AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PRICE INCREASE

Once again we're the target! I for one am extremely dissapointed in the Guardian and Pilkington decision to follow PPG. The local tire shop is charging for disposal of old tires, maybe since they can do it, I should! I mean, why should I have to pay to dispose of my glass?? I shouldn't have overhead, I should just make balls to the wall Benjamins! If the AGR suppliers are having trouble operating on their current budget, fire a few slackers, cut off your dang trucks when you're BS'n with the boys on your deliveries. How about those company meetings requiring travel, can you please sleep one dang night in a MOTEL 6, c'mon, give up the RITZ, and please....that $45 you're gonna spend on your entree that you'll expense, eat a burger instead. And the mixed drinks and cigars and unimaginable year end bonuses, and a few other hundreds of thousands of dollars that your ****** away on a good time that the company is absorbing, forget about it! Just increase me another percentage point! I don't mind a darn bit. Matter of fact, there's nothing worse than a cry wolf! I'd sure like to see your Profit and Loss statements, I bet you guys are far better off than the retail and MOM and POP shops! But don't worry about us, kick us again, we'll still buy from you! Heck I love your shiny slick glass so dang much, you can smack us again. It's really about time the AGR adhesives go up a few bucks, maybe I'll call the boys at the lab and suggest an increase. What a comedy of fools and chaos, yes ladies and gents, that's the glass biz! What an embarrasment! I don't know about you guys and gals, but all I can do anymore is pop a top and sit back and laugh!

Re: PRICE INCREASE

Well if you don't make it the glass business you should give stand up comedy a try. Sorry but If I don't laugh I am going to cry.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by the LOF announcement....
Now... if the NAGS list prices are truelly based on retail cost, like they stated, then we should immediately get a price increase to offset the 3%.

That is funny you say that about tire disposil.I have been charging for glass disposil for years,never have had a problem.I cannot charge the ins companys(I wish I could)But I charge one timers.4.75 every replacment,they never even blink an eye,because you said it,they are used to paying that at any shop.You guys shoud also charge for shop supplies,5.65 (paper towels,glass cleaner,primer,ect)I know it sounds a little crud but beleive me it helps,you need anything you can get these days.

I'm pretty sure most oil and lube places are charging a fee to dispose of the old oil too. Being a "consumer", if you told me there was a $5.00 charge to get rid of my old windshield I wouldn't think twice about it. I would actually expect an additional charge like that. I spend more than that on lunch most days.

immediately?

i don't think anything that would benefit anybody but nags would happen quick.

i had a state farm agent come in the shop yesterday, it was funny, i told him about the increases, and then pointed out to him that ppg don't recognize nags when we buy, but they do recognize it on the Lynx side. He thought that was wierd too.

you guys must not compete for cash jobs. Cause a disposal fee doesn't make a darn bit of difference. It still cuttin into your profits. I know cause we've tried it, when you win the job at 199, and then you go to do it and try to charge a 5 dollar disposal fee, and the customer has a check written out from Mommy for 199 dollars, what do you do, take the window out and go home? No you say ok nevermind bout that 5 dollars.

No you leave it there for them to dispose of ;)

Hey gang,

I have been in the business for just about 20 years now. I operate in the Kansas area. We have companies advertising on TV, most windshields $99.00 installed including tax. Where I operate is the hometown of Northstar which sells China glass.

Noone could even pay me enough to live in such A STATE OF STUPIDITY. Anyone with half a brain can figure out those guys can not be doing quality work. Our average install costs us between 200-300, when you factor TRUE costs of doing business, and I don't mean just the cost of glass and glue. I feel sorry for you in kansas, I would either get out of the industry or MOVE to an area that isn't ruined or I'd KILL MYSELF! EEEGGAADD! I really don't know how you can even enjoy going to work,,, it's really sad

In my position, it would be a little difficult to start over some where else. I am 39 just about 40 and have been in this business since I was 19. Your correct in saying these guys can't be doing quality work. They have been around here for three years and I thought at the time, they would have run their self out of business. This so far is not the case.
I just keep on going the best I can and hope things change for the good sooner or later.

I also don't want everyone to be fooled with the reason PPG,LOF,and other's for their price increase.
PPG and LOF are having certain part number's manufactured in China. I know what the average cost is for part's from China are. They actually should be lowering their price.

agpros -you say that PIlkington and PPG should be lowing their price?! What do think they've been doing for the last five years? If you've been in the business for 19 years, then you remember what you use to pay as an average for the common parts. Now look where you are at. No one complains when one distributor after another is forced to lower their price because another competitor did, but as soon as a distributor raises their price because the competition allowed it, every one thinks its some kind of conspiracy! Everyone's costs are going up -this included labor, fuel, insurance as well as cost of goods sold.

Another thing: All of the largest and best manufacturers make glass in China or other Asian country. This includes #1 in the world and Japan based Asahi; #2 in the world, UK based and soon to be wholey Nippon owened Pilkington; #3 in the world and one of the few US based manufacturers, Guardian; and #4 in the world and French owned Sait-Gobain/Sekurit; then last, but not least #5 in the world is US based PPG who reportedly is having 20% of their replacement parts made in China by XYG -Yes, the same company who is the largest Chinese exporter of auto glass by volume and who also makes glass for Wichita, Kansas based Northstar adn who also is making OE parts for Ford in the European & Asian markets.

Yes AP, I do remember the cost of product back then and do realize the product cost now. I understand the wholesale companies had to lower pricing to compete with each other and yes, no retail shops complained about it. The retail had to lower their pricing aswell do to one shop lowering their price and everyone else had to follow suite to compete. Then the insurance companies basically tell you to do work for a certain price or your not allowed on our preferred program. They lower their allowance due to the pricing structure in the industry. I don't think they will allow a price increase for the retail.
The cost to manufacturer in the US has gone up, but the cost to sub the work out in China,Africa,Russia, and a couple of other countries is a 1/3 of the cost.
I'm not complaining about the increase, I just don't see it. When I purchase a DW1481 and it is roughly 145 for a China made product and the wholesaler is purchasing for roughly 28,he is making more than I am with all the liabilities of installations and proper procedures. He just takes the product off the shelf and hands it to you.

$28 DW1481!!!!! I'd like to see that one!

If you are not making money raise your prices. Dont blame sombody else for your lack of business accumen.

Re: Re: PRICE INCREASE

Try 1481gtn $29.29 or 1481gty $35.42 if i can buy it for that what are the big 3 making it for or buying it for.

agpros-"he just takes it off of the shelf, and hands it to you??? If you believe that is all a wholesaler does, then I feel sorry for you. Also I'd be interested in how you came up with 1/3 the cost overseas. Where did that number come from?

I applaud the manufacturers for trying to get some money back into this industry. Now it is up to all of us glass shops to unite and stop using NAGS as a pricing tool. Once we stop using it the insurance companies will be forced to us something else as well, like manufacture lists.

Just an idea, but it is up to AGR shops to make the next move.

You are so right CCC!!!!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com