Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: rage website makeover

Indeed they have done a complete revamp. Looks like they have introduced a new content management system.

Luckily I semi-regularly download and store offline all the playlists. I have them going back to 2 Jan 1998 (i.e. the start of online playlists). My most recent pulldown was back in 2014 so I should probably do another vacuum to get my archive up to date.

I think the new look is easier to read - it was all getting a bit much with well over 100 playlist headings per page per year under the old system.

The pre-2000 playlists are still indexed on google when you search e.g. site:www.abc.net.au/rage "(search term)". But then when you click on the search result from a pre-2007 playlist, an error page loads. The rage site is archived though on the Wayback Machine.

One good thing about the makeover is that the week night playlists are being posted, for both the ABC and ABC ME shows. For now, anyway.

rage said in a facebook post reply they are working on putting up the pre-2007 playlists on their new website.

That's great to know Jason. Thanks for that. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Jason D.
rage said in a facebook post reply they are working on putting up the pre-2007 playlists on their new website.
It would be great if they could put the pre-1998 playlists on the website too - since they have never published those :smile:

I think the issue is that the online playlists from 1998 to end 2006 used a fundamentally different underlying format to playlists from 2007 onwards. So it’s not trivial for them to migrate the older content to the new format. A bit of manual work might be required.

I agree. It would be great if they published the pre-1998 playlists. I wonder if they have them laying around somewhere. It could be that they were handwritten or typed and they would have to digitise them somehow for publishing on their website. rage made a comment about this many years ago, however, it was so long ago that I can't remember the reason they gave for not publishing the pre-1998 playlists.

Jason D.
I agree. It would be great if they published the pre-1998 playlists. I wonder if they have them laying around somewhere. It could be that they were handwritten or typed and they would have to digitise them somehow for publishing on their website. rage made a comment about this many years ago, however, it was so long ago that I can't remember the reason they gave for not publishing the pre-1998 playlists.
rage commented on the website forum (long defunct) that they have the playlists for those earlier years, but they are paper-based, and someone would need to manually type them all out. Someone (perhaps Jason the Moderator here) offered to assist with doing so, but nothing became of it, as far as I know.

They did show some of a handwritten playlist for the very first episode of rage in the rage 30 documentary last year.

Surely someone at ABC archives could at least scan the paper playlists, if they haven't already, and upload them, e.g. even to their instagram account? Sure, it would take a bit of time/effort, but not as much as typing it all out from scratch. Maybe someone should suggest it?

And after a blaze of activity last week with every playlist for every day across all channels being published... nothing this week since VAULT on Monday night.

“rage commented on the website forum (long defunct) that they have the playlists for those earlier years, but they are paper-based, and someone would need to manually type them all out. Someone (perhaps Jason the Moderator here) offered to assist with doing so, but nothing became of it, as far as I know.”

Clearly we need to crowd-source this job! So there are 11 years of paper-based playlists, two shows per week, so that makes it 1144 playlists to type up. On average there’s about 120 videos per show, about 20-30 minutes work depending how fast you can type :)

So if we can get 50 volunteers, that’s 23 playlists each, around 10-12 hours of typing work, and this job could be done in a few weeks!

Should we pitch that to rage? Can we get 50 volunteers from this forum?

I'd be happy to volunteer to do some, except I doubt they'd let them off-site, i.e. you'd need to type them up at whichever ABC headquarters they're held at (presumably Sydney). Not sure if I'm keen enough to take a trip to Sydney to do it... but if e.g. they could scan them, I'd happily do it from afar.

I suspect, though, that it may unfortunately be that the ABC wouldn't want to do this. I mean, it would be more bandwidth they need to use to host all of these playlists, for a start, and it's not like they're rolling in cash after the recent and future government cuts. No doubt there would also be some bureaucracy around having the playlists approved by a certain person/people at the ABC before anything was published online.

Clip Magnet, don't also forget there were 3 episodes of rage, including the 2-2.5 hour Friday morning new releases episode, from July 1993 until May 1995* inclusive.

(*though a recent check through online archived copies of The Age, looking at the TV guide, suggests that these shows ended in early March 1995 - but I swear they were continuing (in Victoria, anyway) through until mid-May 1995 (I distinctly recall seeing Bjork's 'Army of Me' on my Friday morning recording when I got home from school, and it was released that month; and I definitely got up to watch the show live during the April school holidays, from which I still have some recordings) - though maybe they just printed the same TV guide as published in the Sydney Morning Herald, which was also archived on the same site and I used it to cross-check, where it ended in March 1995).)

The Rage website has now added years going back to 1999 in the 'YEAR' pull-down tab. However, the 'MONTHS' are greyed out from 1999 to 2006, and there are no playlists as yet. A work in progress, I think.

RetroTragic
The Rage website has now added years going back to 1999 in the 'YEAR' pull-down tab. However, the 'MONTHS' are greyed out from 1999 to 2006, and there are no playlists as yet. A work in progress, I think.
I mentioned the missing years on the rage website earlier this week. They linked to Blondie's guest programming playlist from 2003, which was formatted in the new rage website layout, and I tagged them in a post asking if they were aware that the 1998-2006 playlists were missing from the new website. Maybe that prompted them to act.

Hi all

I'd like to help out in getting the pre 1998 and the 1998-2006 Rage playlists on the rage website, instagram or other recommended ABC platforms .

Thanks

Marco

I hope the greyed 1999-2006 is indeed work in progress! Imagine if Rage decides to put up the pre 1998 as well as the Friday mornings playlists that would smash MTV and Showbizz videos into pieces from what I saw on your ohnoitisnathan channels " NEW RELEASE " videos it was a bit of a killer for me as I was unable to get stay up that late on Thursday and Friday nights to catch up on the latest dance club anthems like MASTERBOY , 2brotherrs on the fourth floor etc etc etc I think I"ll be reduced to tears when they put those pre 1998 playlists. Adding insult to injury the analogue broadcast was really bad where I use to live ghosting pictures followed by zig zagging after 0600am and finally white horizontal line on top and bottom of the picture and further zig zagging after 0900am till about 12am !!!!!
Speaking of pre 1998 playlists I remember back in may 1997 or a month later or a month earlier on Friday after 0400am when the dance anthems kicked in I hope I can recall the following songs correctly or maybe I'm confusing 2 or 3 playlists from the same month I'm not sure but anyway the dance segment would start something like that
Freak out today by 2Fabiola , One more time by Real MacCoy , Watermark by Atlantic Ocean , Footprint by DISCO Citizens, The Beat of Green by FARGETTA and last but not least Feel the Rhythm by Capital Sound
Does anyone have the song The Beat of Green by FARGETTA I searched YouTube, daily motion I couldn't find it .

Thanks
Marco

Marco Salama
I hope the greyed 1999-2006 is indeed work in progress! Imagine if Rage decides to put up the pre 1998 as well as the Friday mornings playlists that would smash MTV and Showbizz videos into pieces from what I saw on your ohnoitisnathan channels " NEW RELEASE " videos it was a bit of a killer for me as I was unable to get stay up that late on Thursday and Friday nights to catch up on the latest dance club anthems like MASTERBOY , 2brotherrs on the fourth floor etc etc etc I think I"ll be reduced to tears when they put those pre 1998 playlists. Adding insult to injury the analogue broadcast was really bad where I use to live ghosting pictures followed by zig zagging after 0600am and finally white horizontal line on top and bottom of the picture and further zig zagging after 0900am till about 12am !!!!! Speaking of pre 1998 playlists I remember back in may 1997 or a month later or a month earlier on Friday after 0400am when the dance anthems kicked in I hope I can recall the following songs correctly or maybe I'm confusing 2 or 3 playlists from the same month I'm not sure but anyway the dance segment would start something like that Freak out today by 2Fabiola , One more time by Real MacCoy , Watermark by Atlantic Ocean , Footprint by DISCO Citizens, The Beat of Green by FARGETTA and last but not least Feel the Rhythm by Capital Sound Does anyone have the song The Beat of Green by FARGETTA I searched YouTube, daily motion I couldn't find it . Thanks Marco

Marco, as much as I'd love for rage to put the pre-1998 playlists up on the website (and especially those '93-'95 Friday morning new releases episldes), I would be (pleasantly) surprised if it ever happens.

Years ago, circa 2009-10, on the old rage website forum, I remember Jason (I think) from here asking if they still had all of those old playlists. They do (or at least still did, then), but they are paper-based, and would need to be typed up if they were going to be added to the website. From memory, Jason/others offered to help out with it, but I assume, with the ABC being a government organisation, that if one was offer their time/services with typing up the old playlists that they would need to be done on site (i.e. you wouldn't be permitted to leave the building/archives with them to work on it from home or something).

I was in high school when the new releases episodes aired, and normally only got to view/record from them (I hadn't figured out how to dub from VCR to VCR until '95, though the upside is everything I kept before then is first generation) during the school holidays, or if Friday was a public holiday or school curriculum day/local holiday. Using some research from old TV guides I've done, the first new releases episode aired on Friday 1 July 1993. The last one listed in the Sydney Morning Herald green guide aired on Friday 3 March 1995... but I have recordings from episodes that aired during the (Victorian) Easter school holidays in April 1995 (though the 'new release' text had gone from the superscript). I also remember seeing Bjork's 'Army of Me' for the first time on an episode I recorded when I got home from school in May 1995 - so I reckon it still ran until May 1995 in Victoria. Back then, I assume that the TV schedule may have varied slightly state by state on the ABC. Open Learning replaced it in the Sydney Morning Herald green guide.

The ARIA Report, Australia's national chart publication, contains (usually non-exhaustive) lists of new videos added to the rage playlist (and other music video programs' playlists at the time), and from these, you can get an idea of what new release videos aired when.

If I get the inclination, I might start a thread on these here at some point.

Here's a sample of what I mean, Marco, selecting the episode that the Masterboy track aired (during the July school holidays for me), though I forgot to re-size the image first. The quality of the scan is not the best. From this episode I kept the Dr. Alban, Jam & Spoon, Masterboy, Kym Mazelle & Jocelyn Brown, Shara Nelson, Alex Party, Eternal, and Zhane clips.

Here's the new release additions from the week the 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor video aired, Marco. From the September '94 school holidays for me.

From this one I kept Atlantic Ocean, Cleva Cleva (on one of my channels), 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor, Tinman, Sinead O'Connor, and The Prodigy. What I find interesting sometimes, looking at these lists, is that e.g. I would have heard Portishead for the first time on this episode, but wouldn't have known it (and didn't recall it later). Granted, 'Numb' isn't exactly their most tuneful song.

Oh my God I'm Speechless Nathan!!!! You are one heck of a lucky guy!!! If only the ABC reception was that crisp and perfect where I lived and if only my mum would allow me to purchase enough VHS !!!! Here iam I'm only looking at only 2 playlists where the 2 brothers on the fourth floor and Masterboy aired and I'm getting a bit teary the beautiful memories coming like flood upon me and wishing I had these songs but thanks to you and the internet they kept in good hands. One very important take home message is that once upon a time back in the 90s our music shows Rage and Video Hits was about the music and about giving the public a sense of all genres and styles of music from rock to hip hop to dance to alternative to new age ambient and diverse genres, unfortunately nowadays channel 10 is about cohosts wasting the music show with unwanted news of mainly American female artists dating breaking up fighting cancelling shows etc etc etc and the same songs played every week with hardly any new song and when they flashback it's the same songs they keep playing tlc , Whitney Houston, offspring, Lisa loeb etc etc etc etc while on the other hand we know all about the triple jaying of Rage !!!!!

Any luck with the video for the song : The Beat of Green by FARGETTA I'm quite sure I saw it on Rage it features Mario FARGETTA in some resort probably in Ibiza playing with the singer dancing with the crowd and then Mario goes underwater with the singer towards the middle of the song then out of the water and the song ends and Feel The Rhythm by Canadian Eurodance supergroup Capital Sound kicks in then the Rocco T Bello starts rapping and the girls sing Can u feel the rhythm.........
I don't why Time Records/ Italian Style Records or even Mario FARGETTA did not upload the beat of Green to YouTube or Daily Motion , have been on YouTube since 2007 and for more than a decade still no sign of the video!