AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
METRYX (re: D. Casey article)

I think that we as installers and or shop owners need to keep our PERSONAL information PERSONAL! I don't believe Mr. Casey has any idea how or what a social security number offers even if it is your last four numbers. F.Y.I. the first numbers represent your state that you where born in & the two middle are the town you were born in, so if they have your last four & your town & state then vaula they have your identity & second if they have your V.I.N. & your PERSONAL information then they have pretty much of anything they want perhaps tax records which are traced through motor vehicle information such as dare I say V.I.N. numbers. Please just because you do business with company's does'nt give them the right to demand your PERSONAL information. People lets start being smart here, I mean when you apply for a credit card do the people on the other side give you thier PERSONAL information? after all it is a contract!

Re: METRYX (re: D. Casey article)

I do not believe that that information is correct about state city etc. My wife, son, two brothers, two sisters, brother in law were all born not only in the same town but in the same hospital, but all of our numbers are different.

If you ever need to know anything, Go Google.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/geocard.html

Social Security Numbers
The SSN Numbering Scheme

Number Has Three Parts

The nine-digit SSN is composed of three parts:

The first set of three digits is called the Area Number
The second set of two digits is called the Group Number
The final set of four digits is the Serial Number
Area Number

The Area Number is assigned by the geographical region. Prior to 1972, cards were issued in local Social Security offices around the country and the Area Number represented the State in which the card was issued. This did not necessarily have to be the State where the applicant lived, since a person could apply for their card in any Social Security office. Since 1972, when SSA began assigning SSNs and issuing cards centrally from Baltimore, the area number assigned has been based on the ZIP code in the mailing address provided on the application for the original Social Security card. The applicant's mailing address does not have to be the same as their place of residence. Thus, the Area Number does not necessarily represent the State of residence of the applicant, either prior to 1972 or since.

Generally, numbers were assigned beginning in the northeast and moving westward. So people on the east coast have the lowest numbers and those on the west coast have the highest numbers.

Note: One should not make too much of the "geographical code." It is not meant to be any kind of useable geographical information. The numbering scheme was designed in 1936 (before computers) to make it easier for SSA to store the applications in our files in Baltimore since the files were organized by regions as well as alphabetically. It was really just a bookkeeping device for our own internal use and was never intended to be anything more than that.

Group Number

Within each area, the group number (middle two (2) digits) range from 01 to 99 but are not assigned in consecutive order. For administrative reasons, group numbers issued first consist of the ODD numbers from 01 through 09 and then EVEN numbers from 10 through 98, within each area number allocated to a State. After all numbers in group 98 of a particular area have been issued, the EVEN Groups 02 through 08 are used, followed by ODD Groups 11 through 99.

Group numbers are assigned as follows:
ODD - 01, 03, 05, 07, 09------EVEN - 10 to 98
EVEN - 02, 04, 06, 08------ODD - 11 to 99

See the latest Social Security Number Monthly Issuance Table for the latest SSN area ranges issued to date. Alleged Social Security numbers containing area numbers other than those found on that table are impossible.

Serial Number

Within each group, the serial numbers (last four (4) digits) run consecutively from 0001 through 9999.

I rarely agree with Mr. Casey in his articles, but I thought his METRYX article was RIGHT ON !!

Almost every point in the article was exactly how we should all be looking at METRYX, as a tool that can and will over the next few years, allow auto glass companies, consumers, and insurance agents associated with LYNX services the ability to compare and make choices based on verified credentials. It will allow you to further separate your company from that of your competition independent of your own current marketing efforts.

But we also need to remain skeptical because of the powers that OWN the METRYX tool. We need to insure and keep pressure on LYNX to make this tool available to their customers on all levels (agents, consumers, and insurance higher-ups). Has it changed the industry at this time? I do not believe so. I hear lots of comments "my volume is down since METRYX, they are sending all the work to Prostars shops" etc. which is simply NOT true. Metryx is a work in progress and has along way to go. Perhaps in time, a tool like METRYX can be created and operated by a truly independent company as well.

I think if most of us were to call and chat with Chris Umble and have a mature conversation, ask where METRYX is currently and ask where LYNX wants to take it he will do his best (despite being a LYNX employee) to help you better understand the tool.

It's a shame metryx couldn't couldn't have been developed as the system it was promoted as. It still has no credibility. Think back as to the use of the system in setting prices by zip code,the Lynx system still requires the assignment of rights to your liability insurance. Lynx said we would never use that-my lawyer said really, why is it in the contract. Call a spade a spade, Lynx or metryx still does everything they can to take income away from us either by themselves or as part of their partnerships.

It's a shame metryx couldn't couldn't have been developed as the system it was promoted as. It still has no credibility. Think back as to the use of the system in setting prices by zip code,the Lynx system still requires the assignment of rights to your liability insurance. Lynx said we would never use that-my lawyer said really, why is it in the contract. Call a spade a spade, Lynx or metryx still does everything they can to take income away from us either by themselves or as part of their partnerships.

I'd like to agree with you, ccc, but my company has experienced, from the start...the slope downward...of Lynx's promises...and how they played out.

Yes, it would be positive, if the Metryx plan works...but for now...we're VERY skeptical. ~Western Wishes~

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com