Return to Website

Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

A community to discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage website makeover

Or makeunder, by the looks of it.

The playlists are now only online from the stat of 2007.

Re: rage website makeover

Indeed they have done a complete revamp. Looks like they have introduced a new content management system.

Luckily I semi-regularly download and store offline all the playlists. I have them going back to 2 Jan 1998 (i.e. the start of online playlists). My most recent pulldown was back in 2014 so I should probably do another vacuum to get my archive up to date.

I think the new look is easier to read - it was all getting a bit much with well over 100 playlist headings per page per year under the old system.

The pre-2000 playlists are still indexed on google when you search e.g. site:www.abc.net.au/rage "(search term)". But then when you click on the search result from a pre-2007 playlist, an error page loads. The rage site is archived though on the Wayback Machine.

One good thing about the makeover is that the week night playlists are being posted, for both the ABC and ABC ME shows. For now, anyway.

rage said in a facebook post reply they are working on putting up the pre-2007 playlists on their new website.

That's great to know Jason. Thanks for that. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Jason D.
rage said in a facebook post reply they are working on putting up the pre-2007 playlists on their new website.
It would be great if they could put the pre-1998 playlists on the website too - since they have never published those :smile:

I think the issue is that the online playlists from 1998 to end 2006 used a fundamentally different underlying format to playlists from 2007 onwards. So it’s not trivial for them to migrate the older content to the new format. A bit of manual work might be required.

I agree. It would be great if they published the pre-1998 playlists. I wonder if they have them laying around somewhere. It could be that they were handwritten or typed and they would have to digitise them somehow for publishing on their website. rage made a comment about this many years ago, however, it was so long ago that I can't remember the reason they gave for not publishing the pre-1998 playlists.

Jason D.
I agree. It would be great if they published the pre-1998 playlists. I wonder if they have them laying around somewhere. It could be that they were handwritten or typed and they would have to digitise them somehow for publishing on their website. rage made a comment about this many years ago, however, it was so long ago that I can't remember the reason they gave for not publishing the pre-1998 playlists.
rage commented on the website forum (long defunct) that they have the playlists for those earlier years, but they are paper-based, and someone would need to manually type them all out. Someone (perhaps Jason the Moderator here) offered to assist with doing so, but nothing became of it, as far as I know.

They did show some of a handwritten playlist for the very first episode of rage in the rage 30 documentary last year.

Surely someone at ABC archives could at least scan the paper playlists, if they haven't already, and upload them, e.g. even to their instagram account? Sure, it would take a bit of time/effort, but not as much as typing it all out from scratch. Maybe someone should suggest it?

And after a blaze of activity last week with every playlist for every day across all channels being published... nothing this week since VAULT on Monday night.

“rage commented on the website forum (long defunct) that they have the playlists for those earlier years, but they are paper-based, and someone would need to manually type them all out. Someone (perhaps Jason the Moderator here) offered to assist with doing so, but nothing became of it, as far as I know.”

Clearly we need to crowd-source this job! So there are 11 years of paper-based playlists, two shows per week, so that makes it 1144 playlists to type up. On average there’s about 120 videos per show, about 20-30 minutes work depending how fast you can type :)

So if we can get 50 volunteers, that’s 23 playlists each, around 10-12 hours of typing work, and this job could be done in a few weeks!

Should we pitch that to rage? Can we get 50 volunteers from this forum?

I'd be happy to volunteer to do some, except I doubt they'd let them off-site, i.e. you'd need to type them up at whichever ABC headquarters they're held at (presumably Sydney). Not sure if I'm keen enough to take a trip to Sydney to do it... but if e.g. they could scan them, I'd happily do it from afar.

I suspect, though, that it may unfortunately be that the ABC wouldn't want to do this. I mean, it would be more bandwidth they need to use to host all of these playlists, for a start, and it's not like they're rolling in cash after the recent and future government cuts. No doubt there would also be some bureaucracy around having the playlists approved by a certain person/people at the ABC before anything was published online.

Clip Magnet, don't also forget there were 3 episodes of rage, including the 2-2.5 hour Friday morning new releases episode, from July 1993 until May 1995* inclusive.

(*though a recent check through online archived copies of The Age, looking at the TV guide, suggests that these shows ended in early March 1995 - but I swear they were continuing (in Victoria, anyway) through until mid-May 1995 (I distinctly recall seeing Bjork's 'Army of Me' on my Friday morning recording when I got home from school, and it was released that month; and I definitely got up to watch the show live during the April school holidays, from which I still have some recordings) - though maybe they just printed the same TV guide as published in the Sydney Morning Herald, which was also archived on the same site and I used it to cross-check, where it ended in March 1995).)

The Rage website has now added years going back to 1999 in the 'YEAR' pull-down tab. However, the 'MONTHS' are greyed out from 1999 to 2006, and there are no playlists as yet. A work in progress, I think.

RetroTragic
The Rage website has now added years going back to 1999 in the 'YEAR' pull-down tab. However, the 'MONTHS' are greyed out from 1999 to 2006, and there are no playlists as yet. A work in progress, I think.
I mentioned the missing years on the rage website earlier this week. They linked to Blondie's guest programming playlist from 2003, which was formatted in the new rage website layout, and I tagged them in a post asking if they were aware that the 1998-2006 playlists were missing from the new website. Maybe that prompted them to act.