AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
tape kits?

yesterday i went out on a windshield in a 03 jeep liberty. when i puti n my cold knife and pulled it was way easy. come to find out it was installed with butyl and a urethane backfill. i asked the customer who had replaced it last and it was an independent ma and pa shop. has anyone else ran into this lately?

Re: tape kits?

All the time. Did a DW1217 FROM HECK the other day. Took 2 hrs to remove all the junk on the pinch weld,paint, and me.

A shop in Liby Mt. does it too it takes for ever to clean it off, no extra pay for the mess.

I don't run into it as much as I used to. I did a 94 Ranger about a month ago that had that. Most of the one's that I see were coming from the Eastern NC. Little independent shops and body shops were, and still are, doing this around here. I did an 2003 Suburban that the windshield had come completely loose. Bad urethane and XYG glass from one of "Grandma's" shops.

I was just gonna say the saammme thing. I ran into it all the time. And every time, it came from those shops with grandma in the commercial and 50% off windshields on the side of their van, you figure it out! This is why I closed my shops. Because I go out and have my guys do quality work meanwhile these hack shops get paid the same to install crap and get away with it. I for one will install my own glass in my cars and well, the general public will get just what they asked for...a nice and cheap unsafe installation. I hope it was worth the price they paid when their interior is ruined from leaks or they land themselves in a hospital bed from roof crush caused by an improperly installed windshield. Maybe while they are laying in traction in a hospital bed or when they have mold in their car they will be saying "Hey my car may be moldy and I got thrown out my windshield hole, but I just saved alot of money on my windshield install thanks to Geico!"

The opposit happens with rubber sets around here. Did a 65 Mustang for a cust that had the glass installed at the body shop that painted it. The idiots that put in the W/S & B/G did the customer a favor. They sealed between the rubber and body with urethane and installed the mouldings. But put no sealer between the rubber and glass. Of course the sealer clamped the mouldings down and hardley hit the rubber. leaked like a sieve. The idiots could see that the car needed a headliner and the glass would have to come out again to make replacing it easier. What a mess took 1 hr each to remove. On these cars it is important to seal these with a soft seal or after seal between the body and w/strip especialy at the bottom. The seal between glass and w/s can be thane or silicone or soft seal. The weatherstrip on these holds the glass but does not seal water/air leaks.

just did one the other day. The customer bought the car from a used car dealer. We showed him with the push of the hand how it popped out. he asked if we would give a letter to him to take back to the dealer. I wonder do these people not care about the liability its putting the customer in if there was an accident or are they just that dumb! They should be stopped before someone really gets hurt.

We see this with used car dealers all the time. Bad thing is, they assume that selling the car "AS IS" means they are not responsible if they had the windshield replaced by one of their hacks.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com