Do any forum readers have any data on this problem?

Thanks guys (and ladies)!

Re: Rain Sensor Question submitted to AGRR magazine

We have a Benz dealer that we do all the glass for them! One tech at this dealer has told me the reason is the color of the tape that the aftermarket uses is a different color and that affects the optical image the the brain recieves from the part that is on the glass! We use only the factory glass on any Benz or BMW that has the sensor and we do inform the insurance co. of that fact and they will allow the dealer glass 9 out of 10 times. We also inform the customer of that fact also. Some customers have said they do not care if it works or not any time we do a rain sensor vehicle we do test it first. You must make sure the doors and hood are closed as Benz wipers will not operate if these are not closed. This is the only explination that I ever heard of. I hope this is of help!

WHAT YEAR/MODEL BENZ?

went out on warranty call for fw2056 01 mercedes for this today. sensor would not shut off in auto mode. problem is caused by tint being to dark where sensor mounting pad goes on w/s. if you take senor off w/s and let it hang still, wipers preform right. only solution I've fouind is replace with with proper tinting. If you look at oem the window were sensor pad mounts is clearer than rest of shading. not sure if this will help, but I have had this happen before and changing out w/s solved the problem.

MAN, MOST OF THAT M/B GLASS IS MADE MY PPG ANYWAY.. SO WHAT IF IT'S THE 'AFTERMARKET' GLASS.. IT'S PROBABLY MADE BY PPG. YOU CAN'T TELL ME THE 'PPG' GLASS IS DIFFERENT THAN THE M/B GLASS. LABELING DOESN'T LIE.

ppg has a plant in china, and their not the only after market manufacturer out there.

You never know what brand you will get from Benz with the logo on it I have gotten Sigla,Seikuerit,Pilkington,and PPG,on ML they are always AP tech

We have had problems with the FYG brand on rain sensor windshields.

The comment about the color of the glass might be the answer.

We have used FYG, XYG ,PPG and a few others we've never had any trouble ,but it's nice to know so I can tell the guys what to look out for.

finally got to go back on fw2056 with rain sensor problem. replaced w/s with ppg w/s, with sensor ooptic pad attached. It functioned just like it was designed to. the problem was w/s color in optic window.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com