AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New Revenue for Increased cost

We now chrarge a $5 fee for all insurance work that we do mobile no exceptions with the rise in fuel cost most people understand we offer in shop but people want mobile. We are also starting a $5.00 enviromental disposal fee per windshield for all insurance customers also. We do add this in to all our cash prices already but needed to apply to insurance work.

Re: New Revenue for Increased cost

Do you add that to the Insurance Co. bill?
Do you collect it from the insured?
Has an Insurance Co. paid the fee yet?

on the enviromental disposal fee, do you have someone that is doing some type of recycling on the glass(something that could be considered enviroment friendly)? Or is it more of just a disposal fee?

I like the ideas. They might need to be seperate line items even on cash jobs. Just something to think about.

Re: Re: New Revenue for Increased cost

No thats what i like best about it the insurance company does not get billed i collect from the customer direct. The insurance company cant say anything about it or comment on over chargeing these are seperate line items on a seperate invoice. I really think this could go over big if others follow.

More of a disposal fee but i am making sure glass is disposed of the correct way. I want to add items that the insurance company cant tell me what to charge.

I don't believe auto glass can be recycled.

i don't think that it is actually recycled, but it is used in road base and asphalt, but that way it doesn't go to the landfill

I seem to recall reading an article a few years ago about some place that was using ground up auto glass on a beach. Its been so long ago I don't remember all the details but it seems some group was bent out of shape over it.

My point is there is a cost for disposal and not just dumping it on the side of the road. I now will pass that cost on to all my customers or i would be happy to leave the glass with them if they dont want to pay the fee.

Oh - I don't blame you one bit. They charge you to dispose of your used motor oil and tires. As a consumer I would be surprised not to be charged for something like that. I had new tires and brakes done on my Honda and had a state inspection and oil change done a few months later. Both times (different shops) I was charged a "shop fee." I asked the guy about it and he said it was to cover any towels, cleaning supplies, the paper floor mat, etc. that they used while working on my car. Makes the free coffee in the waiting area seem not so free.

Correct the consumer has been conditioned by other services its time Auto Glass joined in.

TODAY I TOOL ABOUT FORTY TO THE DUMP. THEY HAVE ME PUT THEM IN THE BOTTLE RECYCLE BIN. WHEN I FIRST ASK THEM, AS THIS KILLS THE BOTTLE GLASS, THEY SAID THAY HAD A DIFERENT WAY TO RECYCLE. THEY DUMPED IT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE DUMP BED THEN DUMPED ALL THE BROKEN CONCREAT ECT. ON TOP AND USED IT FOR FILL AT THE AIRPORT IN A REVEN. I DID HEAR EUROPE IS RECYCLING WINDSHELDS, GETTING BACK THE GLASS AND THE INTERLAYER.

We have been charging a shop suplies fee of 2.75 per job and a disposal fee of 10.00 per job for about a year now seems to work pretty good .We charge it on the same invoice except on insurance work , we charged insurace one time and they said we had to get approval before we could charge them the extra fees. So we tarted charging on a seperate invoice as far as I know we are the only A/G company in North Texas that does this.

*Started

http://www.andelaproducts.com/products/stripper.html

THIS IS A WINDSHIELD RECYCLER THAT I HAD HEARD OF. NO ONE AROUND HERE HAS ONE YET THAT I KNOW OF.

http://www.epa.gov/jtr/jtrnet/autoglas.htm

SOME OF THE OTHER USES OF OLD W/S.

I have made this same suggestion to retailers over the years. Remember when you bought tires and the price your were quoted was the price installed -with valves, with balancing, with mounting, with disposal of the old tires, etc, etc. The Webmaster is right, these fees we now pay are expected and no one even raises an eyebrow anymore. Bottom line is, when the margin of the product being sold is reduced and operating expenses remain (or go up), that lost revenue has to be made up somewhere in order to maintain profitability. This is exactly the reason us distributors have had to start charging delivery fees or "fuel surcharges". I applaud those of you who are charging for mobile service, glass disposal and for shop supplies. Be proud. Make money. Take your wife and kids out for dinner and be able to afford to leave a big tip.

do you add in the disposal fee in the quote over the phone or do you add it after its done and they customer is paying for it?

It is not added in to the price for the windshield for cash quotes. We collect from the customer at time of install. If a customer wants quote with bottom line we then give all them quote with all line items. Remember when you buy your tires 49.99 a tire is not what you are paying. We are no diffrent.

Webmaster :

Yes auto glass can be recycled. The PPG Branch in Greensboro, NC was one of the PPG's that participated in this trial.. Paul that is now with lynx would know better as he was the man there at the time they were doing it.

TO whoever is charging an enviromental disposal fee, ah you might want to re think the wording on that or check with your lawyer. By you saying that your enviormentall disposing the glass you better do it.. You think glass people are psycho deal with a mad enviromentallist....

I have a legit question.. What would you do if your customer said I am not paying the $5 fee for disposal and wanted to keep it would you allow that?

NO PAY NO THROW AWAY

Our trash fees for our 'environmentally safe, EPA approved, state-of-the-art' City Refuse Disposal Site have gone up another 15%.

We have been adding a 25 cent fee for city disposal for some time now on all flat invoices. We are going to hav to start adding it back to autoglass invoices.

It's so bad around here, that commercial dumpsters are starting to have padlocks put on them because random people are dumping their trash into them at night, and the commercial accounts pay by the pound for disposal, relevant to the contents.

Mine may be one of them in the future; last week we found three lawnmowers, the week before that we found steel porch railings filling, and on top, of our dumpster, and two weeks before that we found stuff that I wouldn't get close enough to the dumpster because of teh smell to figure out what the heck it was.

All in all, our disposal fees have increased over 400% in the last 7 years or so.

Fortunately, we're making it up with quantity from Hal's referrals.

I proposed to PPG about 2 months ago a $1 per part disposal fee put on windshields thrown in there dumpster. When I have brick & Mortar why should a guy with a truck and his name spray painted on it not have disposal fee's ? What is your opinion on that? I only have one place where i use there dumpster, and thats cause its next to my shop.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com