AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
can you believe the price of stitches these days?

had a guy cut his thumb with a utility knife last week. i was thinking and am still thinking about paying the bill myself, but i got a bill from the hopsital today and the doctor came in a separate bill.

hospital was 400

doctor was 307.00

grand total for 3 stitches is 807.00....

i can't believe how expensive it is.

i had 3 stitches about 5 years ago and i think the total bill was around 300 bucks. what a change.

Re: can you believe the price of stitches these days?

SUPERGLUE: $2.00

Find a clinic that caters to businesses. Save about 50%. Kevlar reinforced Mechanics gloves help too.

I'd definitely stay away from the ER if at all possible. Around here we have these little Emergi-care places and they charge about a third of what the hospital emergency room does. Plus, at the emergency you can count on being there for at least 3 hours - the other place you're in and out in less than 2 on a busy day. Also - when I was in the restaurant business we had these chainmaille cutting gloves we had to wear when doing any kind of slicing. They were amazing. You could touch the blade of an electric slicer while it was spinning and never know it. If you know someone at a local restaurant they can probably order a set for you or you can probably find them online.

too much protection on the chainmail. We started using some reinforced Mechanics Gloves and cut our "cuts" by a ton.

We own Safety Direct, so we looked at about 500 different gloves at the Safety show in Orlando and came up with ones that work ... and "look cool" - which matters to quite a few of our techs.

This isn't a commercial by the way. Make your own decisions.

GLASSSGOD YOU CRACK ME UP! BUT HEY I KNOW IT WORKS,, FEW YEARS AGO I HIT THE BLADE OF MY EQUILIZER SLICED THE SIDE OF MY FINGER TO THE BONE. SUPER GLUE AND RETENTION TAPE FOR 2 WEEKS, NOT EVEN A SCAR NOW!!!!WAY COOOOOL

Expensive, but ....

If you have a low worker's comp experience rating, it is worth protecting. Here in IL there is a 3 year lookback period to determine your experience rating. If your rating were to go upe for the next 3 years, $800.00 may not seem as expensive.

Also, have you ever noticed that your health insurance never pays the amount submitted, but pays a negociated rate? Would your doctor & hospital consider accepting a negociated rate?

It seems in the insurance claims world most matters are not settled at the "submitted" rate. When was the last time an auto insurance co. paid NAGS list and reasonable labor?

I share your frustration, Fred

i just happened to think while signing checks, i pay for health insurance for the employees, then i pay for workman's comp, then i pay for car insurance.

i know there is medical with car insurance, obviously the other two are also medical related. why so many policies?

tell me the deck isn't stacked against us.

GLOVES???? HAVE TO WEAR THE GLOVES AND GOGGLES AT ALL TIMES. SAVES MONEY IN THE LONG RUN

No question it saves money. We put a PPE (personal protective equipment) program in place and really worked on making it logical and using equipment that people would use and dropped our work comp mod from 1.2 to .86 in two years.

Ditto here. Gloves and glasses in the company policies now. DRAMATICALLY dropped comp cases!!
Was a fight for a while, but once you get used to the dexterity, no biggie. One serious injury pays for a whole lotta gloves and replacement lenses.

i'm not sure safety glasses and gloves are the answer in this situation. he was loading frames on the truck and cutting cardboard with a utility knife.

are you guys telling me you make your employees wear gloves and safety glasses from the minute they walk in the door to the time they leave at night?

after 20 some years i started wearing gloves when cutting out the w/s, and i will admit it does reduce the nicks on my hands, but i just can't imagine wearing them 100 percent of the time.

For those who may not know it, superglue was developed to seal cuts. I think it was developed during the Vietnam War.

We got our renewal today on employee medical. 38% increase. You see this happen and then the insurance companies have the brass to think that a business can
just keep on going down on prices. Blows your mind. Think not what what your insurance company can do for you but what you can do for your insurance company.

JON,

NO, DO NOT WEAR GLOVES FROM THE TIME YOU CLOCK IN TO THE TIME YOU CLOCK OUT. WHERE GLOVES WHEN YOU ARE HANDLING A SHARP OBJECT(S), WHERE SAFETY GLASSES WHEN IN AN AREA WHERE GLASS, DUST FRAGMENTS, PRIMERS OR SEALANTS COULD EFFECT YOUR EYES. ITS COMMON SENSE. FINE, YOU WANT TO PAY A HIGH HOSPITAL BILL, BE MY GUEST, IF YOU ARENT GOING TO TAKE SIMPLE ADVICE TO CUT COSTS, THATS YOUR PEROGATIVE.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com