AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
W/S REPAIR

I have asked this on Deltas Forum and never got a answer. When do you tell your customer that they would be better off getting a new w/s? Seems to me the answer is(from the repairer) When I can't make any more money off of the customer. What is safer, fixing a sand blasted w/s with a chip or replacing it?
Most of the repair only people tell prospective customers that the repair is stronger than original glass and to replace a w/s would make the vehicle(structurally)weaker than original. I am sure the urethane manufactures like to hear that. So when do you repair only folks tell your customer that they would be better off getting a new w/s??????????

Re: W/S REPAIR

We tell the customer if in drivers line of vision our state advises not to repair.Even a repair will be seen,no matter how good from inside,even if only 5 %.Think if direct sun hits,its still like a mirror in your face.

Unfortunately, there are currently as many answers to this as there are windshield repair techs.

However, the good news is that the Repair of Laminated Auto Glass Standard (ROLAGS) will end the debate once and for all. ROLAGS is an ANSI standard (like AGRSS) that is nearing completion and which defines very specifically what is and what is not "repairable damage".

Of course, like any standard, compliance is voluntary unless and until it is legislated by states.

I'm curious - drivers line of vision - is that looking directly forward from behind the steering wheel, periferral view from behind the steering wheel? Seems a bit subjective and open to the individual shops interpretation.

The old rule of thumb is to hold an 8" by 11" piece of paper in front of the driver but this changes because everyones seat position is different.

Here's another scenario that I have never been able to get a good answer from from the insurance industry; when a windshield becomes so pitted that the vehicle operator cannot safely see through it, doesn't it make sense to replace the glass and reduce the potential for a much larger claim? A $350 glass claim vs $100,000 liability loss or a $32,000 total seems like a smart bet.

The bottom line is that w/s repair does work some of the time but there are other times when it doesn't. It is true that there are many times when a repair should not be done but the need to earn money takes over and the repair is done. I do alot of repairs and I am not going to tell you I don't do a repair if I think it sould not be done. If the customer wants to try it and if they are happy with it I do it and they pay me. If the customer is happy with it is the key for me. I do do replacements and I do offer to credit the repair cost towards a replacement if they want it replaced. If they don't want me to do the replacement I just give them their money back if they are not happy with the work. I would say that percentage wise there are at least as many hacks doing replacements as there are hacks doing repairs. I also know that a hack doing a replacement can cause major damage to a customers vehicle. A hack doing a repair will only srew up a broken windshield.

Well said, Don. It's all about informing the customer and setting reasonable expectations regarding the cosmetic outcome of the repair. The shop is the expert and should offer consultation and education to the customer. Once you gain a customer's confidence you can then guide them to the proper solution whether it is repair or replacement based upon your knowledge and experience.

m-
I cannot speak for the Insurance Industry, but at State Auto we would feel more than three chips = replacement.

We depend on you in the field to help our Insured's make the best decisions regarding repair vs. replacement. Neither of us want come backs.

m,
here in wyoming at least 25% of the widshields i do are just pitted not broke, we haven't had an insurer even question a replacement if the insured wants it replaced.

NWRA vs NGA

The NWRA is like the mafia, even a hint of doubt about repairs and they will stop at nothing to get ya!

I have to admit, I wish the IGA would take on the tough subjects in the replacement industry

Re: Re: W/S REPAIR

The way N.C. had was in drivers line of vision on repair.We now have emission in effect,before if w/s broke if you could put sticker do it.Now law says if either wiper blade crosses a break or impedment it will not pass.We asked what impedment was DMV defines now as chip or break that may harm blade.Great for glass shops but state did 180 turn on customers.Dont agree,are they saying even repairs if impact point is illegal?? laws here.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com