AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Independent Distribution

I figure most of the guys on this board already do this, but if you don’t; if your market is covered by an independent distributor, please consider making them your primary supplier. In most cases, an independent sets the standard for service and keeps the big guys “honest” on pricing. There aren’t many left. If you have access to American, Mygrant, Kryger or any other full service Independent, please consider using them. They are in business to improve your business. If you are in a market where there is no independent distribution, you have likely seen either your price go up or your service go down. It doesn’t have to continue. Support the guys that are trying to support you.

Re: Independent Distribution

Thanks for the support, DL!

Dave GREAT POST keep up the good work.In my opinion I would rather buy from you guys then anyone else.

Just to add my two cents--Sigma in Shreveport, La. is absolutely fantastic. They have another in Kansas I believe.

we had independent glass in our area, and were taken over by PPG. NOT GOOD. independent and the employees were the best. any suggestions other then ppg or pilkingtion? ( in MN)

I know the Sigma guys well. It's a good company. They are in OK and KS as well. It's amazing what having employees that actually care about their customers business will do for a distributor. In my experience the bigger guys are focused on working their own "rules" and less concerned with the guy on the other end of the phone and what he has to do to make a living. We, as well as most of the full service independent distributors I know think about our customers success constantly. We understand what it takes to survive in a business environment that we don't have any advantage other than our people in. We train our people that the windshield they don't get to the customer in good shape directly impacts the money that guy made (or didn't make for the day). The moral of the story is: spend your money where it is appreciated - and don't be afraid to ask for what you need to help your business. We will help any way we can.

DL, you're absolutely right. PPG could give a rat's #ss when they screw up, they won't do anything to fix it cause they got you by the nads. It really stinks not having Independent Glass around anymore, they used to do whatever they had to do to correct a problem---and there were rarely any mistakes to begin with. Every day or two PPG sends us someone else's order, ships our parts to the wrong location (we have 3)or we pull tip tape off to reveal yet another chip being covered up. They are a joke but we have little choice.

It's almost comical at times. I have heard, as well as experienced hundreds of stories that all tie to the same root cause - apathy toward customers. I know it's not possible or practical to choose an indy, but wherever it is, try to. If you have a conflict, try to resolve it, if they have a service issue that prevents it, tell them why you want to use them and CHALLENGE them to fix it. It's better in the long run for all of us to keep a wildcard in the deck. You will be more valuable to them and build a relationship that isn't based on numbers alone. It's good to have someone other than you care about your business.

PPG and Pilkington believe they will be the only suppliers left in the U.S. market in 2 or 3 years. All of the small guys out there better hope that does not happen.

Looks like Pilkington will be a name of the past before long if Nippon gets their way!

Another point, their are a lot of other glass manufacturers in this world that reply upon independents to distribute their products. They need us and we need you.

I understand that ppg has out sourced their delivery personnel in San Antonio. I hear it has been a real cluster love fest.

PPG is a JOKE! Pilington, is even a bigger joke! between the net works and these two why would anyone want to be here? Oh I guess that is what they want, for us to go away. How do we get independent back? They wont ppg and pilk. wont even hire the independent people that lost their jobs. I think they know they could do circles around them.

DK, MAYBE IN YOUR AREA PPG LET THE INDEPENDENT PEOPLE GO, BUT AROUND HERE THEY KEPT NEARLY ALL OF THEM.

GLASSSGOD, OF COURSE YOU PREFERRED INDEPENDENT! SEEMS YOU WORKED WITH SOME OF THEM AWHILE BACK. NO? YOU BENEFITED FROM A GREAT HISTORY WITH THEM; AS IT SHOULD BE.

AS FOR INDEPENDENT? THERE WAS NOTHING INDEPENDENT ABOUT THEM... SORRY. YEAH, THEIR SERVICE WAS OKAY. BUT THEIR GLASS WASN'T. AND TRUTHFULLY, THEIR PRICING FOR GLASS OTHER THAN THEIR OWN WAS NOT SO GOOD.

ALL I CAN SAY IS WHAT NEXT

Your right IAE, Independent was not an independent. They have retail locations and the Alliance Network.I am sure some or all off you have dealt with Alliance. PPG and Pilk think they can be the only ones left. Better hope that doesn't happen.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com