AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feedback needed

I was wondering if I might get some feedback on The Extractor windshield removal tool.
I have been using the equalizer and Fein knife for years but I have some friends that work for the big 2 chains and they tell me that this is the way to go as far as job time and wear on installers,any comments would be appreciated. I am not as young as i use to be lol and anything that makes my job easier would be nice.
Thankyou.

Re: Feedback needed

I have had an extractor for about 2 yrs, and would not give it up for any thing. Just make sure you lube with water, and exercise caution (think) when you use it and lose the neck and shoulder pain. It is fast and fairly easy to use. Very good investment. By the way I'm 55 and do 5-7 shields a day.

Use it once, you'll wonder why you didn't sooner....

Good Morning,

We use the extractor and the equalizer express.
I highly recommend the equalizer it has a sheath (it is a dewalt tool).The extractor is a Milwaukee tool, I have replaced the battery four times, the housing that holds the battery twice and after awhile the battery does not hold a good charge. If you run mobile alot get the mobile charger and when needed you can charge between installs, the charger also works for other dewalt batteries. About $700.00 but cuts cut out time alot.

It's big and sometimes bulky But it's worth every cent you pay for it. We use a Fein on top and sides and the Extractor on lower sides and bottom. Get a Milwaukee they are supposed to have a stronger gear set up.

Tried the extractopr first. At that time it could not reach into deep dashes. we switched the express. We keep one on each mobiel truck and three in shop. after you get used to positioning it you can cut top sides and bottom.

IF I can't cut it with a pull knife, then I cut it with the express 99% of the time. Still have the fein and magnum, but only use them on certain windows.

We use Extrator Brute and it is awesome once you get used to handling it inside the vehicle.

As some mentioned you will wonder why you ever used anything else. Especially if you are an old timer like myself.

I'm gonna be buried with my extractor in my coffin! The extractor, along with battery-powered caulking guns, is the tool responsible for my partner and me still being in the business in our 50s.

We got extractors early, when they were just air-powered, so our vans are outfitted with generators and air compressors. I often think it would be nice to try a battery-powered extractor, but I've heard they don't have quite the power.

But once you learn how to use it and get some practice, you'll probably find yourself reaching for the extractor as soon as you run into a tough spot, and on many windshields you'll grab it without even trying a cold knife. And the new longer blades make the toughest windshields a piece of cake!

Gary

Thanks for the feedback , I can see now that I will be purchasing one ASAP.I have been installing about 20 years now and with the big windshields and strong urethane bonds an old guy like me needs all the help I can get lol.
Thankyou you all very much for you time.

EXTRACTOR BLADES ONLY NEED TO BE REPLACED 2 TIMES A YEAR IF USED PROPERLY (DONT ABUSE THE TOOL). YOU CAN SHARPEN IT TO YOUR LIKING. OTHER THAN THE EQ BLADES AND SHEATHS WHICH HAVE TO BE REPLACED QUITE OFTEN. YOU DO SAVE A LOT OF MONEY. YOU ALSO SAVE YOUR NECK, LITERALY. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE REALLY. TRUST ME, YOU WILL FEEL A LOT BETTER AT THE END OF THE DAY (PHYSICALLY). AS FAR AS FEELING BETTER MENTALLY, WELL, WE NEED TO CREATE A GOOD EXTRACTOR TOOL TO GET CONTROL OF THE INSURANCE COMPANIES.HAHAHA!!

Bought our express in Sept. Keep blade sharp and wet, have cut out about 175 w/s still good blade.Dont force and take time works great a must.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com