Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No Retro January

Retro means different things to different people. Remember when Rage first started playing Countdowns it was only six years since it had ended. Perhaps we need two retro months- one for 60's-80's and another for the 90's-00's

Times are changing and the whole nature of Retro Season is changing too. Even 2000 is now 20 years ago. When Rage first started showing old Countdowns they were only 6 years old. We need to grasp that concept I think.

Whilst it is disappointing that a January tradition has come to an end, sadly because of the pandemic for much of the year all staff including those at the ABC have had to work from home. Even now only a very small percentage of the workforce is back in an office. They cannot access older format tapes from the archive for digital conversion from home. Even the Countdowns we see are now 35 to 40 years old. I was expecting January to be completely cancelled due to all the issues Covid have caused in terms of producing a show relying purely on archival footage which has to be converted and rendered for transmission. As I said, the work cannot be done from home. We can be grateful they are making an effort and aiming for February. It is better than nothing believe me. Hopefully they wont take on board all the facebook requests for 2000's material, but lets face it, a large number of people of that generation on social media would now certainly regard that period as retro - and so will the Rage staff. Hopefully some of the Countdowns that have been requested will be shown.

I hate that the 00's are now Retro. Playing 00's r&b means a complete no watch for me.

I would only tune in for Countdown and Rock Arena, unfortunately the Early 00's are now retro just like how in the 90's the 80's and 70's were Retro.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh ...

Unfortunately for Gen Y most of the music from the '00's sucked. So much so that many of them are going back to 80's music and pop culture. You see it all over you tube kids today loving music from the 60's to the 80's and bemoaning that they were born too late :relaxed:

Brett (2)
sadly because of the pandemic for much of the year all staff including those at the ABC have had to work from home. Even now only a very small percentage of the workforce is back in an office. They cannot access older format tapes from the archive for digital conversion from home.
I get this, but there have been some excellent vault episodes throughout the year. Surely some of the same people are involved in retro month? If things have really been that bad for rage staff, I don't want to give them ideas... but why haven't they dropped the ball on the vault episodes as well? Yes, they were off for a few weeks with Dr. Who repeats, and there have been a handful of really short vault episodes - but other than that, they have been consistently producing them each week, with lots of music videos that haven't been aired since they were new releases in the late 80s/90s.

OK, Triple J Hottest 100 will hopefully NOT encroach on February. I just checked, and it airs on radio on 23 January 2021. That leaves the following weekend (30-31 January 2020) for rage to get this out of their system. I think they have of late aired the Hottest 100 on rage the weekend after it airs on Triple J.

Especially after the 1980 & 1982 Countdowns we had last January, Plus the Rage Guest Programmers from 1999 too, What else could the ABC Archives dig out? Rock Arena from 1988?

ohnoitisnathan
Brett (2)
sadly because of the pandemic for much of the year all staff including those at the ABC have had to work from home. Even now only a very small percentage of the workforce is back in an office. They cannot access older format tapes from the archive for digital conversion from home.
I get this, but there have been some excellent vault episodes throughout the year. Surely some of the same people are involved in retro month? If things have really been that bad for rage staff, I don't want to give them ideas... but why haven't they dropped the ball on the vault episodes as well? Yes, they were off for a few weeks with Dr. Who repeats, and there have been a handful of really short vault episodes - but other than that, they have been consistently producing them each week, with lots of music videos that haven't been aired since they were new releases in the late 80s/90s.
The vault episodes with clips from the 80s and 90s are a different kettle of fish to complete Countdown episodes in the archives. The former have been digitised, the latter not.

Wow, glad I dropped in to see what was happening. I saw the playlists for January and thought oh no.......

I am not overly sympathetic to this decision, covid or not, the ABC gets well over a billion dollars a year in taxpayer money. Covid or no covid, they still get the money and still pay the staff.

Oh well, February is better than it not happening at all, though like many here I was looking forward to 5 weeks and not 4.

I have had a shocker and forgot about RAGE retro until tonight.

It's turned out a godsend for me, because I didn't miss anything for the 1st time since the 1993 retro started.

I just saw this afternoon the ABC broadcast a New Wave Special. From the clips I saw they were all Australian (Jo Jo Zep Taxi Mary, and Edith Bliss Heart of Stone). Was it all Australian? Did anyone happen to record it?

Some awesome clips in there and I missed it :unamused: Will keep an eye on next Saturday night for sure

So this Saturday i see we have a Metallica special to celebrate 40 years. Must have took a bit of time pulling this one together. Surely 5 episodes of Countdown wouldn't have taken much more effort? Bring on February!