Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Watching on 16:9 screen

My old 4:3 TV was recently replaced with a 16:9 screen. Have always watched Retro month on a 4:3 screen and wondering what issues there are if any with a 16:9 screen? Thinking of buying a cheap 4:3 TV just for Retro month

Re: Watching on 16:9 screen

Gary
My old 4:3 TV was recently replaced with a 16:9 screen. Have always watched Retro month on a 4:3 screen and wondering what issues there are if any with a 16:9 screen? Thinking of buying a cheap 4:3 TV just for Retro month
That would be counterproductive, considering Rage is only broadcast in 16:9 format.

In the case of old 4:3 material such as Countdown, the ABC often (annoyingly) alter the original video by stretching or zooming to take up a larger portion of the 16:9 canvas. Watching it in 16:9 guarantees that at least you will be able to see everything that is broadcast. Watching on a 4:3 screen means that at best you will see the same thing but smaller if you watch it in letterboxed format, and at worst you will see less than everybody else if you watch it in zoomed mode to try to match the original material.

So watched in 4:3 had black bars either side but that wasn't an issue.It started in 16:9 for the Rage intro then went to 4:3. The one hiccup was when for some reason for one video it changed from 4:3 to 16:9 letterbox then back to 4:3 for the rest

Love the image Gary. Which 1980 comp will you choose this week????? Personally, mine is 1980...The Music. Has a special place for me, not only the image and songs, but bought it BRAND NEW on record back in 1993.

Michael
Love the image Gary. Which 1980 comp will you choose this week????? Personally, mine is 1980...The Music. Has a special place for me, not only the image and songs, but bought it BRAND NEW on record back in 1993.
Probably leave 1982 with a bullet- some excellent ones from 1980 tho 1980 ..the summer is pretty cool. Love all the comps from the late 70's thru mid 80's