Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clues for Rage Goes Retro Week 3

It was a time when mullets and perms reigned supreme, Bon Jovi was livin’ on a prayer and Foreigner just wanted to know what love is. That’s right, it was the mid-eighties, aka the glory days of the power ballad and a time when Countdown was nearing the end of an era.

Throwback to those final years this Saturday as we bring you full episodes of Countdown hosted by Dave Dobbyn, Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits, David Sterry and Richard Zatorski of Real Life, and MEO 245’s Paul Northam.

Tune in from 10-11am January 20 to see music videos from the artists before the full episodes air that night from 11:52pm on ABC TV.

Re: Clues for Rage Goes Retro Week 3

MEO 245 would be earlier than "mid" eighties and certainly not the final years...

Hoping for at least 3 or 4 Real Life videos.

Brad
MEO 245 would be earlier than "mid" eighties and certainly not the final years...

They've played 'Send Me an Angel', 'Send Me an Angel '89' and 'God Tonight' before; I hope these don't get a re-hash as any Real Life standalone videos shown. Something else would be nice.

28 June 1987:

SHOW HOSTED BY DAVE DOBBYN AND INCLS USA AND UK TOP 5'S. MELDRUM TALKS TO DOBBYN AT END OF SHOW RE FILM 'FOOTROT FLATS' SHOWING AT CANNES FILM FESTIVAL AND RELEASE OF SINGLE IN AMERICA STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
DAVE DOBBYN 'YOU OUGHTA BE IN LOVE'
BOOM CRASH OPERA 'CITY FLAT'
THAT'S THAT 'GIVE ME RHYTHM'
PAINTERS AND DOCKERS 'NUDE SCHOOL' (MEMBERS OF BAND WEARING PLASTIC PIG NOSES)
VIDEO CLIPS:
CAROL HITCHCOCK 'GET READY'
THE CURE 'WHY CAN'T I BE YOU'
GO WEST 'I WANT TO HEAR IT FROM YOU'
BILLY IDOL 'SWEET SIXTEEN'
JIM KEAYS 'UNDECIDED'
THE BIG SUPREME 'PLEASE YOURSELF'
DAVID BOWIE 'TIME WILL CRAWL'
TOP TEN:
PARTY BOYS 'HE'S GONNA STEP ON YOU AGAIN'
SHONA LAING 'GLAD I'M NOT A KENNEDY'
CLUB NOUVEAU 'LEAN ON ME'
NOISEWORKS 'TAKE ME BACK'
BREAKFAST CLUB 'RIGHT ON TRACK'
WORLD PARTY 'SHIP OF FOOLS'
MEL AND KIM 'RESPECTABLE'
STARSHIP 'NOTHING'S GONNA STOP US NOW'
DAVE DOBBYN 'SLICE OF HEAVEN'
WHITNEY HOUSTON 'I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY'

23 Feb 1986:

THIS SHOW IS HOSTED BY MOLLY AND MARK KNOPFLER WHO IS IV BY MOLLY RE AUSTRALIA TOUR, SUCCESS AND SONG WRITING. NEW MEMBERS FROM BRONSKI BEAT ARE IV RE JOINING BAND AND TOUR.
VIDEO CLIPS:
EUROGLIDERS 'ABSOLUTELY'
THE CHURCH 'TANTALIZED'
INXS 'KISS THE DIRT (FALLING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN)'
ZZ TOP 'STAGES'
FEARGAL SHARKEY 'YOU LITTLE THIEF'
STEVIE NICKS 'I CAN'T WAIT'
BRONSKI BEAT 'HIT THAT PERFECT BEAT'
SCRITTI POLITTI 'PERFECT WAY'
WHITNEY HOUSTON 'HOW WILL I KNOW'
PAT BENATAR 'SEX AS A WEAPON'
DAVID BOWIE 'ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS'
DIRE STRAITS 'WALK OF LIFE' (ENDS SHOW)
CHARTBUSTERS (EXCERPTS):
JAMES BROWN 'LIVING IN AMERICA'
PET SHOP BOYS 'OPPORTUNITIES'
CLARENCE CLEMONS/JACKSON BROWNE 'YOU'RE A FRIEND OF MINE'
BILLY OCEAN 'WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING'
HUMDRUM (EXCERPTS):
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'TWO HEARTS'
STING 'RUSSIANS'
WALL OF VOODOO 'FAR SIDE OF CRAZY'
TOP TEN:
PRINCESS 'SAY I'M YOUR NO 1'
PETE TOWNSHEND 'FACE THE FACE'
VENETIANS 'SO MUCH FOR LOVE'
MR MISTER 'BROKEN WINGS'
DEE C LEE 'SEE THE DAY'
ARTISTS UNITED AGAINST APARTHEID 'SUN CITY'
WHAM I'M YOUR MAN'
DIONNE & FRIENDS 'THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR'
STARSHIP 'WE BUILT THIS CITY'
FEARGAL SHARKEY 'A GOOD HEART'

ohnoitisnathan
Brad
MEO 245 would be earlier than \"mid\" eighties and certainly not the final years...

They've played 'Send Me an Angel', 'Send Me an Angel '89' and 'God Tonight' before; I hope these don't get a re-hash as any Real Life standalone videos shown. Something else would be nice.
'Face To Face' has been on my wishlist forever.

19 February 1984:

HOSTED BY DAVID STERRY AND RICHARD ZARTORSKI FROM REAL LIFE AND MOLLY INTERVIEWING DAVID AND RICHARD RE TOUR, SINGLE, SUCCESS, IMAGE INCLUDED FTG OF ELTON JOHN'S WEDDING.
VIDEO CLIPS:
REAL LIFE 'CATCH ME I'M FALLING';
EUROGLIDERS 'ANOTHER DAY IN THE BIG WORLD';
YES 'OWNER OF A LONELY HEART';
CYNDI LAUPER 'GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN';
ROMANTICS 'TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP';
BETTE MIDLER 'BEAST OF BURDEN';
PRETENDERS 'MIDDLE OF THE ROAD' AND IV RE SONGWRITER RAY DAVIS, ALBUM, MUSIC.
THOMAS DOLBY 'HYPERACTIVE';
VAN HALEN 'JUMP';
HUMDRUM:
PAUL MCCARTNEY 'PIPES OF PEACE';
U2 'NEW YEAR'S DAY';
JOHN COUGAR, LATER KNOWN AS JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP AND JOHN MELLENCAMP 'A LITTLE PINK HOUSE';
MOTELS 'REMEMBER THE NIGHTS';
TOP TEN:
LIONEL RICHIE 'ALL NIGHT LONG';
QUIET RIOT 'CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE';
JOHN LENNON 'NOBODY TOLD ME';
PARTON & ROGERS 'ISLAND IN THE STREAM';
IRENE CARA 'WHY ME';
MICHAEL JACKSON 'THRILLER';
CULTURE CLUB 'VICTIMS';
MONO ROCK 'COME SAID THE BOY';
INXS 'ORIGINAL SIN';
PAT BENATAR 'LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD'

23 August 1981:

GUEST PRESENTER IS PAUL NORTHAM,LEAD SINGER FROM MEO245.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
TOYSHOW 'THEN I KISSED HIM'
GILLIAN EASTOE 'ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART'
SERIOUS YOUNG INSECTS 'TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING WORDS'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
SWANEE 'IF I WERE A CARPENTER'
MEO245 'OTHER PLACES'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
TOYAH 'I WANT TO BE FREE'
RAINBOW 'IT CAN'T HAPPEN HERE'
PHD 'I WON'T LET YOU DOWN'
QUICK 'YOUNG MEN DRIVE FAST'
KIMCARNES 'DRAW OF THE CARDS'
KIM WILDE 'CHEQUERED LOVE'
ATTACK 'DON'T YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC'
DEVO 'WHIP IT'
CHARTBUSTERS:
MONDO ROCK 'CHEMISTRY'
LENA LOVICH 'NEW TOY'
JONA LEWIE 'LOUISE'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
AIR SUPPLY 'THE ONE THAT YOU LOVE'
ADAM & THE ANTS 'STAND & DELIVER'
BUREAU 'ONLY FOR SHEEP'
RENEE GEYER 'SAY I LOVE YOU'
POINTER SISTERS 'SLOW HAND'
BUCKS FIZZ 'MAKIN YOUR MIND UP'
RICK SPRINGFIELD 'JESSIE'S GIRL'
MEN AT WORK 'WHO CAN IT BE NOW'
STARS ON 45 'STARS ON 45'

Mid 80s, ughhhhhhh ...

I requested an episode with Meo 245 hosting from 1981 as my timer code episode has very intense audio problems, I think from the tape it was transfered to. That would be this episode:

COUNTDOWN: Date:23/08/1981
Show no: 298
Summary:GUEST PRESENTER IS PAUL NORTHAM,LEAD SINGER FROM MEO245.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
TOYSHOW 'THEN I KISSED HIM'
GILLIAN EASTOE 'ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART'
SERIOUS YOUNG INSECTS 'TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING WORDS'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
SWANEE 'IF I WERE A CARPENTER'
MEO245 'OTHER PLACES'

OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS FROM:
TOYAH, RAINBOW, PHD, QUICK,KIM CARNES,
KIM WILDE, DEVO

I am not a fan of 1987 episodes but I did request a 1987 episode in case rage had to play one from that crappy era and it is actually the Dave Dobyn episode ... I requested it for That's That with Give Me Rhythm live in the Countdown studio as I adore the track. And Big Surpreme with Please Yourself.

1984 one looks okay but all filled with video clips, at least it is 1984.

That's only 4 Countdown episodes. I wonder what they're filling the rest of the show up with?

1986 looks rather boring but could be worse.

I guess a Rock Arena may be played or a Motorhead special, ughhhhhh

Jason 'The Moderator'
1986 looks rather boring but could be worse.

I guess a Rock Arena may be played or a Motorhead special, ughhhhhh
I think (hope) they will do a Motorhead tribute on Friday night.

Hopefully a Rock Arena from 1983-1986 with plenty of videos, not a concert or artist special.
I'd love to see some The Factory too one day, for nostalgia.

From the mention of 4 Countdown's and no Rock Arena mention I think rage will do a Motorhead special on Saturday night, arghhhhhhhhhh

Ohnoitsnathan - has the 19 February 1984 Countdown been shown before? I remember recording an episode for the "Catch Me I'm Falling" clip quite a few years ago.

The episode with Real Life has not been shown as it's not in my records

Clip Magnet
Ohnoitsnathan - has the 19 February 1984 Countdown been shown before? I remember recording an episode for the "Catch Me I'm Falling" clip quite a few years ago.
'Catch Me I'm Falling' aired on a Countdown shown a few years ago, but it must have been a different episode.

I think you might be thinking of the July 3, 1983 episode that David Sterry was guest host which aired on January 4, 2014. Real Life clips God Tonight and Send Me An Angel followed the episode from memory.

Will rage ever show the first episode of 1985?

I requested the first show of 1985 for this retro season as Kate Ceberano hosts, would have been a much better choice than the 1986 one this weekend

I know you don't want us to post about 90s stuff here Jason, but this is relevant... The Cranberries tribute, scheduled for Friday night, is also going to eat into half of the 10-11am Saturday morning retro month slot. I'm guessing the other half will be Motorhead clips.

This s h i t always seems to happen. So, at best, we well get 2.5 hours of retro month content during the Saturday morning slot this year, possibly 2 if Motorhead fills the other half, when it should have been 4 hours' worth of retro clips shown this month. Ripped off! It could even only be 1 hour if someone else dies next week.

I know most of you here seem to be more interested in the Countdown repeats shown on Saturday nights, but I'm equally interested in what is shown during the Saturday morning hour - if it is good, and rare clips are shown.

So 2 Saturday mornings with tributes to dead artists. I don't see why rage can't play these specials at 5 am on Sunday morning seeing rage goes retro finishes at 5 am anyway or on Friday night.

Yes, it's very annoying. ABC could schedule these repeats whenever they want to, but it seems important to them to eat into retro programming! There is at least one other whole ABC channel which is mostly off-air, where they could move *all* of the retro stuff if they wanted to. All of these guest programmers who aren't even famous, yet they take priority over the Vault if an artist tribute needs repeating. I doubt the same demographic watch both the Vault and the new releases/guest programmers, so why not separate them?

Jason 'The Moderator'
So 2 Saturday mornings with tributes to dead artists. I don't see why rage can't play these specials at 5 am on Sunday morning seeing rage goes retro finishes at 5 am anyway or on Friday night.
Exactly. We were lulled into thinking this might be a good retro month for rare clips getting an airing on Saturday morning after the first week.

Last week's bumping of retro month on Saturday morning to replay a segment from a Primitive Calculators guest programming from 2014 as a tribute to one of them dying was most ridiculous. Who has even heard of them before?

The clips rage are playing in between Countdown episodes aren't particularly RARE either, thought he video for THE NUMBERS with Jericho was a GEM!

At least the Chysalis VAULT was AMAZING on Monday night and I finally got some videos I have been asking years for.

I don't know why rage are doing a Cranberries tribute on Friday night and Saturday morning, isn't Friday night a good enough run

Jason 'The Moderator'
The clips rage are playing in between Countdown episodes aren't particularly RARE either, thought he video for THE NUMBERS with Jericho was a GEM!

At least the Chysalis VAULT was AMAZING on Monday night and I finally got some videos I have been asking years for.

I don't know why rage are doing a Cranberries tribute on Friday night and Saturday morning, isn't Friday night a good enough run
The thing is, the Friday night tribute will almost certainly be repeated on ABC Sunday night, depending on how long the program (and tribute) runs for. This happened with the Moody Blues last week.

And also, the Saturday morning hour will be repeated Thursday night on ABC ME. Soooo many repeats. Great for when you miss or get a glitch on something, yes. But 4 showings of the same thing is too much.

And yes, the Chrysalis vault was fantastic. It's just... there was no need to bump the retro month hour. I hope some Real Life videos that aren't those they've aired before (both 'Send Me an Angel' videos and 'God Tonight') manage to pop up after the Countdown they host.

The fifth retro program airing this Saturday night is:

COUNTDOWN April 19, 1987 (550: From 'The Underground' Disco)

Rage have got the date as the 19th, but the archive info on the main site has the 16th.

Year: 1987
Date: 16/4/1987
Show no: 550
Summary: THIS SHOW COMES FROM UNDER 18'S DISCO AT MELBOURNE NIGHSPOT 'THE UNDERGROUND' AND THERE IS NO HOST. MOLLY PRESENTS HUMDRUM WEARING A VERY BRIGHTLY COLOURED JACKET AND THERE IS A COMPILE OF B&W FTG PEOPLE JITTERBUGGING AND PEOPLE DANCING ON STAGE AT UNDERGROUND ;HUMDRUM EXCERPTS:;THE SMITHS 'AUNT';DAVE DOBIN 'SLICE OF HEAVEN';VIDEO EXCERPTS:;BON JOVI 'YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME';MICHAEL JACKSON 'THRILLER';BON JOVI 'LIVIN' ON A PRAYER';VIDEO CLIPS:;PEPSI & SHIRLIE
'HEARTACHE';BOY GEORGE 'EVERYTHING I OWN' (INTRODUCED BY BOY GEORGE FANS AT UNDERGROUND);THE CULT 'LOVE REMOVAL MACHINE';BANGLES 'WALKING DOWN YOUR STREET';THE HOUSEMARTINS 'CARAVAN OF LOVE';HOLIDAY WRAP/BUS STOP DANCE NUMBER (INC YOUTHS DANCING TO SONG AT UNDER 18'S DISCO);FLEETWOOD MAC 'BIG LOVE';FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS 'EVER FALLEN IN LOVE';TERENCE TRENT-D'ARBY 'IF YOU LET ME STAY';U2 'WITH OR WITHOUT YOU';PAUL LEKAKIS 'BOOM BOOM';NATIONAL TOP TEN:;BON JOVI 'LIVIN' ON A PRAYER';HOODOO GURUS 'WHAT'S MY SCENE';MAN 2 MAN MEET MAN PARRISH 'MALE STRIPPER';STACEY Q 'WE CONNECT';BOY GEORGE 'EVERYTHING I OWN';ROBBIE NEVIL 'C'EST LA VIE';CHANTOOZIES 'WITCH QUEEN';FRANKLIN/MICHAEL 'I KNEW YOU WERE WAITING';EUROPE 'THE FINAL COUNTDOWN'