AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
China owns PPG

Really starting to wonder where the quality went. If its got a PPG name on the glass wouldn't you think it would fit like an OEM PPG glass? I'm really starting to think Pilkington is where its at. That's the only other option in my area.

Re: China owns PPG

Doesn't the DOT number on the glass indicate where exactly the glass was made and by who? Why do we get ppg glass with Dot 18, and yet a sticker saying made in Canada? dot 18 is supposedly from Pittsburgh, PA.

You do know that Pilk has as many, if not more factories in China then anyone else, right?

You mean Nippon (as of last week)

As the old line goes......

You can't tell the players without a scorecard !!

Is there anything made in America anymore??!!

Yes. Suckers in the auto glass industry are madi in America

is guardian still made in the usa? at one time i think all of their glass was made here.

You know we got a guardian 1199 i think it was, and it had a ppg sticker on it with the guardian sticker still underneath it. Does that mean PPG bought guardian too?

Guardian, who is one few U.S. based companies in the glass business of any size, is one of the top three largest glass producers in the world (#1 Asahi, #2 Nippon (formerly Pilkington), and #3 Guardian -I am making an assumption that Nippon’s acquisition of Pilkington made them bigger than Guardian, but reports are saying that they are still under that of Asahi). Guardian, like all of the large glass manufacturers has manufacturing in Asia. However, they have been resistant to selling anything but U.S. made product in the U.S. My guess is that may change someday, but I doubt it will while current top brass is around and I respect that. Guardian, who has recently taken a role of expanding it's own distribution network in the U.S., is a competitor to PPG (who is way down to totem pole when it comes to the percentage of OE work done on a world wide basis). I'm sure the part in question with the PPG label over the Guardian label has nothing to do with anything. PPG is expanding their U.S. distribution and getting deeper into the pockets of the retailers by their recent moves. At the same time, they have moved a great deal of their product line into contract manufacturing by Xinyi (XYG). As far as I can see, they are not expanding in the direction of (auto glass) manufacturing at all.

If fyg is banging out PPG glass who really cares FYG for the most part is a really good product line!

Network Lover: Just to ensure that you are aware, XYG and FYG are two different companies. I didn't say anything about FYG (not that it changes the point I was making in my revious post).

For the record, theres something like 30 auto glass manufacturers in China -Some bend a good piece of glass, others don't. For that matter, the same can be said about those who make auto glass in the United States. But again, the point of my previous post had nothing to do with whether the glass was good or bad quality. Just that a significant number of PPG parts are being manufactured under contract by XYG and I did not see PPG expanding there own manufacturing of auto glass.

ST...he is answering every post for the last year, and asking and answering his own posts under several different names....

who ?

Satan what kind of glass do you use?

I honestly have not have any issue's with PPG Glass.. there are a few parts.. were no one makes the part decent.. for example a dw1202 or a dw1327 unless its an OEM molding its just not awsome. I will hand it to PPG they have a darn good product, and have not had any issues in years...

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com