Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: rage goes retro * 5 FULL COUNTDOWN EPISODES information - Saturday 4th January, 2020

So we finally get the 11/4/82 episode where rage f@#ked up a few years back and re-aired the Duran Duran 17/4/82 episode.

Re: rage goes retro * 5 FULL COUNTDOWN EPISODES information - Saturday 4th January, 2020

What a fantastic start it is going to be for Retro Month 2020. 5 episodes of Countdown, and better still, all from 1982.

Only 3 more Saturdays to go.

I really hope that week 4 of Retro month Rage isn't going to focus on the 90's, but I have a funny feeling that they might, I hope I am wrong.

Here's my list of the Episodes:

21st February 1982 (316) (55 minutes)
Host - Alex Smith from Moving Pictures
1 - The Orphans - Hop, Skip, Jump
2 - Mike Rudd & The Heaters - Laser Lover
3 - Moving Pictures - What About Me
4 - The Cars - Shake It Up (Music Video)
5 - Sheena Easton - Just Another Broken Heart (Music Video)
6 - Toyah - Thunder In The Mountains (Music Video)
7 - Chilliwack - My Girl, Gone, Gone, Gone (Music Video)
8 - Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough (Music Video)
9 - Adam & The Ants - Ant Rap (Music Video)
10 - U2 - Gloria (Music Video)
11 - Soft Cell - Tainted Love (Top Of The Pops)

11th April 1982 (323) (55 minutes)
Host - Jo Kennedy & Ross O'Donovan
1 - Blue Rondo A La Turk - Mr & Mr Sanchez (Music Video)
2 - Cold Chisel - Forever Now (Music Video)
3 - Richard Clapton - Strange (Music Video)
4 - Mother Goose - Margueritta And Me (Music Video)
5 - Chilliwack - My Girl, Gone, Gone, Gone (Music Video)
6 - The Divinyls - Only Lonely (Music Video)
7 - Ross O'Donovan - I Want To Live In A House (Music Video)
8 - Sharon O'Neill - All The Tea In China (Music Video)
9 - Wendy & The Rocketts - Your Place Or Mine (Music Video)
10 - Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder - Ebony & Ivory (Music Video)
11 - Moving Pictures - What About Me (Music Video)

30th May 1982 (330) (55 minutes)
Host - Ray and Dennis from Dr Hook
1 - Young Homebuyers - Take One Step
2 - Sardine - Sudan
3 - Dr Hook - Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk
4 - Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf (Music Video)
5 - J Geils Band - Freeze Frame (Music Video)
6 - John Cougar Mellencamp - Hurts So Good (Music Video)
7 - Roxy Music - More Than This (Music Video)
8 - Fun Boy Three - It Ain't What You Do (Music Video)
9 - The Fixx - Stand Or Fall (Music Video)
10 - Sandi Shaw - Anyone Who Had A Heart (Music Video)
11 - Huey Lewis & The News - Do You Believe In Love (Music Video)
12 - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - I Love Rock'n'Roll (Music Video)

15th August 1982 (341) (55 minutes)
Host - Greedy and Pete from Mental As Anything
1 - Lisa Bade - Down On The Border
2 - Paul Kelly & The Dots - Alive & Well
3 - Little River Band - Down On The Border
4 - Mental As Anything - Didn't Mean To Be Mean
5 - Mi-Sex - Castaway
6 - Mondo Rock - No Time
7 - Icehouse - Great Southern Land (Music Video)
8 - John Cougar Mellencamp - Hurts So Good (Music Video)
9 - Cliff Richard -Only Way Out (Music Video)
10 - The Motels - Take The L Out Of Lover (Music Video)
11 - Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (Music Video)

19th December 1982 (358) (55 minutes)
Host - Mental As Anything
1 - Mental As Anything - Close Again
2 - Rupert B - Don't Let The Flame Go Out
3 - Ruma - What Do You Say
4 - The Divinyls - Science Fiction (Music Video)
5 - Olivia Newton John - Heart Attack (Music Video)
6 - Devo - Peekaboo (Music Video)
7 - Zaine Griff - Figures (Music Video)
8 - Wham - Young Guns (Music Video)
9 - The Fureys - When You Were Sweet 16 (Music Video)
10 - Musical Youth - Pass The Dutchie (Music Video)

Great start to Retro, although over the last decade the first week has usually been the best. Hopefully they have gotten Recovery and Nick Cave out of their system.

I think the November Aus Music month is a perfect time to show Recovery and leave January to Countdown and pre-1990 shows. They have done Recovery in November a couple of times now and I think it works well that way.

Two episodes hosted by the Mentals (very appropriate), the Starstruck episode we had been waiting for, Alex Smith and a very good episode hosted by Dr Hook (although they have advertised it as Billy Miller which would be Sept 5 - another episode not seen on Rage). None of these have been seen before on Rage.

You are right Jason, the Alex Smith episode is not even one of those which existed on time-coded copies. I also re-requested the Starstruck episode but my other 1982 request was the October 31 episode.

Five episodes from the one year is unusual, but very welcome if it is 1982. I don't recall that many episodes from the one year since 1997 when they played most of the 1979 episodes over the four weeks.

By my count that leaves only 6 episodes from 1982 (not counting Countdown Friday) that have not yet been shown on Rage:
- January 10 1982 Molly (Summer Special #4 Export bands)
344 September 5 1982 Billy Miller (The Great Blokes/ex Ferrets)
346 September 19 1982 Globos
351 October 31 1982 no host (Advance Australia theme - songs introduced by live acts)
355 November 28 1982 Tim Finn
356 December 5 1982 Wendy Stapleton (Wendy & The Rocketts)

Roll on January. Just have to hope for no power outages or electrical storms.

Slightly different playlist to that which was originally advertised.

NEW PLAYLIST
11:29pm

COUNTDOWN August 15, 1982 (341: Greedy and Peter from Mental As Anything) (ABC)
COUNTDOWN February 21, 1982 (316: Alex Smith from Moving Pictures) (ABC)
COUNTDOWN September 19, 1982 (346: Globos) (ABC)
COUNTDOWN April 11, 1982 (323: Ross and Jo from Starstruck) (ABC)
COUNTDOWN December 19, 1982 (358: Mental As Anything) (ABC)

The episode that was either Billy Miller or Dr Hook (but inconclusive from info posted) has been axed and they are showing the Globos episode instead.

The replacement Globos episode is one I am really looking forward to. Mark Trevorrow (aka Bob Downe) is a natural to host Countdown. Great 1982 episode.

I have seen their performance of La Tinterella Di Luna before (bit of a novelty song, I prefer their version of The Beat Goes On from 1983 instead). It also appeared on August 1 and August 22 episodes so I think it is possible that they may actually (hopefully) have a 2nd different live performance if they are back in the studio this week.

Year: 1982
Date: 19/09/1982
Show no: 346
Summary: THIS SHOW IS HOSTED BY VARIOUS MEMBERS OF THE GLOBO'S. LIVE ACTS ARE THE ORPHANS,BILLY MILLER & THE GREAT BLOKES AND HEAVEN. MOLLY PRESENTS THE MUSIC NEWS IN 'HUMDRUM' WITH HIS DOG 'ZIGGY' DRESSED IN A HEAVEN T-SHIRT. LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
GLOBO'S 'TINTARELLA DI LUNA'
BILLY MILLER 'PERPETUAL MOTION'
ORPHANS 'BIG RONNIE'
HEAVEN 'THE BALLAD'
LOCAL ARTIST CLIPS:
LITTLE HEROES 'YOUNG HEARTS'
SHERBS 'DON'T THROW IT ALL AWAY'
LOCAL CHARTBUSTERS:
ICEHOUSE 'GREAT SOUTHERN LAND'
SWANEE 'LADY WHAT'S YOUR NAME'
LOCAL HUMDRUM:
FRUIT PASTILLES 'I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN'
MONDO ROCK 'QUEEN AND ME'
GOTHAM CITY 'DON'T CALL ME'
OVERSEAS HUMDRUM:SIMPLE MINDS 'GLITTERING PRIZE'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
MISSING PERSONS 'WORDS'
MOTELS 'TAKE THE L OUT OF LOVER'
YAZOO 'DON'T GO'
BANANARAMA 'SHY BOY'
OVERSEAS CHARTBUSTERS:
JOE JACKSON 'REAL MEN'
ABC 'LOOK OF LOVE'
TOP TEN ITEMS
MADNESS 'HOUSE OF FUN'
MEMBERS 'RADIO'
ICEHOUSE 'GREAT SOUTHERN LAND'
LRB 'DOWN ON THE BORDER'
CHICAGO 'HARD TO SAY I'M SORRY'
JOHN COUGAR, LATER KNOWN AS JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP AND
JOHN MELLENCAMP 'HURTS SO GOOD'
RAY PARKER JNR 'THE OTHER WOMAN'
STEVE MILLER 'ABRACADABRA'
CHEAP TRICK 'IF YOU WANT MY LOVE'
SURVIVOR 'EYE OF THE TIGER'

Someone on Facebook last night said an Episode has been replaced. Would have loved the Dr Hook episode free of Timer Code as its a GREAT Episode but this Globo's episode looks FANTASTIC!

Some RARE things in there/ :-) LUCKY the Ross and Jo from Starstruck and Alex Smith from Moving Pictures are still there!

I have a feeling the unfolding bushfire crisis will have the final say with all this programming, dont be too surprised if it all gets the flick by tomorrow.

Good to hear the programs all went ahead as planned.

Evening and late night programming has remained as advertised in recent weeks, it's just daytime programming where some alterations occurred. Ch24 has had the fire news around the clock virtually so it's good to see that channel is being used for its intended purpose. Let's hope that continues. Let's also hope that they get these destructive fires under control.

After last night's 1982 marathon, that year has now overtaken 1984 as the most shown season (excluding the 1970s where every single surviving broadcastable episode has aired).
1982 had 52 episodes made (the summer shows were pre-recorded in 1981), with 46 now shown and only 6 still to air. Also at least 3 episodes - No. 10, 19 and 20 - of Countdown Friday (clip show hosted by John Peters) exist.

The remaining 6 1982 shows that are yet to air on Rage are as follows:
- January 10 1982 Molly (Summer Special #4 Export bands)
330 May 30 1982 Ray and Dennis (Dr Hook)
344 September 5 1982 Billy Miller (The Great Blokes/ex Ferrets)
351 October 31 1982 no host (Advance Australia theme - songs introduced by live acts)
355 November 28 1982 Tim Finn
356 December 5 1982 Wendy Stapleton (Wendy & The Rocketts)

I love 1982 and it's my fave year music wise but some variety would have been nice. A 1985 episode or a Rock Arena

Does anyone know if the complete video for Mondo Rocks "The Queen & Me" was shown during 1982? There was a snippet in one of the episodes and would love to see the full clip.

Hi Gary, the full video clip for 'The Queen And Me' by Mondo Rock was on the September 26th, 1982 episode hosted by Billy Field.

This episode was shown on the final week of Retro Month back in January 2013.

Thanks Jason :slightly_smiling_face:

rage got back to me on their facebook page after querying why 30/5/82 episode was dropped....technical problem with the ep and will play it in the next few weeks.