Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mysterious Goanna / Shane Howard video

Purely by accident I discovered this in the National Library online database. No images of the cover. Somewhat ominously it says "No known library holdings in Australia".

I have never heard of this release and have found no record of it in the usual discography resources and music archives. The Goanna clip "Dangerous Dancing" is omitted, but that's probably because Shane Howard wasn't in it!

https://trove.nla.gov.au/version/25102041

Shane Howard, The Videos (1990)
BMG Arista/​Ariola BMG AUS 002
VHS, 32 minutes

Solid Rock
Razors Edge
Let The Franklin Flow
Common Ground
Every Passing Day
Back To The Track
Walk On Fire
If The Well Runs Dry

Re: Mysterious Goanna / Shane Howard video

I'm almost certain I saw it listed on eBay a while ago (like perhaps nearly a year ago). The seller was asking a silly price though (just under $100 from memory), so I wasn't tempted. If it had had 'Escape From Reality' on it though, I may have been.

I didn't know about that release either, and saw no mention of it a few years ago when I was tracking down his greatest hits CD.
Would be very nice to have. If it could be found on VHS, there are people who could transfer it.
A shame there is no 'Dangerous Dancing' for the sake of completion, but 'Razor's Edge' and 'Back To The Track' are rare enough to make it worthwhile.

Rare VHS tapes like this that probably had very small production runs can go for a motza. The Pseudo Echo ‎"Pseudo Flicks" VHS tape last sold on discogs.com for $200. I kid you not. I paid $90 last year for The Church's original eponymously named VHS clip collection, and nearly $50 many years ago for 1927's "...ish" tape.

I uploaded a perfect clean hi-res copy of "Razors Edge" to my YouTube channel late last year, and within two weeks it was smashed with a worldwide block.

To my surprise, Warners have just added 'Razor's Edge' to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5ImMt-h4c
I wonder if there is any other Goanna, or indeed anything else from that era.

Clip Magnet
Rare VHS tapes like this that probably had very small production runs can go for a motza. The Pseudo Echo ‎"Pseudo Flicks" VHS tape last sold on discogs.com for $200. I kid you not. I paid $90 last year for The Church's original eponymously named VHS clip collection, and nearly $50 many years ago for 1927's "...ish" tape.

I uploaded a perfect clean hi-res copy of "Razors Edge" to my YouTube channel late last year, and within two weeks it was smashed with a worldwide block.
Shame on the block.

I've probably paid close to/slightly over $100 (including international postage) for a video, but normally I buy promo various artist compilations with about 20-30 track on them, so they're not too bad 'value' per clip.

I find that a lot of Australian stuff is overpriced/Australian sellers overprice. I think because we're so geographically isolated, we don't have the concept of getting something cheaper over the border.

Brad
To my surprise, Warners have just added 'Razor's Edge' to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5ImMt-h4c
I wonder if there is any other Goanna, or indeed anything else from that era.
...except they've stretched the picture to fit the full 16:9 screen. It looks awful and squashed!

Geez record companies sometimes have no idea what they're doing.

Yes, after I posted I watched the first few seconds and it's certainly stretched to fullscreen.

'Solid Rock' is on there too, but their other recent uploads are all horrible like James Blunt and Jason Derulo *gags*

I bought one on ebay about 12 years ago for $60, the most expensive video I had ever bought but thought it was worth it as it is so rare.

I uploaded the clip Let The Franklin Flow to YouTube many years ago.

photo DSCF0215_zpsz1ee82vb.jpg

Wow! I should add this to discogs.com.

Any chance of doing a high quality digital rip to circulate to the fans? :grinning:

Brad
Yes, after I posted I watched the first few seconds and it's certainly stretched to fullscreen.

'Solid Rock' is on there too, but their other recent uploads are all horrible like James Blunt and Jason Derulo *gags*
Just a minor correction... 'fullscreen' does not mean 'fills the whole screen', unless you're viewing on a 4:3 TV. It means 4:3 aspect ratio. Confusing, yes.

Interestingly, Warners have only stretched 'Razor's Edge', but 'Solid Rock' appears to be the correct aspect ratio (I think).

I've now added this release to discogs.com

https://www.discogs.com/Shane-Howard-Shane-Howard-The-Videos/release/11481989