AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2003 GMC Envoy

We did a w/shield replacement on this vehicle last week. The customer came back yesterday and said the temp/compass in the rearview mirror was not reading correctly.Has anyone ever come across this problem. We've replaced a lot of w/shields on this type vehicle and never had any problems like this.Any feed back would be appraciated.

Re: 2003 GMC Envoy

I would have to check to be sure on this, but if you unplug the GM compass mirror, there is a procedure to 'reset' it, that's supposedly a bit annoying.

As a rule we do not unplug GM compass mirrors. We use an 'S' hook we made to slip over the headliner lip and hang the mirror from the other end of the S hook while we work, to not stress the wire.

We had never had a problem either, but stopped unplugging them a few years ago when a PAG instructor mentioned the problem, and the annoying way they were to be reset.

If I recall, and I'm not sure that I do, it involved driving the vehicle in a tight circle to reset the compass. I remember thinking to myself at the time, "why can't we just rotate the mirror after plugging it in, but before mounting it on the bracket?", but rather than worry about it, we just stopped unplugging the compass mirrors.

The S hook we made was from 3/4 inch steel banding material, all ends, edges, and points rounded very smooth, and it bends easily to adjust size for different mirrors. It lips over the headliner and cradles the mirror very nicely. I concluded it was about a 10 cent solution, and we use it on lots of other mirrors also, to avoid risking damaging the plug-in on those stubborn ones that don't want to unplug.

I'll see if I can find the mirror reset info before we start the festivities.

Drive the vehicle in a tight circle, should reset after about 3 times around.

OOPS, should have said, a tight SLOW(under 5mph) circle

Clockwise or counter clockwise? In drive or reverse? What if you are south of the equator? How about if you are in N Alaska?

Found a page referencing the Avalanche, same circle recommendations.

It also references a procedure in the owners manual. Perhaps it is in the Envoy manual.

Can't find my GM info page, I know I have this saved someplace....but for now, hope this helps.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/resources/faq_controls_rearview.html

Time for burgers, brats, and beer! (in moderation, of course....the brats anyway)

first hit the compass button, then drive in a circle until it kicks in correctly. no biggie

thanks everybody for your replys, by resetting the compass should that reset the temp also? hope every one has a great 4th.......... mark

mOST OF THESE RESET PRETTY QUICK DOING THE CIRLE THING. BUT I HAD TWO NOW THAT WE HAD TO DRIVE BETWEEN 10 AND FIFTEEN MILES DOWN THE ROAD BEFORE THEY FINALLY RECALIBRATED. GM KEPT TELLING ME TO KEEP DRIVING IT, I THOUGHT THEY WERE NUTS, BUT IT FINALLY WORKED.

WE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS LIKE THIS, BUT ITS NICE TO KNOW.NOW I CAN ADD IT TO THAT JUST IN CASE S**** HAPPENS FILE WE KEEP.

well i ordered a temp sensor to try that, compass is correct. thanks again for your help.........

IF YOU DROVE IT SEVERAL MILE AND BOTH ITEMS DID NOT RESET THEN YOU MIGHT NEED TO CHECK THE WIRES. I HAVE HAD THEM STUCK IN THE FACTORY URETHANE AND GET DAMAGED WHEN WE TRY TO GET THEM OUT OF IT.

BUT IF THE TEMP SHOWS UP AND IT IS SHOWING AN UNREALISTIC NUMBER THEN YOU PROBABLY JUST NEED TO KEEP DRIVING IT. THAT WAS HOW THE TEMP WAS DOING ON THOSE THAT I HAD TO KEEP DRIVING. ALWAYS SHOWED TO BE GOING WEST AND SHOWED LIKE 21 DEGREES. ABOUT EVERY MINUTE IT WOULD CHANGE A DEGREE. IF I TURNED OFF THE KEY HAD TO START THE WHOLE PROCESS AGAIN. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IT JUMPED TO THE CORRECT TEMP AND DIRECTION AND WORKED EVER SINCE.

That is a really odd problem. I seen a service bullentin recently but it was on the new 07 chevy trucks. you have to put a new rain senson on EVERY time till they figure out a way to re attach.. anyone done this yet.. we just did one that was damaged in shipment...

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com