Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: rage goes retro - One Countdown and Beatbox (Tuesday 29th January, 2019)

Although the final Saturday night isn’t as promising it is hopeful that at least Rage are going to play one more Countdown show as well as a Beatbox which was a nice surprise as to what episode mmmm.... Better than nothing on Tuesday morning which is reserved for new releases usually. Although I’m not overly fussed on this coming Saturday I do look forward to seeing the Suze DeMarchi performance since I have followed her music and Baby Animals. Have even met her a few times after the odd show. I suspect I might have missed it when it was played the first time so that is one saving grace for this Saturday. Hoping 2020 will play a few Rock Arena shows along with remaining Countdown shows that have still not aired since the 1980s too so at least it makes up for lack of interest this coming Saturday night.

Jason ‘The Moderator’
plus
It’s week four of Retro Month on Rage – and before we leave the time machine, we're bringing you in for a soft landing with some Recovery and The 10:30 Slot from the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Guests and performers include TISM, Jimmy Little, Gerling, Suze DeMarchi and Shihad.

Catch the fourth installment of Retro Month on Saturday, January 26 from 10:14am and later that night from 12:30am on ABC TV.

And as a BONUS tune in late Tuesday night, January 29 after 1:50am for our farewell to Retro Month with an extra episode of Countdown and some Beatbox.

At least rage are playing one extra Countdown and Beatbox.
If we get that promised Countdown that will take it to 15 episodes this year, none of which are Rage repeats. Historically speaking, that has not been a bad Retro Month, just a couple of episodes short of what we had been getting recently. The only concern would be if this was the start of a trend.

Remember 2001 when we only had 4 episodes and 2 of them were repeats, or 1998 where we had 19 episodes but 11 of them were repeats.

Since 2009 they have been very good, if we get another 6 years like that we have had over the last 11 then all the remaining shows will be screened by Rage by 2025. They may have to do a 1986 theme similar to 1997's 1979 theme.

Looking back we have had the following amount of Countdown each year:

1993 4 episodes
1994 12
1995 15
1996 8 (6 repeated episodes from the first 3 years of Re-runs, only 2 new ones)
1997 20 (all 1970s)
1998 19 (11 repeated episodes from the first 5 years of Re-runs)
1999 20 (4 repeated episodes)
2000 16 (3 repeated episodes)
2001 4 (2 repeated episodes)
2002 9 (1 repeated episode)
2003 8 (2 repeated episodes)
2004 10
2005 15 (2 repeated episodes)
2006 7 (1 repeated episode)
2007 9 (1 repeated episode)
2008 10 (1 repeated episode)
2009 23 (3 repeated episodes)
2010 13
2011 16 (3 repeated episodes)
2012 9 (repeated Ignatius Jones by accident)
2013 11
2014 15 (2 repeated episodes)
2015 20 (1 repeated episode)
2016 17
2017 16 (repeated Duran Duran by accident plus 6 1970s repeated on the special)
2018 18
2019 15

A total of 51 episodes have been repeated at least once - mostly 1970s episodes

Will be contacting Rage this year to request a few Rock Arenas and a dozen or so Flashez inserts

Hi Armin, Thank you for you excellent info, you must have a brilliant filing system in place to be able to reel out that info! Much appreciated!!:grinning:

Matt73
Hi Armin, Thank you for you excellent info, you must have a brilliant filing system in place to be able to reel out that info! Much appreciated!!:grinning:
Not so much a great filing system but I still have all the video tapes from 1994 onwards and since 2010 DVD recordings (I was late going digital). I only just caught the end of the 1st 1993 season when I saw the end of the Freddie Mercury 1985 episode and have made sure I have never missed watching since.

Back then it was hard to know what Rage were playing unless you phoned in for a playlist which was expensive to do plus the music in 1993 didn't fascinate me that much so I only watched sections of it sporadically and it was just luck that I saw the Countdown episode as I was doing shift work at the time and used to watch Rage at unusual hours.

Thanks to Jason's site I was able to track down someone who had recorded the Edinburgh Games 1986 and the Carol Hitchcock 1987 final episode so I have a complete copy of every Countdown that Rage have aired.

Although I am only really a Countdown/Rock Arena fan - as that was my era in the early to mid 80s - I have also kept copies of every Hitscene, GTK, Countdown Revolution and any other show they aired (even Recovery which was tedious at the time) as I just like full episodes of music shows.

Once this season is over I will update the list of all the Countdown episodes Rage have played and what is still to be played as I haven't done it for a couple of years.

The Tuesday morning playlist is up, actual start is about 1:52am

1:30am

COUNTDOWN February 14, 1982 (Devo, Peter Cupples Band, Heaven, The Church, Ultravox)(ABC)
BEATBOX June 15, 1985 (Beargarden, The Stranglers, Cathy McQuade) (ABC)

4:00am

THE BIRTHDAY PARTY - LIVE Dead Song (Mushroom)

Disappointed that they are showing a repeated Countdown which was shown in 2002 so that means we only had 14 new Countdowns this year. The playlist is:
THIS IS THE FIRST SHOW FOR 1982 AND THERE IS AN INTERVIEW WITH ULTRAVOX AT ORMOND COLLEGE, MELBOURNE UNIVERSITY.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
DEVO 'WHIP IT','WORKING IN A COALMINE'
HEAVEN 'FANTASY'
PETER CUPPLES BAND 'BLAME IT ON THE WEATHER'
CHURCH 'ALMOST WITH YOU'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
CHEETAH 'BANG BANG'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
DURAN DURAN 'MY OWN WAY'
ADAM & THE ANTS 'ANT RAP'
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN 'MAKE A MOVE ON ME'
BILL WYMAN 'COME BACK SUZANNE'
DEPECHE MODE 'JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH'
ABBA 'ONE OF US'
HALL & OATES 'I CAN'T GO FOR THAT'
TOYAH 'THUNDER IN THE MOUNTAINS'
PETE SHELLEY 'HOMOSAPIEN'
ACDC 'LET'S GET IT UP'
J GEILS BAND 'CENTREFOLD'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
HUMAN LEAGUE 'LOVE ACTION'
OUR DAUGHTERS WEDDING 'LAWN CHAIRS'
FOREIGNER 'WAITING FOR A GIRL LIKE YOU'
ORPHANS 'HOP SKIP JUMP'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
CLIFF RICHARD 'WIRED FOR SOUND'
DURAN DURAN 'GIRLS ON FILM'
CARS 'SHAKE IT UP'
STEWART & GASKIN 'IT'S MY PARTY'
FOREIGNER 'WAITING FOR A GIRL'
MEN AT WORK 'DOWNUNDER'
BARRY MANILOW 'LET'S HANG ON'
GO GO'S 'OUR LIPS ARE SEALED'
SOFT CELL 'TAINTED LOVE'
LINDSAY BUCKINGHAM 'TROUBLE'

Beatbox looks very interesting. I hope the Beargarden performance is Drink, Drink, Drink. Curious to see what Cathy McQuade will do, she had performed with The Ears and Deckchairs Overboard along with doing vocals for Sweet and Sour.

Yes - very disappointing that the Countdown is one they have repeated before - back in 2002 by the look of it. Still it was back in the old analogue days and most of us will only have a VHS quality copy, hence it will be an upgrade condition-wise.

Saturday night, well all I can say is I wont catch even one second of it. Only 3 weeks of Retro this year, I personally dont classify Recovery and 1030 slop as Retro.

Why these tapes cant be permanently wiped and the missing Countdowns come back to life - well all I can do is dream.

Brett (2)
Yes - very disappointing that the Countdown is one they have repeated before - back in 2002 by the look of it. Still it was back in the old analogue days and most of us will only have a VHS quality copy, hence it will be an upgrade condition-wise.

Saturday night, well all I can say is I wont catch even one second of it. Only 3 weeks of Retro this year, I personally dont classify Recovery and 1030 slop as Retro.

Why these tapes cant be permanently wiped and the missing Countdowns come back to life - well all I can do is dream.
It will only be an upgrade if they are showing the proper 4:3 ratio and the watermark doesn't creep onto the screen. At least we can hope for that.

Armin

COUNTDOWN February 14, 1982 (Devo, Peter Cupples Band, Heaven, The Church, Ultravox)(ABC)

Disappointed that they are showing a repeated Countdown which was shown in 2002 so that means we only had 14 new Countdowns this year. The playlist is:
THIS IS THE FIRST SHOW FOR 1982 AND THERE IS AN INTERVIEW WITH ULTRAVOX AT ORMOND COLLEGE, MELBOURNE UNIVERSITY.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
DEVO \'WHIP IT\',\'WORKING IN A COALMINE\'
HEAVEN \'FANTASY\'
PETER CUPPLES BAND \'BLAME IT ON THE WEATHER\'
CHURCH \'ALMOST WITH YOU\'
CHEETAH \'BANG BANG\'
DURAN DURAN \'MY OWN WAY\'
ADAM & THE ANTS \'ANT RAP\'
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN \'MAKE A MOVE ON ME\'
BILL WYMAN \'COME BACK SUZANNE\'
DEPECHE MODE \'JUST CAN\'T GET ENOUGH\'
ABBA \'ONE OF US\'
HALL & OATES \'I CAN\'T GO FOR THAT\'
TOYAH \'THUNDER IN THE MOUNTAINS\'
PETE SHELLEY \'HOMOSAPIEN\'
ACDC \'LET\'S GET IT UP\'
J GEILS BAND \'CENTREFOLD\'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
HUMAN LEAGUE \'LOVE ACTION\'
OUR DAUGHTERS WEDDING \'LAWN CHAIRS\'
FOREIGNER \'WAITING FOR A GIRL LIKE YOU\'
ORPHANS \'HOP SKIP JUMP\'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
CLIFF RICHARD \'WIRED FOR SOUND\'
DURAN DURAN \'GIRLS ON FILM\'
CARS \'SHAKE IT UP\'
STEWART & GASKIN \'IT\'S MY PARTY\'
FOREIGNER \'WAITING FOR A GIRL\'
MEN AT WORK \'DOWNUNDER\'
BARRY MANILOW \'LET\'S HANG ON\'
GO GO\'S \'OUR LIPS ARE SEALED\'
SOFT CELL \'TAINTED LOVE\'
LINDSAY BUCKINGHAM \'TROUBLE\'

Beatbox looks very interesting. I hope the Beargarden performance is Drink, Drink, Drink. Curious to see what Cathy McQuade will do, she had performed with The Ears and Deckchairs Overboard along with doing vocals for Sweet and Sour.
I am very annoyed that the 1982 Countdown is a repeat, arghhhhhhh.

I was hoping for a no repeat, d a r n .....

I am looking forward to Beatbox seeing it says Beargarden, I wonder what it will be!

So only three retro Saturday’s this year, l guess it’s beter than nothing but this final weekend is not retro to me, just rubbish ...

A few days before rage goes retro one l put down on this Forum that l was concerned with the themes and how l think ether 90s and Recovery will be aired and Nathan said he thought l was basically jumping the gun and how it wouldn’t necessarily be that Recovery and 10:30 slot would air .... Well ... here we are ... There was no way rage wouldn’t put on Recovery and 10:30 Slot when they are advertising themes. It’s the perfect opportunity to get all cared and go 90s Alternative

Armin
Brett (2)

It will only be an upgrade if they are showing the proper 4:3 ratio and the watermark doesn't creep onto the screen. At least we can hope for that.
Hi Armin,

Do you know if the video clip for Cheetah is the full video or just a part of it?

Thankyou

Armin

LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
DEVO 'WHIP IT','WORKING IN A COALMINE'
HEAVEN 'FANTASY'
PETER CUPPLES BAND 'BLAME IT ON THE WEATHER'
CHURCH 'ALMOST WITH YOU'
CHEETAH 'BANG BANG'
DURAN DURAN 'MY OWN WAY'
ADAM & THE ANTS 'ANT RAP'
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN 'MAKE A MOVE ON ME'
BILL WYMAN 'COME BACK SUZANNE'
DEPECHE MODE 'JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH'
ABBA 'ONE OF US'
HALL & OATES 'I CAN'T GO FOR THAT'
TOYAH 'THUNDER IN THE MOUNTAINS'
PETE SHELLEY 'HOMOSAPIEN'
ACDC 'LET'S GET IT UP'
J GEILS BAND 'CENTREFOLD'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
HUMAN LEAGUE 'LOVE ACTION'
OUR DAUGHTERS WEDDING 'LAWN CHAIRS'
FOREIGNER 'WAITING FOR A GIRL LIKE YOU'
ORPHANS 'HOP SKIP JUMP'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
CLIFF RICHARD 'WIRED FOR SOUND'
DURAN DURAN 'GIRLS ON FILM'
CARS 'SHAKE IT UP'
STEWART & GASKIN 'IT'S MY PARTY'
FOREIGNER 'WAITING FOR A GIRL'
MEN AT WORK 'DOWNUNDER'
BARRY MANILOW 'LET'S HANG ON'
GO GO'S 'OUR LIPS ARE SEALED'
SOFT CELL 'TAINTED LOVE'
LINDSAY BUCKINGHAM 'TROUBLE'

Very disappointed also with RAGE not showing anymore Countdown tomorrow night.

I also get the repeat in digital format, as opposed to what I have stored away on VHS still.

Beatbox will be good to see though on Tuesday morning.

Interesting to see 'Working Class Man' by Jimmy Barnes aired so early, unless the dating is incorrect. Everything else about it does seem mid-1985 though.
He hadn't even released 'I'd Die To Be With You Tonight' until 26 August, then 'Working Class Man' on 11 November!

I quite enjoyed that Beatbox.

While I like the idea of these bonus episodes (though it wasn't really as what they give with one hand they take away with the other, hence no Vault), the episode of Beatbox itself was a bit ordinary. It served to remind me that, outside of Countdown, the ABC hadn't yet hit upon the right balance of music to appeal to everyone. There was a huge bias towards the heavy alternative end of the spectrum, with Beargarden the only concession towards current pop, and what has to have been a deliberate avoidance of top 40 (apart from ZZ Top I guess, on the heavy end).
Definitely that ABC brand of Triple J type programming though, which I recall finding boring as a teenager, and that hasn't changed.

You don't think that Countdown + Rock Arena already had the mainstream stuff well covered?

Luuuc
You don't think that Countdown + Rock Arena already had the mainstream stuff well covered?
Countdown, yes. Rock Arena though was almost as variable as Beatbox. Sometimes it was great - like when they'd play the three latest videos from a popular act's album - but at other times you'd tune in to find it was an hour of Nick Cave recorded in the basement.

I like that Rock Arena was a mix of chart pop and alternative acts. Yes you got some dreadful artists like Nick Cave but you also got alternative artists that I like such as The Smiths or The Go Betweens who you rarely if ever saw on Countdown

The Beatbox episode started out as very ordinary and I didn't think it would get better but then when Sam Sejavka spoke and they played Beargarden it then got better from there.

I particularly really enjoyed some bands and artists I had never heard of before like the track and animated video sections of Peter Westhiemer which I thought was SUPERB!!!!!!

Also Cuckoos were extremely great, good track and video!!!!!

Xavion with Eat Your Heart Out was quite brilliant indeed!!!!

And Statues Cry, their track was rather good as well.

Regarding Countdown, as we all already have that episode it was nothing new but it's a GREAT episode indeed. So much healthy acts especially from the UK, 1982 being my favourite year of music and video EVER!

I did find that the quality of the episode of Countdown has since deteriorated somewhat since 2002.

It is so sad that rage goes retro is actually finished now :-( Because we didn't get COuntdown or any other 80s programming on rage goes retro 3, last night just went very fast.

Can't wait till January 2020, sigh .....

I use to watch Beatbox back in the 80s, it wasn't overly alternative compared to Countdown, Rock Arena or even Sounds.

Triple J was double J back then, which meant it was still the Sydney only music station.

They had no significant control over what the ABC shows played back then. That didnt start till the 90s and beyond when they went national with FM.

I wish rage would play two of the episodes left in the archives of Between The Teeth.

I LOVED this show in 1986 that aired for a few months on Saturday mornings.

"Between The Teeth" LOL! I clean had forgotten all about that show, but certainly remember the intro to it, but not much else! 1986 was it? Well there you go!Do you remember the show "Home" with the theme song "Home, Home, Home is where the heart is"? 1983 from memory. It's about the only show my sister and I would watch that we both liked - everything else would end up in a fight, particularly when it came to who liked the best music :smile:

Agree with your opinion on the 1982 episode, there was some great stuff there including the single version video of My Own Way! IMO the quality of that particular show may only look poorer in quality than the 2002 showing of it because back in '02 it was only an analogue broadcast and therefore may not have highlighted the quality issue as much as digital does. My analogue recording of it from 2002 is ok, but it's third generation as I was at the Gold Coast in Jan '02 & had to borrow all the Countdown's from a mate, then record to VHS from his VHS & then later onto DVD.

Matt73
"Between The Teeth" LOL! I clean had forgotten all about that show, but certainly remember the intro to it, but not much else! 1986 was it? Well there you go!Do you remember the show "Home" with the theme song "Home, Home, Home is where the heart is"? 1983 from memory. It's about the only show my sister and I would watch that we both liked - everything else would end up in a fight, particularly when it came to who liked the best music :smile:
I had forgotten 'Between The Teeth' too.
And remember some of the other music shows on ABC and SBS, like 'Edge Of The Wedge', 'The Noise' and 'MC Tee Vee'? And 'Max Headroom' on ABC would have music videos.

I remember 'Home', too. I'd love to see it again. It had Maxine Klibingaitis in it, who was a favourite of mine in Prisoner.

I *loved* me some MC Tee Vee.

Wow, yes i remember 'Between The Teeth' too. It was still playing around August/September '87 as i recorded an episode that had Jody Watley's follow up to 'Looking for a New Love' ...'Still A Thrill' and remember an episode or maybe it was the same with Janet's 'The Pleasure Principle'. I remember the big teeth that would come up on the screen every now and then when a video ended/started.

Luuuc
Me too.

For reasons I don't understand, rage re-digitise Countdown episodes that are repeated, from the source tapes, rather than air the presumably already-digitised copy they have. It happened when the Christmas 1986 episode was repeated a couple of years back (after first airing on rage in 2009), and obviously again with this 1982 episode, as it was stretched beyond the 4:3 area, and also has the post-2011 form of rage encoding, with the larger and less-sharp rage logo and lettering.

So, if it looked worse in quality, it probably was, as the source tape would have aged another 17 years between now and when it last aired. How weird to think that almost the same amount of time (17 years) has elapsed between now and 2002, and 1982 and 2002.

Michael
Wow, yes i remember 'Between The Teeth' too. It was still playing around August/September '87 as i recorded an episode that had Jody Watley's follow up to 'Looking for a New Love' ...'Still A Thrill' and remember an episode or maybe it was the same with Janet's 'The Pleasure Principle'. I remember the big teeth that would come up on the screen every now and then when a video ended/started.
YES,

I too LOOOOVED the Big Teeth that would appear and eat up the title of the Artist, Band and Single in the beginning and end of the video clip.

It is SUCH an UNDERRATED ABC GEM of a Music program.

I have wanted repeats for years and see only two episodes exist in the archives :-(

I recorded The Human League's 'I Need Your Loving' as a new single from there as well as Spanga's 'Call Me'.

They played so many Dance Records!

Brad
Matt73
\"Between The Teeth\" LOL! I clean had forgotten all about that show, but certainly remember the intro to it, but not much else! 1986 was it? Well there you go!Do you remember the show \"Home\" with the theme song \"Home, Home, Home is where the heart is\"? 1983 from memory. It\'s about the only show my sister and I would watch that we both liked - everything else would end up in a fight, particularly when it came to who liked the best music :smile:
I had forgotten 'Between The Teeth' too.
And remember some of the other music shows on ABC and SBS, like 'Edge Of The Wedge', 'The Noise' and 'MC Tee Vee'? And 'Max Headroom' on ABC would have music videos.

I remember 'Home', too. I'd love to see it again. It had Maxine Klibingaitis in it, who was a favourite of mine in Prisoner.
The Noise <3 <3 <3

I watched and recorded videos and performances from The Noise religiously. It was THE THE THE best program for Underground material.

I still have a Duran Duran 'Live for The Tube' concert on VHS I recorded from The Noise <3

The Noise played LOTS of performances from the AMAZING UK program The Tube.

They played so much Dance Music, Underground Gems, Funk, New Wave and later on House Music.

Annette Shun Wah was IT ! ! ! ! ! ... If only SBS could play The Noise re-runs, if they still have them. I would be in HEAVEN, HEAVEN, HEAVEN !!!!!! Annettes fabulous hair would change with each episode. The Noises best period was 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988. Went a bit downhill after that due to music getting less original and interesting ...

Gary
Will be contacting Rage this year to request a few Rock Arenas and a dozen or so Flashez inserts
Please do,

Moooore Flashez inserts and Rock Arena and hopefully no Factory, Recovery and 10:30 Slop!

Michael
I thought Between The Teeth mainly went during 1986 as 1986 was when I most recorded videos from there. Though amazing you saw Jody Watley's GENIUS 'Still A Thrill" and Janet Jackson's Pleasure Principle on there, Janet's BEST single!

I am seeing Jody Watley in April in London with Meet and Greet, I can't wait! Still A Thrill is Andre Cymone FUNk * GEEEENIUS! ANd the video made in paris in Black & WHite is simply GLORIOUS CLASS!

ohnoitisnathan
Luuuc
Me too.

For reasons I don't understand, rage re-digitise Countdown episodes that are repeated, from the source tapes, rather than air the presumably already-digitised copy they have. It happened when the Christmas 1986 episode was repeated a couple of years back (after first airing on rage in 2009), and obviously again with this 1982 episode, as it was stretched beyond the 4:3 area, and also has the post-2011 form of rage encoding, with the larger and less-sharp rage logo and lettering.

So, if it looked worse in quality, it probably was, as the source tape would have aged another 17 years between now and when it last aired. How weird to think that almost the same amount of time (17 years) has elapsed between now and 2002, and 1982 and 2002.
Could the re-digitising possibly be due to rage retro month switching from SD to HD in 2017?

Annette was also on the SBS show "Eat Carpet" at times I believe.

Nathan, I often think about what you were saying about how 2002 was 17 years ago & that 17 years before that was 1985. Very bizarre, as the understanding of time from 1985 to 2002 seems much longer than 2002 to 2019 seems. I guess that's just a case of time going quicker the older you get :man:

Jason "The Moderator"
Michael
Wow, yes i remember \'Between The Teeth\' too. It was still playing around August/September \'87 as i recorded an episode that had Jody Watley\'s follow up to \'Looking for a New Love\' ...\'Still A Thrill\' and remember an episode or maybe it was the same with Janet\'s \'The Pleasure Principle\'. I remember the big teeth that would come up on the screen every now and then when a video ended/started.
I thought Between The Teeth mainly went during 1986 as 1986 was when I most recorded videos from there. Though amazing you saw Jody Watley's GENIUS 'Still A Thrill" and Janet Jackson's Pleasure Principle on there, Janet's BEST single!

I am seeing Jody Watley in April in London with Meet and Greet, I can't wait! Still A Thrill is Andre Cymone FUNk * GEEEENIUS! ANd the video made in paris in Black & WHite is simply GLORIOUS CLASS!
Still A Thrill was an interesting follow up and video - love it! I recorded it on BTT and then transsferred it to audio tape - the old tape recorder up to the TV :smile: I would religiously seek any music show on TV after Countdown ended and because Canberra only had one commercial station up until 1989 it was the ABC music shows that kept me going with Between The Teeth and The Factory then the rage Top 50.

Jason "The Moderator"
Gary
Please do,

Moooore Flashez inserts and Rock Arena and hopefully no Factory, Recovery and 10:30 Slop!
Was a time when we'd get a bunch of Flashez inserts every year. There's so many of them and most are just a few minutes in length. It's sad that someone has to request Rock Arena which has been a retro staple until this year. Rage retro with no Rock Arena or Suzanne just doesn't feel right:slightly_smiling_face:

I too vaguely remember The Noise And Eat Carpet too. I never regularly watched these back then. Now I wish I had of. Music shows I do remember watching regular other than ‘Countdown’ were ‘Sounds’ with Donnie Sutherland on Saturday mornings, Music Video with John Torv later Basia Bonkowski on Friday and Saturday nights late, Nightmoves with Lee Simon, After Dark With Glenn A. Baker, Rock Arena on Tuesday nights with Andrew Peters, Glenn Shorrock And later Suzanne Dowling, Nightshift and afternoon music shows on Nine like Wavelength with Jonathan Coleman and Rockit which was on weekends same time as Beatbox from memory on Nine. Nigh Shift was one late night music show too that I think replaced Music Video on Ten. Late Night With Jono And Dano during the mid 80s would also play music clips now and again too. Until the late period of the 1980s with the advent of music video clip shows like Rage, Video Hits, MTV, Saturday Morning Live, Spin & Video Smash Hits.

Scott
I too vaguely remember The Noise And Eat Carpet too. I never regularly watched these back then. Now I wish I had of. Music shows I do remember watching regular other than ‘Countdown’ were ‘Sounds’ with Donnie Sutherland on Saturday mornings, Music Video with John Torv later Basia Bonkowski on Friday and Saturday nights late, Nightmoves with Lee Simon, After Dark With Glenn A. Baker, Rock Arena on Tuesday nights with Andrew Peters, Glenn Shorrock And later Suzanne Dowling, Nightshift and afternoon music shows on Nine like Wavelength with Jonathan Coleman and Rockit which was on weekends same time as Beatbox from memory on Nine. Nigh Shift was one late night music show too that I think replaced Music Video on Ten. Late Night With Jono And Dano during the mid 80s would also play music clips now and again too. Until the late period of the 1980s with the advent of music video clip shows like Rage, Video Hits, MTV, Saturday Morning Live, Spin & Video Smash Hits.
"Rock Around The World"that was hosted by Basia Bonkowski on SBS was another good show that played many music video's that the other show's did not play.

In addition to the others mentioned, does anyone (possibly only in South Australia) remember Music Express, Trax, Simulrock, Clipz and Power Cuts?

Brad

Interesting to see 'Working Class Man' by Jimmy Barnes aired so early, unless the dating is incorrect. Everything else about it does seem mid-1985 though.
He hadn't even released 'I'd Die To Be With You Tonight' until 26 August, then 'Working Class Man' on 11 November!
Brad, this stumps me as well. :thinking_face: I can only assume the record company had it down as a new release and then pulled it and went with I'd Die To Be With You Tonight instead???? But still IDTBWYT would have been a very early release if we're talking June '85. Working Class Man was shown pretty much as a new video on Countdown in Dec '85.

Brad
In addition to the others mentioned, does anyone (possibly only in South Australia) remember Music Express, Trax, Simulrock, Clipz and Power Cuts?
'Power Cuts' aired in Victoria; I assumed it was a national program.

It started out on a Sunday afternoon, in around autumn 1991, without a host. Then it later switched to a half-hour weekday program, airing Monday to Friday at either 4 or 4:30pm, with host Penny Dennison. Here are some segments I had on a tape that I uploaded:

I also remember Power Cuts ending at the end of '91, without any notice.

Just googled Penne Dennison as the name sounded familiar. She was on Hey Hey so that's probably it. Also hosted Ground Zero but don't recall watching it.

It's Power Cuts was on Southern Cross Network in Bendigo, Swan Hill and Gippsland, VIC-TV in Ballarat and Shepparton or Prime Television in Albury/Wodonga?