AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
MONSTER

http://www.monacocoach.com/lifestyles/panaview.html
The Ins Co's will say its a 1 man set.

Re: MONSTER

And the customer requests mobile service.

NAGS: List $139.95 1.2 Hours
INS CO. 50% off $4.38 flat labor $.98 kit

we have done a few of the new one piece motorhomes, it take 4 men and I borrow scaffolding from a contractor friend depending if they are gasket set or urethane we chare the rv dealer we do them for $300.00-$400.00 labor plus urethane, it takes at least 2 hours

Yeah im sure its not worth 4 peoples time . or the liability .

Let the insurance company's replace them!

4 men for 2 hours is 8 man hours. I wouldnt do that for less than $680, and that would be at a discount to my labor rate. I bet if you figured ALL of your costs, you would realize you are not making any money on the deal. You can bet Duncan Systems loves you. Their profit will be more than your entire bill.

Lee,dont give in.We set price on vacationers here,they say we cant do that,I tell them part of my profit is on glass,if they want to send their glass then my labor is double.Hold your ground,they will pay.Many co. wont install someone elses glass.Also we are not responsible for breakage.See what they charge for their glass,they are making the killing.They will lose on labor.

not knocking anybodies labor rates but, $680 for labor on 8 man hrs. that equals $85 an hour. most dealerships only get $45 - $60 per hr. i feel guilty sometimes for charging $40 an hr on labor.

jrobe, I feel sorry for you if you feel your labor is only worth 40 pr hr. You must not own a shop. Dealerships in this area charge labor rates of 90-110 per hour. Our cash Jobs start at 50 per hr, and they bring them to us! The local sewer guy charges 80-90 per hour. Labor rates on motorhomes should be way up there. I dissagree with you completely,, sorry

you need to consider the liabilty you are assuming as well.

had a root canal today, took one hour, cost 960.00 bucks.

not that there is any comparison, but we are in business to make money, and specialty stuff costs more.

i bid a vectra motorhome, half w/s at 1500 bucks glass included, going mobile. Think I charged enough?

i do own a glass shop. in my little rural area you can't get that big of labor rates ($85-$100) in anything automotive. if you charge those rates where i am located then you are going to price yourself right out of the competitve market here. approximate population area is only about 60,000 people here. I'm not located in New York or Los Angelos, or Chicago etc.... I feel that i am charging a fair and resonable rate for my area. not trying to make all of my profit on 1 job.

Even if a dealership gets "only" 45.00-60.00 an hour, they use book time, not NAGS hours, and book time for most shields is 3-6 hours. Did a Volvo w/s today, book time is 4.6 x $98.00 per hour ($450.00), we charge them $250.00 plus kit and everybody's happy.

Sounds like you are not trying to make ANY profit, jrobe. You dont have the volume to make a profit at 40/hr. Even the business genius' of safelite cant make a profit at 40/hr. I have a shop in the same population area that has no problem with 90/hr. I would guess it is you that is limiting your prices, not your customers.

jrobe

I live in a town of 6,000 the Ford dealership here, that just put a new engine in my van works on a sliding labor scale, the first 4 hours $105/hour than every hour after that they drop $5/hour but not to drop below $75/hour. Ford pays most dealers at least $50-$60/hour for warranty depending on their schooling and being up to date on Ford training.

It's called diversification of business. I don't just do glass. we have a a complete line of truck accessories we sell and install. We also sell trailers and have tow trucks. not to mention being family owned and operated. so maybe my overhead is not as high as everyone's on here that is busting my chops about my labor prices. doing just fine here with profits and staying busier than ever.

Sounds like you're really setting the world on fire. Why didnt you tell us you a part-timer?

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com