AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FEDERAL MOTOR STANDARDS

I NO LONGER BUY FROM PPG/ BUT FROM OTHER VENDORS/
I DID GET A PPG GLASS MADE IN CHINA. NOW, ON THE STICKER IT SAYS," THIS WINDSHIELD CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS"
HOW DO I REALLY KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE? WHO REALLY CHECKS THE GLASS THAT COMES OFF THE CONTAINER SHIPS?

EXACTLY WHAT DOES THE DEAL OF NIPPON AND PILKINGTON MEAN TO THE AUTO GLASS COMPANIES?

Re: FEDERAL MOTOR STANDARDS

EVEN IF YOU DON'T BUY FROM PPG YOU MIGHT STILL GET THEIR BRAND OF GLASS FROM ANOTHER SUPPLIER. THEN YOU NEED TO FIGURE OUT IF THE PRICE DIFFERENCE IS WORTH IT!DOESN'T MATTER WHO YOU BUY FROM NOWADAYS. IT'S ALL BEING OUTSOURSED. PRETTY SOON WE'RE ONLY GOING TO BE ALLOWED TO BY SGC GLASS IF THE INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE THEIR WAY.

WHAT IF AT SOME POINT THE INS INDUSTRY MAKES A DEAL WITH THE MANUFACTURES, BUYS ALL THE W/S THEY NEED, SENDS THEM OUT TO US AND PAYS ONLY LABOR TO INSTALL,,,,HMMMM, LIKE DUNCAN SYSTEMS,,,,HMMMM. WOULD THEY THEN BE LIABLE FOR THE JUNK GLASS AND INSECTICIDED SPRAYS THAT HAVE TO BE SCRUBBED OFF? MAKES YA WONDER,, HMMMMM

From what I've heard, and I'm sure I'm wrong. The standard refers to it being laminated safety glass. That's it.

Heard, heard, heard. I think, I think, I think.
Do any of you deal in facts, Geeeeeez.

Check out the DOT web site.

In order to be imported, motor vehicle equipment that is subject to an FMVSS has to be manufactured to conform to that standard and be so certified by its original manufacturer. This is true whether the equipment is new or used. The equipment standards include those pertaining to:

Standard No. 205: Glazing Materials
Scope and Purpose:
This standard specifies requirements for glazing materials for use in motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment. The purpose of this standard is to reduce injuries resulting from impact to glazing surfaces, to ensure a necessary degree of transparency in motor vehicle windows for driver visibility and to minimize the possibility of occupants being thrown through the vehicle windows in collisions.

Application:
Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, motorcycles, slide-in campers, and pickup covers [designed to carry persons while in motion]

Standard No. 208: Occupant Crash Protection
Scope and Purpose:
This standard specifies performance requirements for the protection of vehicle occupants in crashes. The purpose of this standard is to reduce the number of deaths of vehicle occupants, and the severity of injuries, by specifying vehicle crashworthiness requirements in terms of forces and accelerations measured on a variety of anthropomorphic dummies in test crashes, and static airbag deployment tests. This standard also specifies equipment requirements for active and passive restraint systems.

Application:
Passenger cars, trucks, buses, and multipurpose passenger vehicles with a GVWR of 3,855 kg (8,500 lb) or less and an UVW of 2,495 kg (5,500 lb) or less, except for walk-in van-type trucks or vehicles designed to be sold exclusively to the U. S. Postal Service

Standard No. 212: Windshield Mounting
Scope and Purpose:
This standard establishes windshield retention requirements for motor vehicles during crashes. The purpose of this standard is to reduce crash injuries and fatalities by providing for retention of the vehicle windshield during a crash, to keep vehicle occupants within the confines of the passenger compartment.

Application:
Passenger cars; multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses with a GVWR of 4,536 kg (10,000 lb) or less; exempted from this standard are: forward control vehicles, walk-in van-type vehicles, or open body type vehicles with fold-down or removable windshields

Standard No. 214: Side Impact Protection
Scope and Purpose:
This standard specifies dynamic and static performance requirements to assure the crashworthiness of vehicle side structures. The purpose of this standard is to reduce the risk of serious and fatal injury to occupants of vehicles involved in side impact cashes.

Application:
Dynamic requirements—all passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses with a GVWR of 4,536 kg (10,000 lb) or less and static requirements—all passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses with a GVWR of 2,722 kg (6,000 lb) or less

Standard No. 216: Roof Crush Resistance
Scope and Purpose:
This standard establishes strength requirements for the passenger compartment roof to reduce deaths and injuries due to the crushing of the roof into the occupant compartment in rollover crashes.

Application:
Passenger cars (except convertibles) and multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses (except school buses) with a GVWR of 2,722 kg (6,000 lb) or less

Standard No. 219: Windshield Zone Intrusion
Scope and Purpose:
This standard specifies limits for the displacement into the windshield area of motor vehicle components during a crash. The purpose of this standard is to reduce crash injuries and fatalities that result from occupants contacting vehicle components displaced near or through the windshield.

In other words to get the DOT bug ya hafta conform to the specs.
I don't want to support Chinese goods either but...

Please deal in facts not hearsay.

I agree with streekyd we as the industry need to be informed & knowledgeable about our product. The standards that streeky pointed out are only the tip of the iceberg, ANSI has a boat load which pertain to pressure,expansion and every other points of physics that glass has. Also SGC will or has been slowly getting rid of there w/s manufacturing practices most of the glass safelite installs is XYG, also LOF was in the process of purchasing the sgc manufacturing half but that fell through. One point I would like to add, somebody mentioned about the ins. companys supplying the glass & just giving us labor fee's. This to me would be a great idea because then they would have no basis to dictate your cost of material,mobile fee's or what you use & all state labor laws restrict any company for dictating labor cost for that is discrimination! Plus I have a license issued by the state of connecticut certifying me as a journey man in the trade which in turn makes it impossible for any company to dictate what they think you or the job is worth. In short WE THE GLAZIER NEED TO TAKE BACK OUR TRADE! As I wrote in other forums we need to stop complaining and start re-enforcing our status as PROFESSIONALS!

STREEKYD AND JOHNNY G

THANKS FOR THE FACTS

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com