Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ABC HD & ABC standard

ohnoitisnathan
Andrew
Armin
Gary
Takeaway from this thread don\\\\\\\'t collect vinyl albums no matter how much happiness it brings you as it will be tiresome for the those who inherit them :relaxed:
I almost pity the person who has to clean up after me when I\\\'m gone. Considering that will probably fall to whoever inherits my mess then ordering a skip probably isn\\\'t a huge issue if they can\\\'t be bothered selling it.

I have an 80s vinyl collection that numbers about 10,000 and I enjoy it and will continue to do so while I\\\'m still on this side of the grass. I doubt it has much value financially but I enjoy it for what it is. I\\\'m not that big a fan of downsizing everything onto HDs and living in an empty little box. I still enjoy reading the physical copies of my music magazines and have 1,000\\\'s of them from RAM, Juke, Countdown, Smash Hits, No.1 etc. I enjoy my clutter.
Unfortunately Armin, in a lot of cases it will go in a skip and be lost forever. This is why people need to pass on their collections while they are alive if they can. Particularly if they know other record collectors that may want what they have.

My father in law had kidney disease and had lots of advance warning he was dying. He could have sold all his records (maybe 20,000 all up) but chose to leave it to someone else to do. Me. Loved the bloke, but it says it all about him. Too lazy to do it himself, die and someone else will do it.

I contacted every single record collector/music shop I could find in Victoria and none were prepared to come out unless I guaranteed I would sell them to them. How can I guarantee that when I don\'t know what they will offer ? I wanted the lot gone in one go and indicated I would be very reasonable on price, but still nothing.

My father in law was a \"nickel and dime\" collector....would pay more than $2 for an album and 50 cents for a single. I would have been happy to get a $1 a record x 20,000. He didnt get his money back. And after 3 years since his death, this only concluded a couple of months ago so lots of near endless stress.

Don\'t think a collection is easy to sell because you see adds with people wanting to buy vinyl. They want to go through your collection, find albums that are going for $200 second hand and offer you $10 for them.
In terms of making a profit, you're much better to sell each piece individually, rather than as a bulk lot.

Sometimes I see bulk lots of records/singles/VHS tapes listed on eBay, and they always sell for a fraction of the price they could (if they sell at all; often they don't) if the items were listed individually. I once e.g. sold a bunch of 6 VHS compilations I paid $60 for combined for $300 on eBay when listing each one separately.

The trouble is, it's a LOT more effort to list and sell each item individually, then you have to sort out postage and addressing labels etc. It's more effort than it's worth, really, if items sell for only a few dollars.
I worked out that @20,000 items, selling individually, far exceeds whats left of my life at 52 years of age. If I lived to be 100 ( very unlikely :laughing: ), I would still need to sell 416 items a year....more than one a day. Which is why I refused to do it.

If my father in law had got off his **** and made efforts to sell well before he died, he would have got far more money for his collection and he knew more about it, knew some fellow collectors etc.

I think if people genuinely care for their collection, they will know when the time is right to move it on. Perhaps keep a small bit, but if you leave a huge collection for some poor ******* to deal with when you are gone its likely the person who the money is going to will get bugger all in the end. And many dealers when buying collections will send a percentage to landfill.....thats why they try and pick through and take what they know is worth money and will sell.

Its entirely up to you what you do Jason. No one is telling anyone what they can and cant do. I am in my mid 50's, technology isn't something that only young people can understand. While you might not want to learn anything new, maybe some of the others do ?

I collect music videos and have many that are in mint condition compared to what is out there and many that I have improved substantially myself. Lets just say we agree to disagree.

I have collected Music videos for a very long time to and I have many in Mint condition as well.

Personally, I wish they'd bring back analogue TV. I don't like digital TV with all of the pixelation you get sometimes, making it unwatchable. I think it also gives Countdown a more-authentic vibe when you get some interference or something in the background - just like it was back in the 80s! :laughing:

Also, am I the only one here who still records rage on VHS? I don't trust digital technology. I've still got VHS tapes from 1984 that play fine. I wonder how many of your DVDs will still work in 2056! :stuck_out_tongue:

Truly Retro
Personally, I wish they'd bring back analogue TV. I don't like digital TV with all of the pixelation you get sometimes, making it unwatchable. I think it also gives Countdown a more-authentic vibe when you get some interference or something in the background - just like it was back in the 80s! :laughing:

Also, am I the only one here who still records rage on VHS? I don't trust digital technology. I've still got VHS tapes from 1984 that play fine. I wonder how many of your DVDs will still work in 2056! :stuck_out_tongue:
I sometimes think things would be better in analogue for me. If you have a strong signal or cable TV then digital is fine but I live in the Dandenongs east of Melbourne (not in a direct line with the TV towers) so I often cop a pixelated reception from Ch7 which seems to be my weakest reception station. I only have a 7 out of 10 signal when I try to tune it. With analogue I might have gotten a bit of ghosting or snow but I preferred that to pixelation and freezing.

I also find watching shows that weren't recorded in HD (like Countdown) are useless on the new large digital TVs as they look pixelated and poor quality there but when I watch them on my old analogue TV I get a great picture.

I stopped recording on VHS 10 years ago and will probably be forced to stop recording to DVD when they faze that format out. I still have a lot of video equipment though and find it useful quite regularly. I have at least 10 working VHS VCRs, a couple of Betas and a few U-Matics. Just in the last two months an AFL club contacted me to convert a U-Matic tape from 1978 and then a pile of Beta's from 1981-1985 arrived for transfer as well as many people no longer have these machines. The 1981-85 footage was also labelled as football but I found a near complete episode of Rock Arena on one tape from 1984 which will never get shown on Rage as it was a Beatles Special and Rage no longer play Beatles. There were also snippets of music programs or clips on those tapes such as Wrok, Nightmoves, Hey Hey etc.

Video tapes do degrade over time but you can always still get an image off it. Once a fault occurs with DVDs or digital the whole file seems to go.

this got interestingly off topic lol. So getting back to HD, as i said in my first post, i don't really see the point in recording Countdown episodes on the HD channel since it only results in larger file sizes. And also the source material is far from HD, so it would be upscaled at best. I didn't notice any difference doing switching back & forth from ABC to ABC HD to compare, did anyone else?