AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Employee Names on Work Orders

Wondering what your thoughts are of having your full name, first and last on work orders. I'm not comfortable with it and think there should be a numeric code but the boss thinks full name on orders is the way to go. Isn't there some privacy laws concerning this?

Re: Employee Names on Work Orders

Dan- our guys put first name only on our work orders but are required to put first and last name on all insurance work orders or dispatches (insurance an tpa companies require it.)

Not only that but say Billy Bob and Cousin Earl are at the dealer and are working on 10 cars a piece then I get a call that a dash is cut on a Jag and a GTO has a leak .I know who done the work just by looking at that ol' work order and it also tells me who is packing up thier tools and going home.

As shop owners we do this to help pertect us and our guys from customers and each other.

The only part I dislike is that the customer has my full name. I would rather my full name not be on the customer copy incase he/she is upset. Our secretary just randomly chooses names to put on the w/o's and many times I don't even do the work even though my name is on the w/o, which is another problem.

We just use our initials on ours. I haven't heard of any TPA's requiring the techs names. News to me!!

I RECOMMEND THE THREE LETTER INITIALS. WE HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR SOME TIME. KEEPS THINGS MORE PRIVATE WHILE STILL TRACKING EVERYTHING.

I USE IT FOR LOGINS NAMES, INSTALLERS, CRS, SALES PEOPLE, ETC.

I NEVER LIKE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBERS THAT MUCH. ALSO USUALLY ONLY AN EMPLOYEE KNOWS ALL THREE OF THEIR INITIALS SO IT LESS LIKELY ANOTHER TECH WOULD PUT A BAD JOB IN SOMEONES NAME.

EVEN THOUGH WE PAID PERCENTAGE OF LABOR ON JOB WE HAD A TECH THAT WOULD PUT SOMEONE ELSES NAME ON WORKORDER IF HE DID A BAD JOB ON ONE.

KB- look at the bottom of the next dispatch you get from Lynx or SGC in asks for the shop owners name and the installers name and date.

Just because the TPA asks for the name doesn't mean you have to tell. We put a first name only on, mainly for our records. I wouldn't do it just for a TPA. But, I don't have a contract with them, either.

I have no problem putting my name on any ticket. I want the customer to know who did their work. I give the customer no reason to be upset. I know this sounds like tooting my own horn, but I own my own company and in 2005, 43% of my total sales was from a repeat customer or a referal from a repeat customer. I don't care what you say, just do good work and you will have nothing to fear from putting your name on a ticket.

I agree with VSTARAG.

What is the big deal? To sign off on something you should be proficient at and be proud of, saving someone’s life, doing a good job. On the other hand if you are responsible for the maiming or death of an occupant due to your careless and cavalier installation then..So bet it.

I'll bet if cash was involved in putting your name on the paper there would be a line out the door.

Aviation technicians have to sign off on everything they do to a plane. Mechanics have their name on work orders.

We have the installers initial their workorders. We run several reports tracking our labor costs vs labor billed. Also, raises in pay are determined by the tech's production performance, including the cost to us for any damages done to a vehicle. So it is very important for us to give a tech credit for the jobs he does. As far as the TPA is concerned, we stand behind our techs. If there is an issue regarding an installation, we stand as one accepting the responsibility for both the good and bad jobs. It's been working for us so far - Although i admit it's a little hard when you have a "hot dog" on staff - Right now though, it's cool.

We put the installers name on after the fact, but on some there full name is on there.. it is not like it is top secrect information, Now what about when i worked at safelite they used the last 4 of my social as my employee id.. anyone using a full or partial social security # for an id might want to re think that....

We put the installers name on the invoice because at the end of the month we review the comments that are mailed back to us and we reward the installer with a bonus for a job well done. We do not use last names.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com