AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
still waiting

just wondering what the average is for the length of time to get paid from accounts 30,45,90 days? My accounts take 45 TO 90 DAYS sometimes more and it's pretty hard to keep up with it. Any suggestions on what the stantdard policy is (if there is one) would be helpful.

Re: still waiting

did youmake them fill out a credit application ?

we usually get them to fill out one and it outlines the agreement etc, also has a space for them to fill in who the dirtbag is in charge of the AP so I have someone to call when it gets this far... need to start calling them now. The squeakiest nut gets the oil is my idea on bills (make some noise) be civil if possible.

Thanks for your help! I know I sound ignorant I apologize, how would I go about getting the form for a credit application and does it also allow to get credit card on file info? Thanks again- new to this game!

Hey Mary,
Are you a glass shop owner?

yes I am an owner

Mary

You can get credit applications at most Office Max or Office Depots. Then you can use theirs or pick and choose from those and make your own to include whatever you want on file. Suggest: Banking reference,account,references(and call them) credit card number for business if they have one,person to notify and your credit terms(whether you give a discount for cash,10days and what you charge in interest for late pays.Dealerships are the worst pay for us, they can run 60 to 70 days.

let me guess you said you were an owner, that means you own a pickup truck or a van and your husband does the installs. It takes more to own a business then just having someone who knows how to install glass.

although what you say is painfully true, we all have to start somewhere. What is important is the drive, desire and the work ethic, how many of us don't get our education from the school of hard knocks?

i have a feeling if there was a college course a person could take to correct the mistakes i have made, it would be full. So far, i haven't found such a course, but i sure would like to take it.

I have found it takes:
Insurance Co. 30-90 days to pay.
Dealers on a monthly statement is 1-2 weeks after they have statement.
Body shops same as dealers if on monthly statement or get paid every other trip there on outstanding bills.
Repair shops are cod unless you get a lot from them. Then they fall into body shop category.
If you are not paid by these deadlines then there is a problem. Stat pushing for your money and stop doing work for them until they are current.
This is what I do. What you do is your descision.

Don't let that bother you Mary. I only asked if you were an owner because I am too and there aren't many female glass shop owners out there. You go girl!! By the way Rick, I have two vans, 1 truck and I do installs as well as my husband. We are both certified installers. Someone has to do the paperwork though and that would be me. There is a LOT more to do than just answering phones and printing up work orders. LOL!!

Can you put in dw1454's by yourself?

Mary, don't let all the negative responses bother you, all you did was ask a simple question to get some feedback, but there are always those on this forum that are holier than thou and they're the only ones that know how to run a business. Hang in and good luck to you. (I think we all started somewhere, didn't we?)

Get real, that's a two person set. Those I schedule for both of us to do together. I know my abilities and my limitations. I only do solo what I can safely do by myself. We put our emphasis on quality of service and materials, not slapping them in and running to the next one.

Glassgod is right Mary! It's hard enough for a female to survive, heck, we are ALL doing the best we can to make it. If the small shops would all support each other, instead of giving someone a hard time, we would all be better off. The real thing we are up against is the big boys who are out there paying $10 bucks for a windshield. Hang in there girl, If I can help, let me know, heck, maybe you can even teach me a thing or too. We are never too old to learn something new!! Have a great day!!

GLASSRAT WE PUT THOSE IN ONE PERSON SET MARK AND TAKE HOOD OFF THEN ITS EASY HOOD IS LIGHTER THAN THE GLASS BUT CUT HER SOME SLACK I AM THINKING OF STARTING OUT OF HOME BY MYSELF ALSO

thanks for all the support! I did rectify the situation with that account, your knowledge has been really helpful----- thanks everyone

If you have the newest edition of microsoft office, you can get all kinds of free forms on line. When I go into my documents file, I just open up a new word sheet. In the upper right corner it has a little box that says "type a question for help". Just enter what you are looking for, like "credit form". It will give you a nice list of forms to choose from.

GLASS LADY - I THINK THATS COOL THAT YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND BOTH DO INSTALLS. MY WIFE USED TO HELP ME ON INSTALLS BUT THATS WAS AWHILE BACK WHEN IT WAS JUST US TWO. NOW SHE SETS BACK AND COLLECTS THE PAY CHECKS AND GOES SHOPPING ALOT
GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU WOMEN IN THE GLASS INDUSTRY

Hey, on the other side of that, if you have more employee's, you must be doing well. Congrats to you both!!! Yes, we both do install's, but that also means I'm usually doing my day end at 10 at night too, LOL!! I forward my phone lines to my cell during the day when I need to go out and off I go. Anyone that has their own business knows that you have to give 110%. We work as a team though, so it works. Thanks for the nice thought!!

I am sorry,my intentions were not to insult you.I was just curious.I hope everything works out for you.Keep up the good work!

I didn't take it as such!! That didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was trying to compliment you on your success. I don't know that we are getting rich overnight, who is? It's way too competitive out there, but we are comfortable and expanding our customer base as we go. I was not offended at all!! LOL!!

well I happen to know who Mary is and her "company" is one of the lowballers giving out stupidly low prices. I have nothing against women in business and nothing against people trying to be selfemployed and earn a living... thats what I am trying to do. But I do have something against people who come into this industry without a clue as to what it take to run a business, lowball prices and not only hurt themselves, but also hurt myself and the industry as a whole. Why do you think NAGS keeps lowering list prices? It because people keep giving lower and lower prices just to get a job. When you are putting in glass for $40.00 over cost of the glass you are the industry problem.

Glass Lady, you're a Classy Lady!
Mary the best of luck to you.
We are women.............hear us roar

NAGS lowers prices cause Mitchell owns 'em, and cow-tows to the insurance industry, not because Mary is trying to run her business.

here is a quote from GLASSGOD from another post
"Re: bashing"

"doesn't take any time at all to state how DT low balls around here. I type fast, our situation is good, be better if low-ballers would charge a fair price."

pick an opinion and stick to it

you're not the boss of me

Rich , we only have your word they "low ball", and you may have a vendetta unknown to us so as far as I am concerned if she has a question relative to this forum, we should answer if poss., not just attack her. Most of your posts are very negative anyways so I ignore them, esp. from now on.

Yes I know how negative people can be here. I remember posting something last week, and how insistent you were that I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about. Even after I posted proof you still said I was wrong, and the DL from CAGG posted backing me up, and I hadn't heard another word from you.

and as far as me being negative, this is the first time I have been negative about anyone on here. I usually save my negative comments for NAGS and Insurance companies, because I really do care about the people in this industry, and don't like to see any one get screwed by corporate america. I not only have myself to worry about being an owner I have to worry about the people who work for me and their families as well. I have to make sure the company make enough money so my employee can earn a decent living for themselves and families. So if I am cranky every once in a while about people being stupid and selling eachother out for a nickel, well I guess I am a jackass.

Don't panic,
Thanks for the compliment. I'm just me. Don't try to be anything else.

blather

Blather, Rinse, Repeat

Was there a point to your comment?

SORRY MOM

Let's all play nice now!! LOL!!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com