AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DW 1529 GTY

This is carlite w/s for new f150's. Anyone had any problems with inside of glass being too reflective. Had a cust the other day complain that his dash reflected off the inside of the glass and made it hard to concentrate looking thru w/s. We went and checked out and sure enough the reflection was awesome. Could hardly see beyond the reflection. Any ideas?

Re: DW 1529 GTY

His w/s is finally clean?

Try laying a something to cover the dash or putting a dash cover on. If it helps he may be putting a really shiny dash cleaner like armor all on it that is increasing the amount of reflection off the dash.

No problems, changed lots of them, but I see what you are saying.

Big Dash...ask Ford mabey?

Listen to SBOK we have two 05 F150'd in our fleet and had the same problem we used a dash cover it helped out (still catch a reflection but not nearly as bad as before)

So are you guys saying it isn't a glass problem and that it is a shiny dash problem and that this gentlemens vehicle had the reflection before and he just didn't notice, but now that he's had it replaced he notices it? Because if he didn't have it before, then using a dash cover is not really a real option.

Carlite ws on a Ford? It's Ford's problem.

It should be Fords problem, but now it is his. Kind of like after putting a windshield in a car the customer comes back and says his rear blinker doesnt work anymore. "But it worked before you guys changed the windshield."

I am just trying to help by offering ideas. I do not know anything about the particular job or what the customers claims are.

From past experience we have had customer complain after we replaced their windshield their they could not see as well through it because the dash was showing in the windshield. At that time we always cleaned the dash with Armor All type cleaners as a custoemr service item. What we found was that this caused more reflection than what a "dirty dash" had. So now if a customer complains about this then we also have a cleaner that will remove the dash cleaner(shiny) chemicals and leaves a dull finish on the glass which to date has always satisfied the customer.

It also seems to be taller customers that sit up higher and are looker more parallel with the glass.

Also I am not neccessarily saying to try to get him to use a dash cover. What I am saying is to lay something different over the dash and see it if helps of changes the problem. That at least might would help him understand if it is a windshield problem or not.

I realize that the customer is always right, but sometimes if they see you attempting to solve the problem in the right ways then they might understand that it really may not should be your problem to solve in the first place.

Any way Good Luck. I am not sure what else to tell you unless you cut the glass out again and sit different windshields in the opening and let the customer view them and see if it changes anything. Unforunately if the customer feels that the problem is in your work or product this may be your only option.

In glass buz since 1984, never heard of this problem, ever, sounds absolutely ridiculous and the the car owner wants something for free. Tell him to go elsewhere and you'll pay for a new one installed by someone else. Just my opinion.

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM DIF CAR OLDER LADY WE DID NOTHING BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING WE COULD DO AND REFUSED TO DO OTHER WORK FOR HER EVEN THOUGH IT WAS INSURANCE WORK YOU JUST CANT PLEASE SOME PEOPLE GOOD LUCK

SBOK i have a good question, you mentioned the use of armorall or such a product.. do you use this before or after the new windshield is in? That can cause one heck of alot of contamination on your hands, tools, rags, etc..

Anyone out there buying the pck1529 for these cars u buy them on every job, i also use a lil buddy to set these as my guys are skiddish of not doing it as a 2 man.. why did ford take such a nice desinged windshield and turn it south!!!

NETWORK LOVER,

We use a new rag on each job when we start here is the procedure my people are required to follow:
1. New glass is sit on stand and cleaned with a new lint free rag.(usually be a helper while the broke glass is being cut out and removed by installer).
2. Broke window is removed and pinchweld trimmed and prepped.
3. Dash cleaner is sprayed directly onto the rag(usually the same rag that had already cleaned the windshield). This is done away from vehicle and cleaned glass.
4. Then the dash and interior a piller mouldings are wiped down and cleaned. Absolutely no spraying is allowed near the car or glass to keep drifting of the cleaner onto the bonded area.
5. Rag is laid in car to use for a final wipe down after glass is sit and final cleanup is being completed.
6. Rag is disposed of and new one is used for next job.

As far as contamination on hands we use nitrile gloves which do get contaminated during the dash cleaning, but they are removed right after that point anyway. We use cups to install glass so most of the time we work with normal work gloves after everything is cleaned primed and prepped, but a few of my guys will use a second pair of nitriles when they begin shooting the urethane and reassembly of job if it is one that is more likely to get urethane on you while putting it back together. Tools would be an extremely low to no risk of contamination when our procedures are followed. Rags are not reused on another job after they have dash cleaner on them.

Excellent questions. I think we have a pretty solid procedure, let me know if you see possible hoels in it.

I tell my guys I want the consistancy of McDonald's but the quality of the most expensive local steak house.(You always know what you are getting and how it will taste when you go to a McD's but we want to make sure our customer knows they were served a steak instead of the $0.39 hamburger.)

As far as the clip question. I keep some extras in stock but we can usually reuse the old ones. If you start with the bottom one and pull the moudling towards the "a" piller it will normally release off the back side of the clip then you can pull it off the front edge of the clip and leave the clip in the fastener made on the "a" piller. AFter you have the moulding out of the way then you can remove each clip and reinstall back in the moulding for reuse.

they are definately a heavy windshield to do a one man sit.

Cool i was not trying to B-Bust you :) I was just wondering cause one time some GENIUS customer sprayed armorall all over my nice fresh primer, and we had to end up having the vehicle go to a body shop to sand it down, the urethane would not stick!!!

Is anyone out there using the other # for 1529's the one without the f-150 in the window.. i dont know whats going on but heck its more than the carlite 1529!!!

Nope i always use 1529's same cost issue...

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com