AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FORD F150 BACK GLASS LEAKS

IS IT PRETTY COMMON THAT THE F-150 BACK GLASS LEAKS ON THE CIRCA 2000 BODY STYLE? I'VE HEARD GUYS SAY THEY REMOVE THE BACK GLASS T-BOLTS AND BUTYL AND RESET IT WITH URETHANE BUT AFTER LOOKING AT ONE TODAY ALL I DID WAS REMOVE THE BACK BRAKE LIGHT ABOVE THE BACKGLASS, CLEANED THE GAP WITH A BRUSH AND PUMPED URETHANE INTO THE GAP. IT SEEMS THAT FORD HAS A DEFECTIVE BACKGLASS IF THIS HAPPENS A LOT. ANY COMMENTS, THOUGHTS, OR SUGGESTIONS? THANKS, KEN

Re: FORD F150 BACK GLASS LEAKS

Yes the backglass is defective, they change the design slightly to fix the problem in 2002 or something.

Usually the right frame close to the sliding glass cracks on the top and then needs to be replaced.

They need to be set on foam core tape to get a good seal. If they are set on eurethane you're on borrowed time to fix a leak.

Bolt in applications should be set with only foam core or regular butle. Urethane will create a nitemare if it ever needs to be changed again! I hate seeing bolt ins urethaned, please don't do it!

Common problem with the modular frame cracking lets water right in , bad design from the quality is job one guys.

Yup, see a whole lot of these every year! Cracks in the frame. Foam Core is OE and is the best way to go. Only thing I can say is to not overtighten the nuts when installing. Just need to get a good seat with the foam core.

I've done quite a few of these. We don't pull and reset anymore, we just replace them because we've had them leak worse after the pull and reset. The glass seperates from the frame and/or the frame itself will crack. Listen to these guys, use buytl not urethane. If you have to take it back out, you'll be happy to have it kitted in.

Re: Re: FORD F150 BACK GLASS LEAKS

Also check if after 1998 if foam tape on outter framehas dropped in.If it has and glass is 1999 and up leak is on outter frame.If not under warranty you can use universal molding like 2001 have and fix without taking out.Always look at frame standing in bed looking down at top of slider,if old style you see cracks right and left top of center panel.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com