Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Right There On My TV - missing clips to be screened at St Kilda Film Festival (21 May)

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and thought I would post the following information to those of you reading this in Melbourne who might be free this Monday night on 21 May.

The National Film & Sound Archive (NFSA) is putting on an event at the St Kilda Town Hall, as part of the 2018 St Kilda Film Festival, titled 'Right There On My TV: Rediscovering Australian Music Television of the 1970s'.
It's an event featuring plenty of clips from TV shows of the era that have been sourced from the NFSA's collection. Afterwards, there is a Q&A with Lee Simon and John Paul Young.

We've attempted, as much as possible, to show clips and excerpts of programs that either haven't been officially released on DVD or can't be found easily through an online search of the usual places like Youtube, Vevo etc.

I thought it worth mentioning a few things that may be of specific interest to those of you interested in Countdown.
The following promotional film clips are being screened in full, several of which were seen on Countdown, either in part or in full.

Hush - 'Too Young To Know' (1976)
Cheetah - 'Walking In The Rain' (1978) - only 30 secs of this was screened on ep 169 TX: 24/9/78, which survives I believe?
Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons - 'I'm In A Dancing Mood' (1977)
Marty Rhone - 'The Things We Did Last Night' (1976)
and the obscurest of all...
Livingstone Vale - 'Moongirl', screened on Sound Unlimited in late 1974 over several months and only once on Countdown (ep 16, TX: 20/4/75) - partially filmed on the cliffs of North Sydney - the lead singer is definitely channeling the hairstyle of David Bowie and Brian Connolly!

Also in the session will be clips from rare studio performances such as:
JPY - 'Love Is In The Air' (Thank God It's Friday At The Zoo, 1978) - mimed
Sherbet - 'Another Night On The Road' (Telethon, 1978 - from Perth) - slightly truncated as the master tape was damaged - mimed
Renee Geyer - 'Once In A Lifetime Thing' (Paul Hogan Show, 1975) - live
Stevie Wright - 'Evie' (Part 2) - (The Mike Walsh Show, 1979) - live vocal, very moving IMHO
Dragon - 'April Sun In Cuba' (Live at the Palais, Nightmoves concert, Sept 1977)
Jon English - 'Six Ribbons' (Lionel Yorke & Friends, Nine Perth) - poor quality) - mimed but maybe the only footage of him miming the song?
Bay City Rollers - 'Bye Bye Baby' - a portion of the song amongst hysterical teenage adulation from a ATN7 special in Jan 1977.

There's also plenty of interview snippets from Nightmoves and various news footage moments with Status Quo, Abba, Split Enz, LRB (from a rare Canberra CTC7 tour documentary), Peter Gabriel, Joe Cocker (admitting he was so drunk "I ****** the bed" - his words!) and Dragon (Sound Unlimited)

We've also included a few things that are out there either officially or unofficially but were entertaining in their own right like:
ACDC - Long Way To The Top (Bandstand 76)- my fave clip of the show
Skyhooks - Million Dollar Riff (the 'Skyhooks Live' Goodbye Palais show from Jan 76)
Mick Jagger i/v with Norman Gunston (NG Show, 1978)

And snippets from 70s TV specials from visiting artists like Suzi Quattro (Palais, 1977), Roberta Flack (75 - Perth), Beach Boys (Myer Music Bowl, 78), Rod Stewart (ditto).

And on top of that, the premiere screening of 'Soundcheck', an unaired music review show TV pilot made in 1977 at GTV9, hosted by Greg Evans and panel (Stan Rofe, Keith Lamb, Frankie J Holden and Debbie Byrne) reviewing the latest discs. Shaun Cassidy is interviewed exclusively for the show, wearing a South Melbourne (pre-Sydney Swans) football guernsey! We've also thrown in some ads from 1977 within the show's designated TVC breaks including ads for old record shops and budget albums that died a death (does anyone remember the Aussie "artist of genius" (the TVC's words!) keyboardist Dennis Garcia? How about VFL footy stars Kevin Sheedy, Mick Nolan and Len Thompson promoting 'Football Party Time', an album that must have sold 10 copies.

There's also other stuff - all up, close to 90 mins of rare footage plus the Q&A afterwards.
If interested, you can book here:
https://stkildafilmfestival.com.au/event/right_there_on_my_tv/
or roll up on the night to buy a ticket - there will be space I think.
Tix are the price of a film - $20.

Hope the moderators don't mind me posting this but I thought this would be of interest. If you come down, you'll see footage you've never seen elsewhere.
Thanks
Simon

Re: Right There On My TV - missing clips to be screened at St Kilda Film Festival (21 May)

Wow! I'd love to see the 'Too Young To Know' promo clip.

Re: Right There On My TV - missing clips to be screened at St Kilda Film Festival (21 May)

jetboy
Wow! I'd love to see the 'Too Young To Know' promo clip.
Hi there!
Yes it's a really cool clip for the era. In contacting various people, I was trying to find out who directed it. There was some talk it was Russell Mulcahy before I spoke to Les Gock and he thought it might have been Paul Drane (who of course did the AC/DC Long Way To The Top Swanston St one). But Paul said he did later ones for Hush like 'Sunday' but not that one. So the director remains unknown at present.

The NFSA's sole surviving copy of 'Too Young To Know' is from a 16mm workprint which is quite pink in parts and has several very rough splices but after scanning it digitally, it came up quite well.

By chance, I happened to come across a few brief seconds of it within here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5nF1PqfUw

Go to the 4 minute mark to see about 15 seconds of it.

cheers
Simon

Are there plans for rage to show some of this footage at some point?

Hi there - sorry, no idea. This would be up to Rage/ABC TV to pursue this.

Hi simon..maybe you guys could submit these to rage to be shown on tv after your festival..it wouldbe good to get them out in the public domain :)

John
Hi simon..maybe you guys could submit these to rage to be shown on tv after your festival..it wouldbe good to get them out in the public domain :)
Good idea. I would love to see that Cheetah clip (and could have used it for a 1978 top 100 chart video I compiled last year).

I can vaguely remember seeing that Cheetah clip being played on various music shows at the time. Very rare nowadays. I too would love a copy as it would go very nicely in my Australian/Kiwi Female Singers collection. 🙏

Hi Gang,

I know it's not the full clip but at least you can see a minute of it here:
https://www.facebook.com/nfsaa/videos/1964323313578516/
cheers
Simon