Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rage Music Artists Specials

Just back on the Blondie/Deborah Harry Rage Music Special last year two other Blondie clips were left out from 1979 ‘The Hardest Part’ as well as their 2010 music video clip Mother. I guess Rage don’t always have every clip from a music artist or that their too lazy to even bother digging them out. 🤔

What even s h i t s me more is when they don't play them in chronological order. I used to love the specials when you see the artist evolve from their first music video to their current - not jumping all over the years esp with the greats - Prince, David Bowie etc where the specials go for hours and hours.

Another thing they did was not bother to check which songs were released as Debbie and which as Deborah. It's so easy to get these things right with a bit of effort.

You need to know that rage does not have every video from every artist in their library, and that’s often the reason they don’t play them all. They can’t play what they don’t have. There could be 5 reasons:

1. They never received the clip in the first place when it was released (and never subsequently requested a copy).
2. They did have the clip once but it has since been erased, lost, disposed of (and they have never sought to get another copy)
3. They do have it in the archives somewhere, but they can’t find it (imperfect record keeping, tapes not returned to the right physical location)
4. They do have all the clips but decide to not play them all, due to programming length or other programming considerations
5. Conspiracy option: Record companies have told rage to not play every video when they do an artist special (to prevent people recording and making their own compilations, gutting the market should that artist ever release a DVD - which they no longer do anyway, it’s all on YouTube).

Having said that, it does seem to be a more common occurrence that when they have artist specials they play most but not all of the videos they have from that artist, even when they *do* have the clips. The Clouds special in 2017, for example, didn’t play Anthem or Alchemy’s Dead. When the Church had a special a few years ago, they didn’t play “Already Yesterday” but then in 2017 rage played that clip, so clearly it was in their library. I’m sure there’s more examples.

I think it's more a case of they can't locate/can't be bothered to locate missing videos.

Nik Kershaw's 'The Riddle', for example, was on my playlist when I got to program an hour of rage in 2010, and I was asked to choose another video, because they couldn't find it.

But then it aired in late 2013 when Kim Wilde chose it as part of her guest programming.

I also had Sabrina's 'Sexy Girl' on my list, and they didn't air it, but it was aired in mid-2013 as part of the '50 Shades of rage' special, and again in a later Mardi Gras special.

Video clean outs in the past must be partly responsible for missing clips. I think pop clips were more likely to be thrown out over an alternative music video. I also would love Belinda Carlisle to guest progrem Rage. She does regular tours of Australia and is one of my favorite pop acts of the 80s. If Kim and Cyndi can do it then my fingers are crossed that one day Belinda will also.