Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: rage VAULT 20-01-2020 (well, technically, 21-01-2020)

Reggie Rocket - I ended up leaving the .ts file "as is" so both videos are intact in my upload, they're just sped up. If you have some advanced video editing software you may be able to slow down the frame rate and sync it up with the audio from your CD copy?

Reggie Rocket
Hey, Jason, you wouldn't have either of the first two songs, would you?

OVERSOUL 7 The Real Thing
DONALD WASN'T Abbatak (The House Abba Built)

I'd especially love the second one. Although I've always thought it was a bit rubbish, I bought it when I found it at K-Mart for $1 six months after it had been released. The thing is, in the time since then, nobody has heard of it. It isn't on YouTube. I asked at a music forum that has thousands of active members worldwide including many in Australia. In a place where every thread gets half a dozen replies just to say "No idea", my thread got no replies!

Here's the only match on YouTube. And that was made and uploaded by ME when a friend of mine (who hadn't heard of it either, despite knowing almost every song ever from 1977 to 2000) found it for me at a record fair after asking if there was anything I was looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcWlcxIonrI
Reggie, I discovered last year that the 'Abbatak' song peaked at #128 in Australia in June 1990, so obviously *someone* (besides you) must have been buying it... if probably not thousands of people. I had never heard of it before, either, but was interested to finally hear/see it on rage this week.

I caught the first two videos in 4:3 SD (my 16:9 recording had some pixelation, so I'm hoping to get a copy of that from someone else - but I don't want ABC HD, as the watermark is more-intrusive, and it's SD material anyway) - but will wait to get a 16:9 copy of the first video shown, as it may have been stretched/moved to the right slightly (it's difficult to tell from my 4:3 recording).

I've uploaded the video to YouTube Reggie Rocket:

Now here's the thing with my recording: It is there and complete (although I have not played back the entire recording, so there might be a glitch later on it it). Follow me here and hopefully I can explain this in a way that makes sense.

I recorded it with almost 15 minutes leeway either side as I'd read on here about VAULT shows sometimes starting early and/or ending late. So far I've been lucky with all but one recording. Anyway, there is a glitch of some kind near the end of "Call The Midwife", which aired before "rage".

Our recorder is an LG which can record PDTV to a hard disk or DVD, purchased as it has AV inputs which you can also record from. The AV in records in MPEG4 whilst broadcast TV is recorded in TS in whatever it is broadcast in. You can then transfer the recordings via USB2 to a flash drive or external/portable hard drive and then open up in your video editing software of choice. But the recorder adds no metadata to the .ts file, instead making its own files to store that information. Windows itself has a hernia if you want anything other than a file size. Even the file's date is always 1st January 1970.

Now, because of the glitch in "Call The Midwife", our regular software, Video ReDo, it crashes. If the file does open, Video ReDo claims it goes for 26 hours, then crashes anyway. Playing the file in VLC, it says it goes for 5hr 30. But when it hits the glitch in "Call The Midwife" it shows 2hr 30 has passed, although on screen it is still playing the scene with the glitch in it. These are the only programs we have that will open .ts files (although VLC won't open our recorder's raw .TS files with sound, only edited .ts files output by Video ReDo).

If this information is of any use to anybody, let me know and if it is useful, I'll upload my raw recording somewhere. It is 6.1GB.

Reggie Rocket
Now here's the thing with my recording: It is there and complete (although I have not played back the entire recording, so there might be a glitch later on it it). Follow me here and hopefully I can explain this in a way that makes sense.

I recorded it with almost 15 minutes leeway either side as I'd read on here about VAULT shows sometimes starting early and/or ending late. So far I've been lucky with all but one recording. Anyway, there is a glitch of some kind near the end of "Call The Midwife", which aired before "rage".

Our recorder is an LG which can record PDTV to a hard disk or DVD, purchased as it has AV inputs which you can also record from. The AV in records in MPEG4 whilst broadcast TV is recorded in TS in whatever it is broadcast in. You can then transfer the recordings via USB2 to a flash drive or external/portable hard drive and then open up in your video editing software of choice. But the recorder adds no metadata to the .ts file, instead making its own files to store that information. Windows itself has a hernia if you want anything other than a file size. Even the file's date is always 1st January 1970.

Now, because of the glitch in "Call The Midwife", our regular software, Video ReDo, it crashes. If the file does open, Video ReDo claims it goes for 26 hours, then crashes anyway. Playing the file in VLC, it says it goes for 5hr 30. But when it hits the glitch in "Call The Midwife" it shows 2hr 30 has passed, although on screen it is still playing the scene with the glitch in it. These are the only programs we have that will open .ts files (although VLC won't open our recorder's raw .TS files with sound, only edited .ts files output by Video ReDo).

If this information is of any use to anybody, let me know and if it is useful, I'll upload my raw recording somewhere. It is 6.1GB.
I've had a similar thing happen with .vob files before, when extracting them from a DVD using DVD Shrink (though I always have the setting set to uncompressed). It happens when I move the start/end frame of a video to part of the recording that has had a piece in between cut out, e.g. if I kept two videos from a program, but removed some that were in between them before burning the title to disc. So, to avoid this, I would have to make sure that I don't move the chapter boundaries beyond those of the recording, where footage has been cut/edited out.

My files affected this way would have silly file durations, like 26 hours something, or even 0:00 or 0:01.

The way I have overcome it, when no longer having access to the source files to rip them again, is to use the program 'DVDVob2Mpg'. This extracts the mpg from the .vob file (no compression is involved). The mpg that is extracted always has the correct track duration. I can then add the file to an editing or DVD authoring program if I want to.

Perhaps you need to find something similar for whatever format the raw file is, so you can extract it as an mpg (or whatever). I'm pretty sure the program I use was free to download.

Reggie Rocket

Reggie, there is a program called TS Doctor that might help
http://www.cypheros.de/tsdoctor2_e.html

Unfortunately its not free, there is a trial but I am not sure what the limitations are.
Edit : Just read there is a full 30 day trial, presumably thats means what it says.

Yes, I have both the first two videos Reggie, I definitely kept them two.

Andrew

Unfortunately its not free, there is a trial but I am not sure what the limitations are.
Edit : Just read there is a full 30 day trial, presumably thats means what it says.
Andrew, that program worked perfectly! Thank you very much! It also looks like there's a lot of functionality in it to explore.

I used it on an old recording of ABC3 from March 2018 but it couldn't fix it - but it really tried! Mind you, I'd given up on that recording ages ago. I only didn't delete it in case it was a corrupt patch on the hard drive.

If anybody needs a copy of that VAULT, I'm editing the file at the moment (playing it as I go to check for signal dropouts) and the whole thing in .mpg is 4.52GB - so far the first three songs are fine.

Reggie Rocket
Andrew

Andrew, that program worked perfectly! Thank you very much! It also looks like there's a lot of functionality in it to explore.

I used it on an old recording of ABC3 from March 2018 but it couldn't fix it - but it really tried! Mind you, I'd given up on that recording ages ago. I only didn't delete it in case it was a corrupt patch on the hard drive.

If anybody needs a copy of that VAULT, I'm editing the file at the moment (playing it as I go to check for signal dropouts) and the whole thing in .mpg is 4.52GB - so far the first three songs are fine.
Brilliant mate, happy to hear that. I tried it once myself a long while back but unfortunately what I had was doomed.

I might even download it again for another look :)

Grant
Reggie Rocket - I ended up leaving the .ts file "as is" so both videos are intact in my upload, they're just sped up. If you have some advanced video editing software you may be able to slow down the frame rate and sync it up with the audio from your CD copy?

Just to let you know, I'm performing a cleanout of my computer in order to install a new C and D drive (and Windows). I have checked your link and your recording is still there and so I am deleting it from my computer. If I download something like this, I usually keep it for several months in case the person I got it from needs a copy sent back.

Anyway, I still have my unedited SD copy (which I am still in the middle of editing - up to Absent Friends with Wendy Matthews, so far so good) which I am happy to put up if anybody needs.

ohnoitisnathan
I caught the first two videos in 4:3 SD (my 16:9 recording had some pixelation, so I'm hoping to get a copy of that from someone else - but I don't want ABC HD, as the watermark is more-intrusive, and it's SD material anyway) - but will wait to get a 16:9 copy of the first video shown, as it may have been stretched/moved to the right slightly (it's difficult to tell from my 4:3 recording).

My recording is a 16:9 "pillarbox" recording. Which is the way I've decided to keep my videos as, for example, one of the songs by Tall Tales And True wasn't exactly 4:3 - the picture came right up to the edge of the ABC logo.

[Edit] By the way, if anybody is interested, my YouTube link above includes the B-side called "The Day Donald Wasn't" which is one of the most lyrically bizarre "90's alt rock" songs I've ever heard in my life. I used to really hate it when I first bought it, but I kept on playing it every day until our record player broke. I was 12 at the time. In the video description is every detail copied off the back cover. Enjoy?