Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage goes retro 1 - Three Episodes * * * Full Countdown Details

SO it looks like only 3 Countdown Episodes due to the Meat Loaf Special :-(

1985, 1980 and 1986. The 1980 which I thought was a repeat is not as I looked at Armin's notes from 2020. So YAY!

Full details below:

Year:1985
Date:26/5/1985
Show no:463
Summary:THIS SHOW IS HOSTED BY MEATLOAF AND MOLLY WHO PRESENTS HUMDRUM AND IV MEMBERS FROM STYLE COUNCIL RE MUSIC INFLUENCE AND SINGLE.

VIDEO CLIPS:
THE ANGELS 'UNDERGROUND'
MEN AT WORK 'EVERYTHING I NEED'
WHAM 'EVERYTHING SHE WANTS' (ENDS SHOW)
PAUL HARDCASTLE 'NINETEEN'
KATRINA AND THE WAVES 'WALKING ON SUNSHINE'
GODLEY & CREME 'CRY'
STYLE COUNCIL 'WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN'
MEATLOAF 'PIECE OF THE ACTION'
DIRE STRAITS 'SO FAR AWAY'
DEAD OR ALIVE 'LOVER COME BACK'
EURYTHMICS 'WOULD I LIE TO YOU?' AND IV RE VIDEO CLIP,
CONCERT PERFORMANCE

CHARTBUSTERS (EXCERPTS):
UNCANNY X-MEN 'FIFTY YEARS'
DEBARGE 'RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT'
THE POOKAH MAKES 3 'TAKE IT BACK'
PAUL YOUNG 'EVERYTIME YOU GO AWAY'

HUMDRUM (EXCERPTS):
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'LIVE IT UP'
RICK SPRINGFIELD 'CELEBRATE YOUTH'
MONDO ROCK 'THE MOMENT'

TOP TEN:
GO WEST 'WE CLOSE OUR EYES'
SIMPLE MINDS 'DON'T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME)'
COMMODORES 'NIGHTSHIFT'
NIK KERSHAW 'WIDE BOY'
TEARS FOR FEARS 'EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD'
POWER STATION 'SOME LIKE IT HOT'
GLENN FREY 'THE HEAT IS ON'
REO SPEEDWAGON 'CAN'T FIGHT THIS FEELING'
PHIL COLLINS 'ONE MORE NIGHT'
USA FOR AFRICA 'WE ARE THE WORLD'

Year:1980
Date:10/02/1980
Show no:226
Summary:GUEST PRESENTER IS TED MULRY FROM TED MULRY GANG.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
STOCKLEY SEE MASON 'LUCY'
EDITH BLISS 'IF IT'S LOVE YOU WANT'
JOHNNY CHESTER & HOTSPUR 'I LOVE YOU SO REBECCA'
TED MULRY GANG 'SAVE ME'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS MUSIC CLIPS:
QUEEN 'CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE'
GARY NUMAN 'ARE FRIENDS ELECTRIC','CARS','COMPLEX'
LEIF GARRETT 'MEMORISE YOUR NUMBER'
BLONDIE 'UNION CITY BLUE'
CLIFF RICHARD 'CARRIE'
SPLIT ENZ 'I GOT YOU'
DISCO CHECK:
BONNIE POINTER 'HEAVEN MUST HAVE SENT YOU'
AMII STEWART 'JEALOUSY'
NICK STRAKER 'WALK IN THE PARK'
RITZ 'LOCOMOTION'
OVERSEAS HUMDRUM ITEMS:
HEAD BOYS 'THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME'
B-52'S 'ROCK LOBSTER'
BOOMTOWN RATS 'DIAMOND SMILES'
SPECIALS 'MESSAGE TO YOU RUDI'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
COLD CHISEL 'CHOIR GIRL'
MI-SEX 'COMPUTER GAMES'
JACKSONS 'BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE'
JUDY TZUKE 'STAY WITH ME TILL DAWN'
STYX 'BABE'
COLLEEN HEWETT' DREAMING MY DREAMS OF YOU'
POLICE 'MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE'
BUGGLES 'VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR'
KC AND THE SUNSHINE BAND 'PLEASE DON'T GO'
RUPERT HOLMES 'ESCAPE'
MICHAEL JACKSON 'DON'T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH'

Year:1986
Date:9/3/1986
Show no:499
Summary:THIS SHOW FEATURES AN IV WITH STEVIE NICKS RE PRICE OF SUCCESS. MOLLY PRESENTS HUMDRUM.
VIDEO CLIPS:
INXS 'KISS THE DIRT (FALLING FROM THE MOUNTAIN)'
MARTIN PLAZA 'CONCRETE AND CLAY'
HUNTERS AND COLLECTORS 'SAY GOODBYE'
PUBLIC IMAGE LIMITED 'RISE'
WHITNEY HOUSTON 'HOW WILL I KNOW'
SIMPLY RED 'HOLDING BACK THE YEARS'
PAUL HARDCASTLE 'DON'T WASTE MY TIME'
FIVE STAR 'SYSTEM ADDICT' AND IV RE SINGLE
FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS 'SUSPICIOUS MINDS'
STARSHIP 'SARA'
STEVIE NICKS 'TALK TO ME'
CHARTBUSTERS (EXCERPTS):
JIMMY BARNES 'RIDE THE NIGHT AWAY'
EDDIE MURPHY 'PARTY ALL THE TIME'
CLEMONS/BROWNE 'YOU'RE A FRIEND OF MINE'
FAR CORPORATION 'STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN'
HUMDRUM (EXCERPTS):
JOHN TAYLOR 'I DO WHAT I DO'
MADNESS 'UNCLE SAM'
PRINCE 'KISS'
OZZY OSBOURNE 'SHOT IN THE DARK'
TOP TEN:
DEE C LEE 'SEE THE DAY'
VENETIANS 'SO MUCH FOR LOVE'
STARSHIP 'WE BUILT THIS CITY'
FEARGAL SHARKEY 'YOU LITTLE THIEF'
PSEUDO ECHO 'LOVE AN ADVENTURE'
MARTIN PLAZA 'CONCRETE AND CLAY'
FEARGAL SHARKEY 'A GOOD HEART'
BRONSKI BEAT 'HIT THAT PERFECT BEAT'
DIONNE & FRIENDS 'THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR'
BILLY OCEAN 'WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING'

Re: rage goes retro 1 - Three Episodes * * * Full Countdown Details

I have the 1980 episode, it has a counter on it so is not aired and is from a backup tape or something.

We're finally back!
Thanks as always for the details, Jason. I'm looking forward to these. :grinning:

Welcome back Luuuc :)

I did get a reply when I sent them a complaint email about the great January rip off we have endured, so hopefully next week has a bit more, with this week obviously having a send off for Meat Loaf.

Nice to get 3 Countdown's that have not aired before, although I did also have a time-coded version of the 1980 episode it will be good to get a cleaner version with just the ABC watermark and Rage titles which invariably appear on live studio performances. The 1985 one is appropriate and good to get a 1986 show aired as it is only the 25th that they have shown from that year in 30 years of repeats, which is just barely half of them so there are still a lot to go.

Hopefully we do get a few more episodes for Dylan hurts my eyes and ears.

The 1980 episode is the last one known to exist from 1980 that Rage hadn't shown, so if you have been recording them since 1993 you will now have the complete set for that year. The two lost episodes May18 (Steve Gilpin, Mi-Sex) and May 25 (Bob Geldof) are not thought to exist but hopefully they turn up somewhere someday, but other than those we now have the lot.

Armin
Nice to get 3 Countdown's that have not aired before, although I did also have a time-coded version of the 1980 episode it will be good to get a cleaner version with just the ABC watermark and Rage titles which invariably appear on live studio performances. The 1985 one is appropriate and good to get a 1986 show aired as it is only the 25th that they have shown from that year in 30 years of repeats, which is just barely half of them so there are still a lot to go.

Hopefully we do get a few more episodes for Dylan hurts my eyes and ears.

The 1980 episode is the last one known to exist from 1980 that Rage hadn't shown, so if you have been recording them since 1993 you will now have the complete set for that year. The two lost episodes May18 (Steve Gilpin, Mi-Sex) and May 25 (Bob Geldof) are not thought to exist but hopefully they turn up somewhere someday, but other than those we now have the lot.
I never got the 1980 Episode rage played hours ago on Timer Code, so it was the first time me seeing it since then when I was a kid!

So, it's so nice to have a copy, especially in 4.3 full picture, as I record on my favourite EX79 which does 4.3 with no watermark :-)

The 1980 Episode REALLY was the highlight for me, everything about 1980 for Countdown was so perfect. Tee Gary Numan interview was just EVERYTHING!

As was Edith Bliss performing in the Countdown studio with those great lights behind her and the lights behind Ted Mulry and the way he was cut out! The ending with the audience dancing to Michael Jackson was so utterly magical, there will never be a time like that again. Brought me so much joy! * And Leif Garret was FABULOUS!!!!!!! Seeing Blondie with Union City Blues was so great as part of the episode and love Ritz with Locomotion and Nick Straker with WALK IN THE PARK!!!!!!!! And may I add, I ALWAYS get SO nostalgic when I see Split Enz with i Got You, 1980 was the first year I really started watching Countdown properly and the video to I Got You was an obsession of mine in 1980 and I feel like I transported way back to 1980 every time I see it as it was on Countdown where I would see it every week as well as Computer Games from Mi-Sex xxxxx
My 2nd favourite of the night was the 1986 Episode, I really SO enjoyed it! Did anyone notice that rage put the date for the 1980 Episode - February 10, 1980 during Simply, Red 'Holding Back The Years' ... Then changed it later to the right date! * Was SO great to see the Five Star interview, as I recorded that originally on that very episode in 1986! Also loved Paul Hardcastle with 'Don't Waste my Time' which I already have but it is a favourite of mine, so neon and 80s Funk :-) Also enjoyed the Stevie Nicks small interview. When I went to Molly's house in 2018, the main lounge room still has the very same Egyptian painting on the whole wall, amazing!

Finally, my least favourite of the night was the 1985 Episode.. It generally bored the pants out of me. It had no spirit or energy and the clips were very basic 1985 videos. I liked when Gavin Wood was shown with Meat Loaf though, reading the Top Ten and the Style Council interview and Dead or Alive. Apart from that ... yawn ....

Very annoying that the Meat Loaf special went for almost 1 hour and 40 minutes! I was so longing for more Countdown after the 1986 Countdown!

I didn't feel like Countdown truly started till the 1980 Episode, it was so special :-)

Meatloaf success was centered around Bat1 in late 70s and then Bat 2 in the early 90s.

He never had success with his other albums and singles in Australia.

Dead Ringer only reached No65 on our charts, and the other videos shown last night from the 80s did nothing in Australia, not even Top100.

Very happy fans today!!!!

Really enjoyed the Meat Loaf Ep he's a very funny guy and I love 1985 Eps in general. The 1980 IV was great too - anyone know what 1980 Ep it's from?

1980 was great too - loved the Gary Numan IV especially when Molly asked him about Bowie

Thanks Armin

So every episode that exists from 1980 has now been shown on Rage...finally....now if we can only get the handful that remain from 1981 and 1982....I should have been proactive and requested those for this year too, but let us see what happens...whilst the 1985 and 1986 shows are good to fill gaps, at the end of the day they both are just wall to wall music videos, which is why 1980 is SO MUCH more interesting...

The two missing Countdowns from 1980 as mentioned by Armin were recorded in Studio 41 Brisbane, whether that has anything to do with their absence from archives Im not sure, but for those interested, here was the line-ups

18th May 1980 (240) (53:44) (Wiped) – Recorded Studio 41 Brisbane
Hosts – Steve Gilpin & Don Martin

Film of Mi-Sex arriving Sydney Airport
Preview of Mi-Sex – Space Race (1: 30)
Mi-Sex – People
Angels – No Secrets
Sharon O’Neill – Words
Jo Jo Zep & Falcons – All I Wanna Do
Spilt Enz – I Hope I Never
Sky – Toccatta (Music Video – Excerpt Only)
Gary Numan – We Are Glass (Music Video)
Tourists – I Only Wanna Be With You (Music Video)
Willie Nelson – One For My Baby (And One More For The Road) (Music Video – Excerpt Only)
Humdrum – New Musik – Living By Numbers (Music Video), UK Squeeze – Another Nail In My Heart (Music Video), Genesis – Turn It On Again (Music Video)

National Top Ten:
10. Bette Midler – The Rose
9. Major Matchbox – Rockabilly Rebel
8. Daryl Cotton – Same Old Girl
7. The Motels – Total Control
6. B52’s – Rock Lobster
5. Janis Ian – Fly Too High
4. Rocky Burnette – Tired Of Toein’ the Line
3. Player One – Space Invaders
2. The Pretenders – Brass In Pocket
No. 1 – Split Enz – I Got You (Music Video)

25th May 1980 (241) (54:26) (Wiped) – Recorded Studio 41 Brisbane
Host – Gary Numan (scheduled, believed to have been replaced by Bob Geldof)

The Numbers – Modern Song
Mental As Anything – Come Around
Kim Hart – Love At First Night
J. Geils Band – Come Back (Music Video)
Christopher Cross – Ride Like The Wind (Music Video)
Motors – Love & Loneliness (Music Video)
UK Squeeze – Another Nail In My Heart (Music Video)
Queen – Save Me (Music Video)
Peter Gabriel – Games Without Frontiers (Music Video)
Pat Benatar – We Live For Love (Music Video)
Chartbusters – Paul McCartney – Coming Up (Music Video), The Vapors – Turning Japanese (Music Video), Godley & Crème – An Englishman In New York (Music Video)
Humdrum – The Veterans – Ain’t No Age for Rock N Roll (Music Video), Janis Ian – Fly Too High (Music Video), Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Geno (Music Video)
Rachel Sweet – Baby Lets Play House (Music Video)

National Top Ten:
10. Major Matchbox – Rockabilly Rebel
9. Mi-Sex - People
7. Pink Floyd – Another Brick In The Wall
6. B52’s – Rock Lobster
6. Janis Ian – Fly Too High
5. The Motels – Total Control

Brett (2)
Thanks Armin

So every episode that exists from 1980 has now been shown on Rage...finally....now if we can only get the handful that remain from 1981 and 1982....I should have been proactive and requested those for this year too, but let us see what happens...whilst the 1985 and 1986 shows are good to fill gaps, at the end of the day they both are just wall to wall music videos, which is why 1980 is SO MUCH more interesting...

The two missing Countdowns from 1980 as mentioned by Armin were recorded in Studio 41 Brisbane, whether that has anything to do with their absence from archives Im not sure, but for those interested, here was the line-ups

18th May 1980 (240) (53:44) (Wiped) – Recorded Studio 41 Brisbane
Hosts – Steve Gilpin & Don Martin

Film of Mi-Sex arriving Sydney Airport
Preview of Mi-Sex – Space Race (1: 30)
Mi-Sex – People
Angels – No Secrets
Sharon O’Neill – Words
Jo Jo Zep & Falcons – All I Wanna Do
Spilt Enz – I Hope I Never
Sky – Toccatta (Music Video – Excerpt Only)
Gary Numan – We Are Glass (Music Video)
Tourists – I Only Wanna Be With You (Music Video)
Willie Nelson – One For My Baby (And One More For The Road) (Music Video – Excerpt Only)
Humdrum – New Musik – Living By Numbers (Music Video), UK Squeeze – Another Nail In My Heart (Music Video), Genesis – Turn It On Again (Music Video)

National Top Ten:
9. Major Matchbox – Rockabilly Rebel
7. The Motels – Total Control
6. B52’s – Rock Lobster
5. Janis Ian – Fly Too High

25th May 1980 (241) (54:26) (Wiped) – Recorded Studio 41 Brisbane
Host – Gary Numan (scheduled, believed to have been replaced by Bob Geldof)

The Numbers – Modern Song
Mental As Anything – Come Around
Kim Hart – Love At First Night
J. Geils Band – Come Back (Music Video)
Christopher Cross – Ride Like The Wind (Music Video)
Motors – Love & Loneliness (Music Video)
UK Squeeze – Another Nail In My Heart (Music Video)
Queen – Save Me (Music Video)
Peter Gabriel – Games Without Frontiers (Music Video)
Pat Benatar – We Live For Love (Music Video)
Chartbusters – Paul McCartney – Coming Up (Music Video), The Vapors – Turning Japanese (Music Video), Godley & Crème – An Englishman In New York (Music Video)
Humdrum – The Veterans – Ain’t No Age for Rock N Roll (Music Video), Janis Ian – Fly Too High (Music Video), Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Geno (Music Video)
Rachel Sweet – Baby Lets Play House (Music Video)

National Top Ten:
10. Major Matchbox – Rockabilly Rebel
9. Mi-Sex - People
7. Pink Floyd – Another Brick In The Wall
6. B52’s – Rock Lobster
6. Janis Ian – Fly Too High
5. The Motels – Total Control

So not fair about the two missing 1980 Countdown Episodes!

I wonder if they are actually wiped or wandering somewhere else. In the last 10 years, Patrick requested the 1980 James Frued Hosted Episode and the 1983 Lene Lovich Hosted Episode and they were never listed in the Archival information which I bought from the ABC. So the two missing 1980 Episodes COULD very possibly still be alive and well!

Maybe, some of us should email rage and ask, I think I may do so this week. Just for future reference and if found, they could be played next year with any luck, if found and not wiped!

Maybe because as you said, they were filmed in Brisbane. Possibly the tapes are in Brisbane? 1980 was so long ago that they could be anywhere rotting away :-(