AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
SIZEING UP A CHIP FOR REPAIR

WERE DOES THE LINE GET DRAWN FOR THE SIZE OF A REPAIR VERSES REPLACMENT.
SIZE UP TO A DIME,NICHEL,QUARTER OR DOLLAR BILL. DOES ANYONE REPAIR IN THE CRITICAL VISION AREA?

Re: SIZEING UP A CHIP FOR REPAIR

I have always been told, it is illigal to repair a chip in the line of vision. As it may impair the drivers vision or cause a distraction. If they get into a wreck due to the visual distraction, we could be sued. Or if they hit there head where the repair has been filled, it could cut their head. The resin is stronger than the glass. So if your head hits that spot of the window, the glass won't give like it should.
Normally, I tell people it cannot be repaired if it is larger than the size of a quarter. Of course, each one is unique so it really depends on how it looks. The inner area must be smaller than the kit you use as well.

It is not illegal to repair a chip in the acute area at least in Wisconsin, but it is not recommended. Should go to a repair forum for many insights into your questions, right webmaster?

Um. Okay? Delta Kits has a great repair forum. Nice guys over there. We have a link to them on the glassbytes home page near the bottom left in the Other Forums sections.

Elron, we leave the biggest part up to the customer as they are the one who lives with it. We try to explain the pros and cons. We do repairs in the line of sight all the time, have done thousands. But we let the customer know exactly what to expect,,, a blem, a scar, you will see the repaired area. we do not have a magic wand to make it disappear. but in many cases it will be very unnoticable, or look like a water spot. We will even do the repair first and if not happy with the results, we will not charge for it and replace instead.The largest star break I ever did was the size of a basketball, I kid you NOT.18 drill points! It was a fleet vehicle and I got to track it for 3 years until it got hit by a second pheasant! I've done cracks from top to bottom. General rule of thumb is though, up to 50 cent piece and cracks to dollar size or 6". And now there are exceptions to each break many times depending upon the pit area, if it's too large for even a large pit adapter, then you have no way to seal the injector. I could go on and on, I should be training repair techs! maybe in my retirement which isn't too far away,,,I hope!

How do yoy bill out larger repairs?

I let the customer know up front what to expect from a repair before I start. I also size up my own ability to do the repair based on my experience. I've done repairs that less experienced techs have walked away from. As for repairs in the line of sight. I leave that up to vehicle owner. I show them repairs that I've done on my company vehicle (if they've never had one done before) and let them decide.

Re: Re: SIZEING UP A CHIP FOR REPAIR

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE FEED BACK

CS: How much did/would you charge for a crack repair with 18 drill points?

It was back a few years and I believe it took me about an hour to hour and a half, was outside for curing,, I think I charged about $70-$80. Had to see if I could do it, got to see how long it lasted, was it worth it? yep, good fleet account, 60 vans went 3 years without replacing a w/s, thats also why I repaired it. Would I do another like that,, probably NOT! Sometimes one doesn't know what can be done until ya try!

OK Thanks...

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com