AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PPG DELIVERING TO DEALERS ?

Have heard that PPG is selling direct to M-Benz and BMW dealers. Can any one confirm this? Also have heard that the OEM PPG glass has the OEM LOGOS removed that they sell to glass shops and the glass that goes to dealers has original logos on it. And more, the dealer glass costs less than glass ordered from PPG although it is the same glass. Can any one shed any light on this?????????????????

Re: PPG DELIVERING TO DEALERS ?

Here is some light:

PPG is OEM on some Mercedes and BMW, but their contract would call that they can't sell to aftermarket with the LOGO. (Just like Guardian and PPG are OEM on Chrysler, but they can't resell with the OE Logo on it.)

Perhaps the contract calls for PPG to distribute OE to the Mercedes and BMW parts departments as opposed to the dealers getting from their own parts distibution warehouses. As far as pricing goes, one would think that with the quantities consumed at the OE level pricing would be "competitive".

The Mercedes dealer we get are glass from has been getting deliveries from PPG for about 2 years they even have their own lockbox any glass that is ordered thru Benz dealer here comes thru with the ppg logo and rain and light sensors Benz logo! The glass is not ordered by local dealer from ppg but thru their main distrabution center the local dealer do not order from PPG. When you get a PPG glass from PPG not thru the dealer they have burnt or acid-etched the Benz logo off! We have been having trouble getting some shields from Benz on the newwer models along with most of the sport models that are blue glass so it seems the newer glass has to come from germany some are taking upwards of 2 to 3 weeks!

I do not think PPG even makes this glass. They have a deal to distribute these parts for who ever makes them for a fee. I think it is sekurit {spl?}.

WHEN YOUR SUPPLIER BECOMES YOUR COMPETITOR, YOU ARE IN DEEP DOO DOO. FIND A NEW SOURCE...

From what I understand they have a contract to deliver OE parts. Benz and BMW do not want to handle these parts so they contracted with PPG to do this. They are in the distribution business, so it does make sense to have someone do it that has the know how.

Yes but if PPG refused then maybe the dealers may have to buy from you. Maybe not.

If PPG refused to ship this, how would you then get it???

PPG makes a bunch of glass for Mercedes. The only reason they are shipping to them directly is to offer the manufacturer another service. It is just a sales tool to obtain more OE business. Since PPG started delivering glass to Mercedes, I have noticed that a bunch of the new models have PPG glass in them.

PPG sold to some area auto dealers in the car dealers effort to enter the glass replacement business. The dealers found that the retail business was not as profitable as they thought. Probably because they hired our worst tech to "man" the new venture and the "selling" of glass was replaced with some cheesy ads in the local weekly newspapers. The dealers learned their lesson and left the glass business, the tech is begging to come back and PPG lost a couple of our truckload orders to Pilkington. Selling wholesale to dealers wasn't such a good idea after all.

ubetcha

YEP!
I NOTICED THAT LAST TIME I ORDERD A W/S FROM MERCEDES. AFTER I SAW THE PPG TRUCK DRIVE OFF I TOLD THEM THAT I COULD HAVE CALLED PPG MYSELF (DIDN'T WANT TO USE THEM BUT I DIDN'T HAVE ANY CHOICE) AND SAVED THE MARKUP. APPARANTLY ONE CANNOT BUY MERCEDES W/S DIRECTLY FROM PPG. GO FIGURE.. WHAT A WASTE!

got a better price from mb than ppg

Carlite has been doing this for years through their Super dealer programs.

Just recieved 2 benz w/s from our local dealer that PPG delivered and they both had benz logo on them but the manufacture was Pilkington. We purchase from Pilkington and they can not even get the glass for us I thought some of you would get a kick out of this

PPG is delivering the glass for Mercedes, not selling it to them from what I understand.

Exactly what I said earlier. Delivering glass only, not selling it to them. Thye know how to handle glass and can deliver it easier then a truck freight line.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com