AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
urethane

what brands of urethane is everyone else using? we have been using Sika since the early 90's and have been happy, but everytime i turn around the price goes up. i am now using ASAP, but i know another glass shop thati is using dinitrol and likes it. any suggestions. we do mostly mobile work.

Re: urethane

We like DOW.They have the best customer input.All have had problems but they work with you to fix problems.Also they do training at no charge.Great sales rep will call back,others we have waited days.Had a boat we put glass in,3M rep gave wrong info,dow told us how to call Sika for saltwater resistance urethane.Paid up for but worked good.

I concur, we use nothing but Dow. "One" is the product we use for every install. Doesn't matter what the temp, we use OneBP.

bqa,dow one in the colder months,400hv in the warmer months.Very good product for a very good price!

Almost forgot to tell you,Make sure you order the 40ml or 1.40 0z glass primer bottels,5500.It is much cheaper to use this type of primer than the primer tubes.The primer prices seem very resonable along with the pinchweld primer(1504).Try it!

Dow, mostly Beta One. Still keep U216 around for the very fast & cold installs.

Never a problem in almost 20 years. And yes, buy the 5500 glass primer in cans along with the 5404 pinchweld primer. Glass primer in cans is very efficient.

The Beta One in the large EP sausages is extremely efficient. THe advantages of efficiency outweigh any complaints about the size of the gun by a mile.

And the 5201 is GREAT too when doing corrosion work.

A complete system, for any installations.

We also do lots of equipment and machinery installs on some LARGE parts. We've even found lately that it can be used on some acrylic equipment installations also.

We are using SIKA. Tried the Dinotrol for about a year and that was a year too long. We had nothing but leaks or urethane that was still wet months later using Dino.

Thanks for the help. I have tried the Dow products but they are about the same price as Sika.Good info on the Dinitrol. I guess i will probably just have to stay with Sika. I had trouble getting Dow One outof the tube without heating it, and i guess your not supposed to heat it.

I've used Sika, 3M and Dow. I like them all, but I've been very happy with both Dow and Sika. Sika has a product called XB4 (until they name it later) that's cold applied and works from 0-120 degrees with a 1 hour SDAT with duel airbags. That's what I'm using now and I really like it.

We use SIKA ASAP, the start-up costs are a little steep for the heaters, but the master packs with all the primers are nice and the bottles of primer are good to have on hand for serious corrosion jobs.

I switched from SIKA to DINITROL about 9 months ago & enjoy working with it in all weather. Here in the northeast we need our urethanes to be able to adapt to the ever changing climate not just the seasons. I prefer the 501HV & the 9000(high modulus/non conductive) over all SIKA brands because the urethane reacts the same in all temps & climates, also you don't need to add the expense of the heating units & when you use half a tube you can still use it on the next vehicle unlike SIKA. I know you can get away with it but once you let the SIKA cool the chemical mixture changes, by SIKA standards I was instructed to discard any open heated tubes after they have been exposed more than 4 hours & also to discard tubes that have been heated for more then 14 hours. Just in short my preferrence is DINITROL & the cost is about $3.00 less then SIKA. (it is also OEM for volvo & select other german cars)

Re: Re: urethane

We use sika cool and xbIV and they work great. no heating of product and i opened a tube and didnt use it al and the very next day removed the nozzle and replaced it with another and it worked great.We have found that the overall cost(urethane,primers,daubers,activators,etc..) is still cheaper than dinol., But we buy at least ten cases at a time to get a good deal.

my distributor can't find XBIV where can i get it? where can you get volume discounts on sika?

XB 5 is due out in April. All modulus, 1 hour SDAT across the board.
Been using SIKA for over 15 years and XB 4 for well over a year now. Also using COOL for High Mod. Other than a VERY rare problem with some "end of the batch" problems (they just replaced it) we just haven't ever had any problems whatsoever.

We've been getting XB IV from PPG. They're going to rename it soon, so just be patient.

Re: Re: urethane

WE buy from pilkington,guardian,ppg.As for volume discounts just ask your supplier. Our suppliers usually give us a break if i ask for it. We try to order glass and other items also at the same time so its like one big order. and they would rather deliver it at night than during the day, so we give them the option if we can. It never hurts to ask. Whats the worst thing that could happen? They are either going to say yes or no.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com