AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
why buy ppg when fyg is cheaper

So why would you pay for ppg products made in china that you have to clean (some kind of film) off of and has fit and finish issues, witch costs more money than any other cheaper chinese product. Our ppg sales rep said they have an inspector there... so what its still a lesser quality product. So my theory is ppp stands for Poorly Produced Glass

Re: why buy ppg when fyg is cheaper

Agreed, Its hard to tell when you call the distributor nowadays if they're PPG are chinese or not until you see them in person . PPG has gone downhill so fast Reminds me of 80's Viracon stuff ( some of you still remember those abortions)

PPG is buying from China. A lot of their glass is made in China and stamped PPG. That may be why your having a quality issue. Besides FYG insist trying to put you out of business with their network.

Tell us about the FYG Network. Whassup with that?

FYG does not have a network and that was my point. I am tired of supporting a company that only has the insurance companies best interest in mind.

ahh. the good ole days. ya know what was a real slap in the face was the past aug. I ended up having to pull a ppg w/s out that i had just installed from one of my state farm insurance agents personal vehicles. She said she tried everything to get the gunk off ( just like I attempted to do before insalling it) But I installed it anyway. I figured I would show her what they have done to our industry even if it meant not getting her future referals.

PPG ARG

I have been installing windshields over 20 years and I can remember the days when PPG ARG was top of the line as far as ARG quality, but now I cannot stand to use PPG ARG ,I believe its the poorest quality glass on the market now. I would have never dreamed of saying this but I had rather use a Safelite glass than PPG ARG.
In my opinion I believe Carlite and Pilkington have the best quality glass on the market now.
Oh and by the way the best of the PPG ARG comes from China.
Its sad to say that too but I can get a long list of very good technicians that will support these facts.or you can simply do your own inspections,but I am confident that any Technician that has been around long enough will agree with these facts.

Maybe its time for AGRR to look into the poor quality of ARG that is being used today. If safety is AGRR's top concern then I would recommend that they install a few PPG ARG windshields and see how they fit. and please notice the distortions in the windshields , you can get drunk driving down the road looking thru most of PPG's ARG glass.Just today we installed a PPG ARG windshield in a 2005 Cadillac and when we drove it out of the shop the waves in the glass was just terrible. Its only a matter of time before someone files a lawsuit because the windshield made the dizzy and caused them to wreck or damaged their eyes from looking thru such distortion for a length of time.
Oh well I think I have got that off my chest LOL , have a nice day!

YEAH, YOU KNOW COME TO THINK OF IT EVERY PROBLEM I'VE EVER HAD WITH AUTO GLASS HAS BEEN ONE FROM PPG. BE IT A CRAPPY FIT(TOO SMALL A LOT OF TIMES) , CRAPPY MOLDING (DW1341), HAZE ON THE GLASS (CHINEES CRAP) , DISTORTIONS.. ETC.... PPG DOES STAND FOR POORLY PRODUCED GLASS! THAT'S JUST MY OPINION I COULD BE WRONG....

Have you tried a qtr. glass on 2001 Silverado extended cab.We put 1 in ,within 48 hours customer went back to body shop.When he called could not understand came unglued ,but the glass did and fell out.PPG had problem was what told ,had to replace whole unit again.

If you are interested in AGRR investigating this as Mike suggested, please send me an email so that we can get in touch with you.

For the person who stated that PPG's glass reminded them of Viracon, that is because since the year 2000,Apogee enterprises has been manufacturing windshields at thier Viracon plant and placing PPG;s bug on them.PPG's glass coming from China is made by a company named Shenzhen, the same company that makes XYG glass. The have ripped us off for years!

I have tried to tell everyone this before. Everyone needs to learn about DOT numbers. That stands for Department Of Transportation. Their laws state that the name on the glass does not matter, bot whom ever manufactures the glass has to put their DOT number on them. You will find that PPG has companies such as Viracon in the U.S., Shenzhen in China and Cristal Laminado in Mexico manufacturing glass with treir brand name on them. My complaint is why should I pay a premium price for PPG glass which is supposed to be OEM quality, because that is what they told me, when I am getting a piece of glass that was made by another company. Totally deceptive and clearly a misrepresentation of their products. I am ****** and everyone else should be too!Somebody needs to stop this fleecing of America!!!

Carlite is doing the same thing. Price out a new Mustang w/s. Carlite net priced, made in Mexico by Videro. And all of the dist have the same price. Isn't this price fixing?????????????

I think in this day and age a lot of things are being outsourced to foreign countries including auto glass. But the real question is should we be told when a part is made elsewhere? Or is it our responsibility to know our product?

Most of the chinese PPG glass I have seen, DOT 563, has had a sticker attached that cleary states MADE IN CHINA. I am not sure how anyone could miss that. But I have also seen a dw1217gb PPG Dot 22, which is Guardian, but had no guardian identifiers of course.

But like LEE stated above, I replaced a carlite that was made in mexico if I recall but I did not note the DOT# when we removed it. So I think it is happening everywhere.

I think an article on this subject could be very interesting. I think all manufacturers either assemble or get their parts (plate or lami) from out of country. Last I read up on the subject there was no DOMESTIC lamination manufacturer. There were only lami SUPPLIERS, not manufacturers. That is unless PPG got their new PVB plant going back east.

Joe you are so right! I have been trying to get everyone to understand that the name on the glass means nothing. I have even started handing out the list of DOT #'s. It is a long slow fight.

Looked at our PPG in our inventory yesterday and noted the DOT was 459, which is FYG's DOT. Just for your info.

Oh and as to whether there are any float plants in USA, yes I believe so, I think it is a Safelite plant. They are still here, thank goodness. Lets all buy SGC brand glass!

I do not think Safelite produces their own float. I believe they get their glass from auto glass leader, Asahi.

BTW, for those who are interested, here's a link to a complete DOT listing...

http://www.ag-distributors.com/AGDOTNumbers.pdf

Thanks I was going to suggest we make one.

I have seen DOT459 PPG as well as DOT22 and DOT463.

I will check our database as we track a lot information on every install we do including the brand of glass we are removing. I will see what I can dig as regards some of the more interesting DOT# to Brand names we have dealt with.

Private labeling from China will continue as long as no domestic manufacturer can compete. We can't because companies like FYG & XYG are STATE SPONSORED MANUFACTURING. They get a 10% rebate from their government as soon as a container gets loaded onto a ship.

I think PPG would like to sell more glass from their local laminating facilities, but will you pay an extra $10 per piece to recognize that OE quality? Probably not- and no one else will either.

I am glad that we recognize what we are really buying- consider though that glass is just catching up to the rest of our products in North America- look around your desk right now- I'll bet out of the first four things you can grab at least 2 are from China or SE Asia.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT FYG IS? BEEN IN THE BIZ FOR YEARS, PLEASE HELP

Wednesday March 20, 2002
ITC Finds Imported Chinese Windshields Are Causing Injury to the Domestic Replacement Glass Windshield Industry
The U.S. International Trade Commission has determined that the domestic industry producing automotive replacement glass windshields is injured by imported Chinese windshields sold at dumped prices.

Officials with PPG Industries said they are pleased with today's 3-2 vote by the U.S. International Trade Commission that affirms imports of automotive replacement glass windshields from China are causing material injury to the domestic industry.

PPG and fellow domestic producers Safelite Glass Corp. and Viracon/Curvlite filed an antidumping petition Feb. 28, 2001.

"The imposition of antidumping duties on these imports will serve to restore a competitive market balance in the U.S.," said David Sharick, PPG vice president for automotive replacement glass. "[This] decision confirms what we have said for more than a year -- that unfairly priced replacement windshields from China are causing harm to the U.S. automotive replacement glass windshield industry. The commission's final staff report showed that imports from China had increased by 275 percent between 1998 and 2000 and an additional 38 percent in the first nine months of 2001 compared to the same period in 2000. During this period, the domestic industry saw net sales decline by more than $58 million and operating income levels decline by more than $20 million."

After the commission sends its decision and the reasons for its determination to the U.S. Department of Commerce, which is expected to occur March 28, the Department of Commerce will then issue an antidumping duty order to the U.S. Customs Service a week later.

"Today's decision is very positive news for Safelite and the rest of the domestic industry," announced Dee Uttermohlen, Manager for Retail and Internet Marketing at Safelite, a major U.S. maker of replacement windshields. "Dumped Chinese imports contributed to the pricing pressures that Safelite encountered at the time it filed Chapter 11 in 2000. But Safelite is not the only domestic producer that has been harmed by these dumped imports. The Commission's record showed that the industry's net sales by value fell more than 13 percent between 1998 and 2000. Operating income fell nearly 70 percent. We are hopeful that the imposition of an antidumping duty order will restore fair pricing to our market and turn these declines around."

The Department of Commerce issued final revised dumping margins earlier this month. The new margins are as follows: 11.80 percent for FYG, 3.71 percent for Xinyi, 9.84 percent for Benxun, Changchun Pilkington, Guilin Pilkington, Wuhan Pilkington, and TCGI; and 124.50 percent for all other Chinese producer/exporters. The Commission sends its decision and the reasons for its determination to Department of Commerce by March 28, and Commerce will issue an antidumping duty order within 7 days thereafter.

©2002 Collision Repair Industry INSIGHT
All Rights Reserved

Fujian Yaohua glass Industries Shareholding Co., Ltd.
1987—This company was established in 1987.

Fujian Yaohua Glass Industries Shareholding Co., Ltd.
1991—After it became a joint stock company, this enterprise received IPO approval.

Fuyao Yaohua Glass Industry Co., Ltd.
1993—With official approval, this company has been listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange.

Fuyao (Hong Kong) Ltd.
1994—With registered capital of HKD43.68m, this company was established in Hong Kong in December 1994 and focuses on import and export.

Greenville Glass Industries, Inc.
1994—This company established in Greenville South Carolina, US, in December 1994. This company sells Fuyao automotive glass in the US, Canada and other countries.

Fujian Wanda Automobile Glass Industry Co., Ltd.
1994—In July 1994 this company was established with registered capital of RMB250.50m. Located in the Fuyao Industrial Village of the Rongqiao Economic and Technology Development Zone in Fuqing, Fujian province. It covers an area of 170 acre and makes and sells automotive safety glass.

Fujian Yaohua Automobile Spareparts Co., Ltd.
1994—This company was established in March, 1994 with registered capital of RMB34.00m. Located in the Fuyao Industrial Village of the Rongqiao Economic and Technology Development Zone in Fuqing, Fujian province.

Fuyao Glass Industry Group Co., Ltd.
1995—The Group was established in 1995.

Miaoxin Investment Co., Ltd.
1995—Fuyao Hongkong Company purchased this company in 1995. With registered capital of HKD36.00m, it is mainly responsible for handling overseas investment.

Fuzhou Greenville Glass Co., Ltd.
1995—This company was founded in December 2001 with registered capital of USD15.00m. This company is located in the Fuyao Industrial village of the Rongqiao Economic and Technology development Zone in Fuqing, Fujian province. It covers an area of 185 acre, including 32,000 square meters of workshops. This company can produce one million car windshields and 150 thousand bus windshields annually and specializes in producing and marketing automotive glass.

Meadland Limited
1998—This company was founded in December 1998 in Hong Kong with registered capital of USD8.20m. This company is mainly responsible for investment.

Fuyao Group Changchun Ltd.
2000—This company was established in September 2000 with a total investment of RMB260.00m. This company is located in Changchun Economic and Technological Development Zone in Jilin Province. It covers an area of 298 acre and specializes in producing and marketing automotive glass. This company mainly targets the Northeast China market.

Fuyao Glass Group Chongqing Fittings Co., Ltd.
2001—This company, set up with a total investment of RMB80.00m in April 2001. This company covers an area of 150 acre, and specializes in producing and marketing automotive glass. This company mainly targets the Southwest China market.

Fuyao Group Shanghai Automobile Glass Co., Ltd.
2002—This company was registered in April 2002 in Jiading Automotive Industry District, Shanghai with a total investment of USD30.00m. This company covers an area of 280 acre, and specializes in producing and marketing automotive glass. This company mainly targets Changjiang Delta market.

Fuyao Group Beijing Futong Safety Glass Co., Ltd.
2003—This company was registered in April 2003 in Tongzhou District, Beijing with registered capital of USD9.90m. This company covers an area of 338 acre. This company mainly targets the North China market.

Fuyao Group Tongliao Co., Ltd.
2003—This company was registered in October 2003 in Tongliao, Inner Mongolia with a total investment of RMB100.00m. This company covers an area of 300 acre, and specializes in producing and marketing float glass.

Fuyao Group Shuangliao Co., Ltd.
2003—This company was registered in August 2003 in Shuangliao, Jilin with a total investment of USD10.00m. This company covers an area of 1300 acre, and specializes in producing and marketing float glass.

Fujian Fuyao Floating Glass Co., Ltd.
2003—This company was merged by Fuyao Group in November 2003, with a total investment of USD40.00m. This company specializes in producing, marketing and processing float glass.

Fuyao Glass Group (Chongqing) Co., Ltd.
2004—This company was founded in March 2004 with registered capital of USD12.00m engages in producing and selling transportation utility safety glass, construction glass and other industrial glass.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com