Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage goes retro 3 is up

Okayyy ... Here is the Playlist for 'rage goes retro 3' for this weekend. There are some Countdown clip's that look like ones they have played before BUT ...The LOST Countdown pieces are on at 4:30 am. I looked at my archives on my website and the items below have never been listed in their archives: COUNTDOWN 1975 Opener blue end (ABC)
SALLY BOYDEN Shirley Got Married (Live on Countdown, November 30, 1975) ()
JOHN PAUL YOUNG Birmingham (Live on Countdown, November 30, 1975) ()
BAY CITY ROLLERS Interviewed on Countdown (November 30, 1975) (ABC)
I am interested in the Rockturnal's as I loved the episode rage played about 8 years ago. Some good Flashez pieces minus Billy Joel, rage have already played the Flashez Hi-FI equipment segment 🙁 But besides that, yeah ..... Not exciting. Rather boring indeed.

PLAYLIST
12:00AM
BLACK SABBATH Iron Man (Warner Bros Records)
HEART Barracuda (Portrait)
GTK - SEGMENT Led Zeppelin: Press Conference/Sydney 1972 (ABC)
LED ZEPPELIN - LIVE AT SYDNEY SHOWGROUND 1972 Immigrant Song (Warner)
LUNAR SEA BAND Live On Flashez, 1977 (Independent)
HIT SCENE March 14, 1970 (38: Shocking Blue, Matt Flinders, Aesop's Fables, The New Seekers) (ABC)
12:30AM
STEVIE WRIGHT Evie Parts I, II, & III (Albert Productions)
1:00AM
DEEP PURPLE Black Night (Polydor)
DRAGON April Sun In Cuba (Live on Countdown, Adelaide Festival 1978) ()
ROCTURNAL January 7, 1978 (1: Richard Clapton, Scarlet Rivera, Suctan Brothers Band) (ABC)
1:30AM
FLASHEZ Interview with Folkways Record Store's Warren Fahey, 1977 (ABC)
2:00AM
BUFFY SAINT-MARIE Moonshot (Live on GTK, 1973) (Vanguard)
BOB DYLAN Tangled Up In Blue (Sony)
GTK April 24, 1974 (827: B.B. King, Tim 'Dynamite' Burns, The New Seekers) (ABC)
FLASHEZ Interview with Billy Joel, 1976 (ABC)
BILLY JOEL Piano Man (Sony)
BILL WITHERS Use Me (Sony)
2:30AM
HIT SCENE October 4, 1972 (155: John Farnham, Jigsaw, Colleen Hewett, Glen Campbell, Mr Muse) (ABC)
TUBEWAY ARMY Are 'Friends' Electric? (Independent)
3:00AM
FLASHEZ Segment on Voice Box Invention, 1977 (ABC)
SPLIT ENZ Stranger Than Fiction (March 24th, 1975) ()
DAVID BOWIE Heroes (EMI)
FLASHEZ Segment on Hi-Fi Equipment, 1977 (ABC)
ROXY MUSIC In Every Dream Home A Heartache (Polydor)
ROCTURNAL January 1978 (3: The Sports, Melanie Bennett, Bette Midler, Neil Young) (ABC)
QUEEN Somebody To Love (EMI)
DEEP PURPLE Highway Star (EMI)
BLACK SABBATH Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Vertigo)
LED ZEPPELIN Stairway To Heaven (Warner)
4:30AM
COUNTDOWN 1975 Opener blue end (ABC)
SALLY BOYDEN Shirley Got Married (Live on Countdown, November 30, 1975) ()
JOHN PAUL YOUNG Birmingham (Live on Countdown, November 30, 1975) ()
BAY CITY ROLLERS Interviewed on Countdown (November 30, 1975) (ABC)
BAY CITY ROLLERS Money Honey (BMG)
JIM KEAYS Undecided (Virgin)
KISS Rock 'N' Roll All Nite (Polydor)
THE SWEET Action (RCA Victor)
ABBA Mamma Mia ()
5:00AM
ROCTURNAL May 9th, 1978 ()
5:30AM
BLONDIE Rip Her To Shreds (EMI)
SEX PISTOLS Pretty Vacant (Virgin)
COUNTDOWN Molly Meldrum Interviews Iggy Pop, 1976 ()
X-RAY SPEX Oh Bondage, Up Yours! (Independent)
THE SAINTS (I'm) Stranded (EMI)
THE RAMONES I Wanna Be Sedated (Festival)

Re: rage goes retro 3 is up

A few things of interest in this playlist.

1. The Stevie Wright Evie Pts 1 2 3 will hopefully not be the usual Sydney Opera House live thing from 1979, but rather the GTK Episode 933 shown on 28/10/74..this was a colour mute film transfer, but the audio has been recently redubbed. It is exceptionally good. If so this will be the first time it will have been seen on TV since then. You wont have seen this online anywhere either.

2. The segment from Sally Boyden, JPY through to Bay City Rollers interview & Money Honey comes from the missing 30/11/75 episode 49. It was not listed in archives as it was only recovered a couple of months ago from a National Cartridge Home Recording. Various Countdown segments have been recovered from a few missing episodes, but sadly no complete show. Dont confuse this with the person claiming all missing Countdown episodes have been returned to the ABC - that was just fantasy...

3. The Rocturnals should be interesting too, more shows have been recovered than I originally thought. Good to see

The hitscene marked as 14th march 1970 is really 21st march 1970. 14th march 1970 points to episode 37 played a while back.

The Hitscene archive has catalogued the episodes as "Record Date" rather than "Transmission Date" which explains the discrepancy - they are all a week out.

Excited to see the segments from the missing 1975 episode. Think we had a Sally Boyden album growing up :slightly_smiling_face: + Rocturnal,Flashez and Hit Scene. Looks like a good night although could go without Led Zep and Stevie Wright

what a disappointment, this first Hit Scene episode in the list is absolute ****! Obviously i would prefer Countdown episodes instead but I don't mind if they show some of the better clips from the show but really this is absolute crap! -end rant-

Let's hope next weekend or even next year's Rage retro is alot better.

Bernie

what a disappointment, this first Hit Scene episode in the list is absolute ****! Obviously I would prefer Countdown episodes instead but I don't mind if they show some of the better clips from the show but really this is absolute crap! -end rant-

Let's hope next weekend or even next year's Rage retro is a lot better.
Pretty much EVERYTHING about the last 5 and a half hours has been VILE!

I watched the 1978 Peter Frampton and Molly Countdown Episode and December 14th, 1980 Countdown Episode during GTK and Hitscene, as I REFUSE to watch and record such S H I T.

Which rage of course, played in the 90s.

The only thing I enjoyed was the LOST COuntdown 1975 footage at 4:30 am. The repeat of Rocturnal from May 9th, 1978.

And the FABULOUS * FLASHEZ Segment on Voice Box Invention, 1977

Bernie

what a disappointment, this first Hit Scene episode in the list is absolute ****! Obviously i would prefer Countdown episodes instead but I don't mind if they show some of the better clips from the show but really this is absolute crap! -end rant-

Let's hope next weekend or even next year's Rage retro is alot better.
Also enjoyed Scarlet Rivera on Rocturnal and the Flashez 'Record Store' segment.

The rest, RUBBISH!

If you have great success in getting your requests up every year, how can rage Retro be VILE and RUBBISH and S * * T? Doesn’t add up.

Anyway, there would be others really enjoying rage replaying a wider range of eras and music and there would be some really appreciating what rage has done this year. rage has to cater for a wide range of music tastes. It’s not just about you and what you like.

The lost CD1975 episode was the first episode I watched. I remember got my mum to record some songs to the cassette tape. That was the episode when ACDC performing live on countdown Is a long way to the top if you want to R'Roll inside the cage,also a clip from Hush playing rough touch 'N'ready. Hopefully rage will play those two clips soon if they are in good condition. By the way I woke up late this morning and miss out seeing Sally Boyden and JPY from that recovery episode. Could someone upload them onto YouTube would be really appreciate.

Looks like Rage still have an issue with Beatles related material as they cut the Wings (Mary Had A Little Lamb) clip out of the Oct 4 1972 Hitscene episode.

Enjoyed the two Hit Scene's very groovy. The Flashez inserts too except for the lunar sea band blah. Little bits here and there like the Dragon & Roxy Music clips.

And what's with the host of Rocturnal? Could he have been any less animated?

Harvey
The lost CD1975 episode was the first episode I watched. I remember got my mum to record some songs to the cassette tape. That was the episode when ACDC performing live on countdown Is a long way to the top if you want to R'Roll inside the cage,also a clip from Hush playing rough touch 'N'ready. Hopefully rage will play those two clips soon if they are in good condition. By the way I woke up late this morning and miss out seeing Sally Boyden and JPY from that recovery episode. Could someone upload them onto YouTube would be really appreciate.
Hi Harvey

Your memory of that Countdown Episode is pretty good....AC/DC did appear, also Hush as you mentioned. The Whole episode has (running order unknown):

30th November 1975 (49) (55:15) (Wiped)
Host - John Paul Young

Sally Boyden - Shirley Got Married
John Paul Young - Birmingham
Molly Meldrum interviews Bay City Rollers in Perth -
Bay City Rollers - Money Honey (Music Video)
AC/DC – It’s a Long Way To The Top
Fat Bubbles – Skateboard Queen
Renee Geyer Band – Heading In The Right Direction
Hush – Rough Tough & Ready
Dove – Lets Hang On
Jim Keays - Undecided
David Essex – Hold Me Close (Music Video)
Kiss – Rock N Roll All Night (Music Video)
Sweet – Action (Music Video)
Humdrum Segment: Bootleg Family Band – How Do I Try, Marcia Hines – From The Inside, Skyhooks – Million Dollar Riff
National Top Ten:
No. 1 - ABBA - Mamma Mia (Music Video)

Please note that only the Sally Boyden, JPY and Bay City Roller segments were recovered (up to end of "Money Honey" film clip) (and also Abba at No. 1). I think if things like AC/DC were recovered as well there would have been a good chance that would have been shown!!

I noticed now looking at last nights playlist that the ABC did their best to show bits of the episode reconstructed - as they followed the Bay City Rollers with Jim Keays (albeit the film clip made in the re-recording of 1987), and the film clips for Kiss/Sweet and Abba.

The audio for JPY's live performance has been re-dubbed (not sure why) before transmission.

Harvey - your recollection of AC/DC's studio appearance is interesting, you mention it being "in a cage" - can you please elaborate? They appeared on Episodes 47 and 49 in the studio, from Episode 51 (first show in 1976), the famous Swanston St film clip shot for "Countdown" (filmed in February 1976) was shown instead of studio appearances.

Hi Brett. Thanks for the information. The ACDC cage performance is just in my memory no confirmation. But in my TV week Countdown 20th anniversary tribute little magazine did mention Bon Scott was in a cage. The Sally Boyden's clip has already been uploaded to YouTube. Thank you Tassie TV. Just hoping someone will upload the JPY's clip.

Armin
Looks like Rage still have an issue with Beatles related material as they cut the Wings (Mary Had A Little Lamb) clip out of the Oct 4 1972 Hitscene episode.
I noticed the savage cut at the end of the episode after Mr. Muse 'Great Western Highway' as I read the playlist for Ep 155 as now I know.

Can't understand why any Beatles related material is still banned on Rage.

If you search Wings - Mary Had a Little Lamb on YouTube there are five variant promo clips of this song as one of them dates back to 12 years when posted.

Would have been interesting to see which promo was shown on this Hitscene episode.