AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Below 40

Does anyone know of a glass or body primer that can be properly applied below 40 degrees? We are thinking about adding mobile replacement but want to make sure it is done safely and properly, and here in the northwest it is below 40 degrees about 5 months of the year. We currently use DOW Express, but the primers cannot be applied below 40 degrees for proper "flashing off". I know we could pre-apply the glass primer, but what about the body primer?

I have been searching and searching and have yet to find one that we can use below 40 degrees. We want to use a complete "system", meaning entire product line, so cost is not as large a factor as a good product that we can use.

I have researched several "primer less" urethanes but have found out that most of these apply to "non-windshield" fixed applications. They are not meant to be "primer less" to a windshield, and even with that you would still need a body/pinchweld primer.

Also, since I have yet to find one, especially a body primer, do you think this is partially why "close-cut" or "short-cuts" are so common? That of course would be other than the time that is saved by close-cutting. With a close cut there would be almost no need for a body primer I would assume? We do not close cut, and will not, I am simply wondering if this is one more reason companies choose to allow it, despite them “properly training(call this CYA if you want)” their installers not to.

Just wanting your thoughts and product ideas everyone. Thanks in advance.

Re: Below 40

DINITROL D-528 PRIMER 10 MINUTES DRY TIME ABOVE 30F. 20 MINUTES DRY TIME 0 TO 30F. SALES AND MARKETING 1-866-596-7772.

Thanks ELRON. We will check it out for sure.

We've been using Sika and I posed this question to corperate since it's my name and tech number on the workorder. What they told us was to either clean and prime the glass before leaving in the morning or clean and prime on site and put the windshield back in the van. The only problem with pre priming is if you don't use the glass, it can't be returned. Since the van is usually above 40 degrees, that's what we've been doing.

Just a question, I thought from the "TESTS" I took for SIKA, ESSEX, 3M ect. That primers once applied, should absolutely, not be touched #1. and #2 be set within a timely fashion, say 20 mins or so. Am I missing something here, or is it ok to use glass primers and then hours or days later it's ready to set AGAIN? hmmm I've only been around this bus for 20 years,, am I being too cautious?? ok, that's 2 questions.

What I was told in training class was that once applied, Sika primer is good for up to 8 hours. After that, it has to be reapplied. It can be reapplied up to 3 times. You're correct, the primer isn't suppose to be touched. In using this procedure, you need to be very cautious and avoid contact with the primed area. The problem is that even though the adhesive has a range from 0-120 degrees, the primer dosen't. Sika really needs to work on this.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com