AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Just a gripe I have now that it is winter....

Isn't it funny how there are urethanes out there rated down to 0 degrees fahrenheit, but that primers do not adhere and flash properly on anything that is not at least 40 degrees.

Pretty crazy isn't it?

Re: Just a gripe I have now that it is winter....

Just another loophole to pass all the liability on to the shops as far as I am concerned. If the product fails they need a scapegoat and the weatherman is the MVP .Funny how every network call I ever got was all about "the customer wants mobile service"

We use Sika and I brought this up to corp. They told us to either pre prime the glass at the shop before we leave in the morning or prime it and put it back into the van on the jobsite as the van is usually above 40. The problem with all this is contamination by excessive handling and if you don't use the glass, you can't return it if it's primed. Corp told me to be careful in handling. Sometimes it sux being at the bottom of the foodchain.

I agree, but don't think in terms of glass only, what about those Dodge vehicles where all the urethane peels right off, how do you prime that without taking all day. You know heating up a spot, priming it, heating another, priming, etc.
And then what about rust repair, now there is two primers involved and one take 30 min. in prime conditions.

I see, and completely understand your point. Unfortunately, I don't think that adhesive manufacturers have thought about this. It's an issue that needs to be addressed. It's either that, or we could go to strickly in shop work in the colder months. I'd be happy with that.

In the snow banks of MN either it is inside and warm or we won't do it. It's sometimes more about doing it right than the almighty dollar. We sleep well at night. I wonder what they do in ALASKA? Although, this year they maybe warmer than we are even though we have had it pretty warm, around 30's most every day. Still too cold for my old body and the safety of proper installs!

I here ya xxx,We have our shop in nortern wis,and its cold over here also.I really try to get all of my jobs inside.All I do is explain the safety of it all to the cusomer and that is all it takes.

Realityglass: Where in WI is your shop? We're in Waukesha/Milw.

Billybubba, I have been bringing this topic up over and over again.

Especially in Northern climates this time of the year ask yourself how anyone can do mobile installations when it is below 40degrees? I tell this to every potential customer I meet that is thinking of having a mobile replacement this time of year. Even pulling a vehicle into a customer's garage is not always safe, as a lot of garages aren't even quite 40 degrees here this time of year.

But I still find it funny when other companies tell customers everything is ok becasue their urethane is rated to 0 degrees. Or my favorite thing some companies tell customers 30 minutes after the glass is set is "just put your seatbelt on and you will be safe."

It is so sad that the public is uninformed and being put at risk everyday like it is.

We have been instructed by our adhesive supplier to warm the pinch weld with a heat gun. Inside under controlled conditions of a shop environment is always best though.

First let me say i am not pointing any fingers here, but I want all installers to think this one through for your own safety and that of your customers.

But, if you are outside and heating the pinchweld, wouldn't that cause condensation on the pinchweld asit cools back down? Probably not the type of condensation you would easily notice, but very light condensation.

My first thought also,,,, CONDENSATION. enough to impair adhesion, NOPE NOT FOR ME AND MY SHOP!

glassgod,North of wausau,its freeking cold man

No mobile is the answer.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com