Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'rage goes retro 3' - THREE COUNTDOWN EPISODES / FULL ARCHIVAL INFO * SATURDAY 18TH JANUARY, 202

So .... rage are playing three Countdown Episodes and both 1980 Episodes being played this weekend were on my 1980 request list! rage have now played all three 1980 requests I have wanted this month, being:

LAST WEEK:
COUNTDOWN: Date:22/06/1980 - James Reyen/Janis Ian

THIS WEEK:
COUNTDOWN: Date:08/06/1980 - DARYL COTTON
COUNTDOWN: Date: 17/08/1980 - THE VAPORS * Which I have been asking for for soooooo many years! * FINALLY *

Unfortunately, the 1982 Episode being played this weekend is a repeat they played a few years ago which I requested a few years ago but they have since played it :-( he interviews with David Bowie * COUNTDOWN Interview with David Bowie, November 10th, 1978 and
Poly Styrene * COUNTDOWN Interview with Poly Styrene, November 15th, 1977 are also being repeated.

***************************************************************************************************************************************

Year:1980
Date:08/06/1980
Show no:243
Summary:SHOW HOSTED BY DARRYL COTTON AND INCLS REGULAR CHARTBUSTERS AND HUMDRUM MUSIC NEWS SEGMENTS AS WELL AS IV WITH KEVIN GODLEY AND LOL CREME FROM 'GODLEY & CREME' RE THEIR SINGLE 'AN ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK', LYRICS, MUSICAL EFFECTS ON NEW ALBUM AND 'GIZMO' WHICH FITS TO NECK OF GUITAR AND PRODUCES UNUSUAL SOUNDS. THEY ALSO TALK ABOUT THEIR INTEREST IN FILM AND VIDEO AND GRAPHIC DESIGN AND SEND A CHEERIO TO PEOPLE WATCHING COUNTDOWN. MOLLY READS OUT POEM FROM 'SKYHOOKS' FAN DURING HUMDRUM IN REACTION TO MOLLY'S CRITICISM OF BAND'S NEW ALBUM. POEM ENDS WITH LINE 'YOU WILL BE LEFT WITH EGG ON YOUR FACE' AS UNSEEN CREW MEMBER BREAKS RAW EGGS OVER MOLLY'S HEAD STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
DARRYL COTTON & BAND 'HERE COMES ANOTHER HEARTACHE'
THE DUGITES 'IN YOUR CAR'
JAMES FREUD AND THE RADIO STARS 'MODERN GIRL'
MI-SEX 'SPACE RACE'
VIDEO CLIPS:
JO JO ZEP 'ALL I WANA DO'
THE PRETENDERS 'BRASS IN POCKET'
PAT BENATAR 'WE LIVE FOR LOVE'
QUEEN 'SAVE ME'
BILLY JOEL 'STILL ROCK AND ROLL TO ME'
CHARTBUSTERS:
LINDA GEORGE & PAUL MACKAY 'LOVE IS ENOUGH'
CHRISTOPHER CROSS 'RIDE LIKE THE WIND'
LONG JOHN BALDRY 'YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN'
GARY NUMAN 'WE ARE GLASS'
TOP TEN:
BETTE MIDLER 'THE ROSE'
THE MOTELS 'TOTAL CONTROL'
MI-SEX 'PEOPLE'
BLONDIE 'CALL ME'
PLAYER 1 'SPACE INVADERS'
PAUL MCCARTNEY 'COMING UP'
THE VAPORS 'TURNING JAPANESE'
SPLIT ENZ 'I GOT YOU'
THE PRETENDERS 'BRASS IN POCKET'
ROCKY BURNETTE 'TIRED OF TOEIN THE LINE'

***************************************************************************************************************************************

Year:1982
Date:05/09/1982
Show no:344
Summary:POPULAR MUSIC SERIES FEATURING LOCAL AND OVERSEAS ARTISTS INCLUDING TOP TEN ITEMS AND MOLLY PRESENTING MUSIC NEWS IN HUMDRUM. THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY BILLY MILLER FROM BILLY MILLER AND THE GREAT BLOKES AND SPECIAL GUEST IS RUSSELL MULCHAY,DIRECTOR OF VIDEO CLIPS LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
BILLY MILLER 'PERPETUAL MOTION'
DYNAMIC HEPNOTICS 'HEPNOBEAT'
JANE SCALI 'HAVING A GOOD TIME'
TERRY SERIO 'IT ALL COMES RUNNING BACK'
AUSTRALIAN ALBUM PACKAGE:
LITTLE RIVER BAND 'DOWN ON THE BORDER'
HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'TALKING TO A STRANGER'
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'SHUTDOWN'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
SURVIVOR 'EYE OF THE TIGER'
JO JACKSON 'REAL MEN'
MISSING PERSONS 'WORDS'
IRON MAIDEN 'RUN TO THE HILLS'
FLEETWOOD MAC 'GYPSY'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
FRIEDA 'I KNOW THERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON'
U2 'A CELEBRATION'
SHEENA EASTERN 'MACHINERY'
VANITY SIX 'HE'S SO DULL'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
YAZOO 'ONLY YOU'
MADNESS 'HOUSE OF FUN'
SURVIVOR 'EYE OF THE TIGER'
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS 'I RAN'
ADAM ANT 'GOODY TWO SHOES'
JOHN COUGAR, LATER KNOWN AS JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP AND JOHN MELLENCAMP 'HURTS SO GOOD'
MEMBERS 'RADIO'
CHEAP TRICK 'IF YOU WANT MY LOVE'
RAY PARKER JR 'THE OTHER WOMAN'
STEVE MILLER 'ABRACADABRA'

Year:1980
Date:17/08/1980
Show no:253
Summary:CHERRY RIPE INTERVIEWS JAMES FREUD IN LONDON AND DJ'S FROM 6PM,5AD,7HT,3XY,4BC AND 2WS HOST THE SHOW AS A LEAD UP TO THE XANADU DANCING CONTEST.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
VAPORS 'TURNING JAPANESE','WAITING FOR THE WEEKEND'
JO JO ZEP & THE FALCONS 'PUPPET ON A STRING'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'COME AROUND'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
ROLLING STONES 'EMOTIONAL RESCUE'
JONA LEWIE 'ALWAYS IN THE KITCHEN AT PARTIES'
KATE BUSH 'BABOOSHKA'
ROCKY BURNETTE 'FALLING IN LOVE'
GRAHAM PARKER 'STUPEFACTION'
CHARTBUSTERS:
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'DOWNHEARTED'
B-52'S 'PRIVATE IDAHO'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
XANADU 'DANCIN'
CURE 'THE FOREST'
DEVO 'FREEDOM OF CHOICE'
MI-SEX 'IT ONLY HURTS WHEN I'M LAUGHING'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
LONG JOHN BALDRY 'YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN FEELIN'
JOHN FARNHAM 'HELP'
VAPORS 'TURNING JAPANESE'
KISS 'SHANDI'
TOURISTS 'I ONLY WANNA BE WITH YOU'
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 'MAGIC'
GENGHIS KHAN 'MOSCOW'
ROMANTICS 'WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU'
VILLAGE PEOPLE 'CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC'
LIPPS INC. 'FUNKYTOWN'

Re: 'rage goes retro 3' - THREE COUNTDOWN EPISODES / FULL ARCHIVAL INFO * SATURDAY 18TH JANUARY,

For those who want information on what's on before the three Countdown Episodes this weekend with GTK etx ... Here is the list. How I am going to stay up for all the GTK is going to be interesting! ... Iggy Pop with I'm Bored with the Interview and Performance is being played again, hahahaha. rage LOVE that Countdown Interview and Performance. I think it's THE most shown piece from Countdown.

Saturday Night 18 January 2020 on ABC 1
PLAYLIST
10:30PM

THE ROLLING STONES Paint It Black (Sony)
GTK 1969 (39: Mick Jagger IV, John Hyland, Castaways) (ABC)
JEFFERSON AIRPLANE White Rabbit (Universal (MCA))
PINK FLOYD Arnold Lane (EMI)
GTK August 23, 1971 (365: Sherbet, Pink Floyd) (ABC)
11:00PM
DEEP PURPLE Black Night (Polydor)
GTK Segment on Deep Purple recording session (1971) (ABC)
THE DOORS - LIVE GTK Crawling King Snake (Warner)
GTK April 19, 1971 (293: Tamam Shud, Black Sabbath) (ABC)
GTK - SEGMENT Led Zeppelin: Press Conference/Sydney 1972 (ABC)
11:30PM
LED ZEPPELIN - LIVE AT SYDNEY SHOWGROUND 1972 Immigrant Song (Warner)
LED ZEPPELIN Dazed And Confused (Warner)
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL on GTK Interview by Jeune Pritchard and live performances, Sydney (ABC)
COUNTRY RADIO Almost Freedom (Live on GTK, 1971) ()
12:00AM
COUNTRY RADIO Gypsy Queen ()
GTK July 1, 1971 (336: Daddy Cool, composer Martin Wesley-Smith IV, Joe Cocker) (ABC)
AUTUMN The Loner (Live on GTK, 1971) ()
CARSON Blowin' The Boogie (GTK, 1972) (Sony)
CREAM White Room (Polydor)
12:30AM
GTK August 8, 1973 (GTK 73 ep711) (ABC)
ZOOT Turn Your Head (Live on Hitscene, 1970) (ABC)
BILLY THORPE and THE AZTECS Interview - GTK, 1970 (Festival)
BILLY THORPE and THE AZTECS - LIVE ON GTK Back On The Road Again (Warner)
BILLY THORPE and THE AZTECS - LIVE ON GTK Most People I Know (Festival)
1:00AM
GTK June 30, 1971 (335: The Hollies, Help segment, Masters Apprentices) (ABC)
LOBBY LOYDE and COLOURED BALLS Working Man's Boogie (GTK, 1972) (EMI)
COLOURED BALLS The Devil's Disciple (EMI)
COUNTDOWN Interview with David Bowie, November 10th, 1978 ()
1:30AM
DAVID BOWIE Life On Mars? (Independent)
GTK Interview with Split Enz - 1975 (ABC)
SPLIT ENZ My Mistake (Mushroom)
IGGY POP - ON COUNTDOWN Interview, Countdown Segment and I'm Bored (Virgin)
X-RAY SPEX Oh Bondage, Up Yours! (Independent)
COUNTDOWN Interview with Poly Styrene, November 15th, 1977 ()
2:00AM
JUDAS PRIEST Interview on Countdown, 1977 (Rage)
JUDAS PRIEST Breaking The Law (Sony)
EUROPE The Final Countdown (Epic)
COUNTDOWN June 8, 1980 (243: Darryl Cotton) (ABC)
COUNTDOWN September 5, 1982 (344: Billy Miller - The Great Blokes/ex Ferrets) (ABC)
COUNTDOWN August 17, 1980 (253: The Vapors, Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons) (ABC)
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL Looking Out My Back Door (Festival)
STEVE MILLER BAND The Joker (Capital Records)
THE CARPENTERS Close To You (Polydor)
ABBA Take A Chance On Me (Mercury)
THE BEE GEES Stayin' Alive (Polydor)
THE CARS Just What I Needed (Warner)
KATE BUSH Wuthering Heights (EMI)
PINK FLOYD Money (Polydor)
5:30AM
THE ROLLING STONES It's Only Rock and Roll (Virgin)
THE RAMONES Rock 'N' Roll High School (Warner)
SEX PISTOLS God Save The Queen (Virgin)
HEART Barracuda (Portrait)
BLACK SABBATH Paranoid (Vertigo)
QUEEN Bohemian Rhapsody (EMI)
DAVID BOWIE Boys Keep Swinging (EMI)
JOY DIVISION Love Will Tear Us Apart (Festival)

Re: 'rage goes retro 3' - THREE COUNTDOWN EPISODES / FULL ARCHIVAL INFO * SATURDAY 18TH JANUARY,

At last - the 17/08/1980 episode with The Vapors. I had almost given up thinking we would have to wait another year for that one. Excellent news. Thats improved things a hell of a lot for Week Three!! No idea why another 1982 repeat though.

I knew that they'd put the Countdowns last. Looks like they're not going to start until about 2am.

They've also aired that David Bowie interview before several times, and the Poly Styrene one was shown in retro month 2012. The Judas Priest interview has been shown multiple times as well.

Good to see someone at the ABC putting in some effort to create a diverse Retro night. A lot of it looks interesting except the likes of Deep Purple Led Zeppelin and Billy Thorpe :sleeping:

I am glad all up I have got 4 Countdown from my request list this year but a whole 11 months is sooooooo long to wait, if I survive that long hopefully my list can get shorter and shorter.Now that the 1980 Episodes I wanted are all nearly done there are in particular a 1983 and 1985 Episode on my list I hope I can get someday.

It's so sad that it's already nearly over :-( As much as I don't love Countdown Revolution there are some 1990 Episodes I want being the Boy george at he Metro episode and the Duran Duran episode filmed at the original Ripponlea studios that I was in the audience for.

It would be better than nothing to get some Countdown Revolution next weekend but I don't really think that is even going to be a possibility.

I think the 10:30 Slot will make an appearance, ughhhhhhh...

Att: Jason and Brett (2)

That 1982 Countdown is not a repeat, it is the one that they were going to show in week one but then changed it to The Globos episode instead. We didn't know if it was going to be the Dr Hook or the Billy Miller episode as they mixed the name and episode number up. You will have seen the time-coded episode though so it will be familiar.

That means that this Retro season we get 6 x 1982 episodes and 5 x 1980 episodes for a total of 11 episodes (I don't count the repeated Countdown and Rock Arena). Overall that is a lower return than we have had over the last decade.

As they have a new generation of JJJ apprentices working at Rage now, who don't know the difference between Boomers and Gen X, we may get more of these types of Retro seasons in future.

Never knew Duran Duran were on Countdown Revolution, would have been when they were going through a down phase before the come back with "Ordinary World"

No, I saw Duran Duran at Countdown Revolution when they were promoting Violence of Summer from Liberty in 1990

Okay then, a clean copy of HEPNOBEAT on the 1982 Episode tomorrow night which is great :-) It's a fantastic Episode!

I think Armin, I asked if you had september 5th, 1982 as it was on my request list to rage and they never played it for me after asking so much and you did have it so I took it off my request list to rage and you gave me a copy as I know I have it in TImer Code.

So rage didn't play September 5, 1982 (344: Billy Miller - The Great Blokes/ex Ferrets) (ABC)

It gets very confusing when one has many TImer Code's! ... I thought rage had played it after you also gave me the Timer Code but I guess not. So good it's not repeated tomorrow night!

Dreadful so far except a few clips here and there. All this noodling and jamming is :zzz:

Looks like there's nothing interesting until the Bowie interview....

All the GTK rubbish was absolutely awful!

It only got good when Bowie began.

Agreed Jason, it was boring as fark.

ABC has also shown most of the B&W stuff prreviously too.

CCR, Led Zep etc I have seen many times.

The wait has officially begun .... no more Countdown til January 2021. Huhhhh! Such a long time! At least there are five Saturdays next year, not just four.

RetroTragic, I once would get excited with 5 Saturdays in january and I looked a few weeks ago and saw that in 2021 rage will have 5 Saturdays in January BUT I don't get thrilled by that anymore as it certainly by any rate doesn't mean that rage will be played COuntdown every weekend or any Rock Arena.

Out of those 5 Saturday's one could be Recovery and the 10:30 Slot and one could even be the 00's as rage did say on their Facebook page that 00's is now Retro.

It's just ridiculous that Countdown is not being shown at all next weekend, not even two Episodes. It's simply unfair.

Don't think I'd seen that performance of "I'm Bored" by Iggy. Was awesome! Drugged to the max and freaking out the teeny boppers :slightly_smiling_face:

You haven't seen I'm Bored on Countdown?

WOW, okay ... I thought everybody had, it's been played that much!

RAGE have repeated that Iggy performance and interview many times over the years.

We get it almost every year

Have in on DVD just haven't gotten around to watching it. IV I've seen but think that's the first time for "I'm Bored"