Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RAGE GOES RETRO - Week 2

Rage are already dropping hints about this weekend.

Dig out the synth and stock up on eyeliner, because week two of Retro Month means venturing even further back into the Countdown archives to bring you episodes hosted by Mondo Rock, The Boomtown Rats and other early '1980s stars.

There'll be awkward moments a'plenty, some interesting makeup choices and cringy dance moves as we head back, shockingly to before Rage was even a thing. Sharon O'Neill will also be there setting the mood with the sultry tones of 'Maxine' in 1981, before Annalise Morrow represents the Sydney crew from The Numbers. But stay tuned later in the evening when Marc Hunter of Dragon transports us to 1983.

Tune in to week two of Retro Month, Saturday January 13 from 11:53pm on ABC TV.

Re: RAGE GOES RETRO - Week 2

Sounds good, but no 'Maxine' in 1981...

I hope it's not too much of a stretch for rage to play some Maybe Dolls videos, given the Numbers connection. But I wouldn't think they'd be inclined to.

And yes, good point about 'Maxine'.

YAY!!!! Finally the Boomtown Rats episode!

Hmmm, I wonder what other episodes will be played.

Marc Hunter from 1983 and Sharon O'Neal from 1981 with Maxine?

Hopefully I don't have these in timer code and that the stretched screen will be fixed ...

Annalise Morrow must be a timer code copy I have, drats ...

The Bob Geldof episode will be May 11 1980 as that was the clothes he was wearing on that episode. Hopefully it would be the lost May 25 1980 show where Bob replaced Gary Numan who was a late withdrawal as host but that is very unlikely.

Assuming they don't show repeated episodes, the Mondo Rock episode could be Nov 23 1980 or December 4 1983. Patrick and I suggested the Dec 4 episode so I would be very happy if it was that one as it features Computer One, Bon Voyage and Staring At The Embers which were three of my favourites from that year all on the one episode.

Sharon O'Neill hosted the October 25 1981 episode, which would match the 1981 reference, but as Maxine is from 1983 I don't know what they are referring to. She only hosted the March 6th episode and that was before Maxine was released along with that episode airing just 2 years ago.

Annalise Morrow of The Numbers hosted August 29 1982 which would almost certainly be that episode.

The Mark Hunter episode would be Oct 2 1983.

Thanks Nathan for checking the rage site tonight and posting.

And Armin, yay ... Good work!

I will look at the dates you said may be the episodes. The Annalise one would be the timer code we have, yes?

Jason 'The Moderator"
Thanks Nathan for checking the rage site tonight and posting.

And Armin, yay ... Good work!

I will look at the dates you said may be the episodes. The Annalise one would be the timer code we have, yes?
Jason
Brad actually posted the information, not Nathan.

Yes the Annalise we have timecoded. Also the Bob Geldof, Marc Hunter and Sharon O'Neill ones exist as the same but none of the 5 episodes have ever been shown on Rage so it is great to get another 5 episodes in week 2. I didn't realise you were looking forward to the Bob Geldof episode as you hadn't been suggesting that one.

It's looking to be a very good year for Countdown.

I can't find October 2nd, 1983 in my archives, drats!

Do you have info on that show Armin?

Also the Bob Geldof, Marc Hunter and Sharon O'Neill ones exist as the same

What do you mean, exist as the same?

I know I have the timer code of Annalise where she hosts very poorly and mucks up everything, hehe. And she raves about Bananarama's Shy Boy, which i love x

Jason 'The Moderator"
I can't find October 2nd, 1983 in my archives, drats!

Do you have info on that show Armin?
Jason the Oct 2 1983 episode is episode 390 which you have recorded as Sept 30 although that was the recording date and not the broadcast date.

Year: 1983
Date: 30/9/1983
Show no: 390
Summary: POPULAR MUSIC SERIES FEATURING LOCAL AND OVERSEAS ARTISTS. THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY MARC HUNTER AND FEATURES THE DIVINYLS AND A COMMENT ON HAIR FASHION BY INTREPID REPORTERS TIM AND DEBBIE. MOLLY (IN HAT) PRESENTS MUSIC NEWS IN HUMDRUM AND TOP TEN ITEMS ARE SHOWN. MOLLY HAS COPY OF AMERICA'S CUP IN GLASS CASE IN STUDIO TO CELEBRATE AUSTRALIA'S WIN & INTERVIEWS KIM WILDE IN LONDON.
LOCAL ARTISTS:
DRAGON 'RAIN'
LITTLE HEROES 'WATCH THE WORLD'
GLEN SHORROCK 'WE'RE COMING TO GET YA'
ALAN CASWELL 'THE AUSTRALIA'S CUP'
TWO MAN BAND 'WE'RE GONNA GRAB THAT CUP'
MEN AT WORK 'DOWN UNDER'
DIVINYLS 'CASUAL ENCOUNTER'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
STRAY CATS 'SHE'S SEXY AND 17'
CURE 'THE WALK'
KIM WILDE 'LOVE BLONDE'
SPANDAU BALLET 'GOLD'
NEW EDITION 'POPCORN LOVE'
EURYTHMICS 'WHO'S THAT GIRL'
TIM SCOTT 'SWEAR'
CULTURE CLUB 'I'LL TUMBLE FOR YA'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
BILLY JOEL 'TELL HER ABOUT IT'
IRENE CARA 'FLASHDANCE'
CULTURE CLUB 'KARMA CHAMELEON'
MEN WITHOUT HATS 'SAFETY DANCE'
ELTON JOHN 'I GUESS THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT THE BLUES'
TACO 'PUTTIN ON THE RITZ'
FREEEZ 'IOU'
DRAGON 'RAIN'
PAT WILSON 'BOP GIRL'
AUSTEN TAYSHUS 'AUSTRALIANA'

Jason 'The Moderator"
Also the Bob Geldof, Marc Hunter and Sharon O'Neill ones exist as the same

What do you mean, exist as the same?

I know I have the timer code of Annalise where she hosts very poorly and mucks up everything, hehe. And she raves about Bananarama's Shy Boy, which i love x
I have the timecoded episodes for those 3 episodes as well. It looks like I won't gain much new footage this week but it is nice to get clean episodes without those annoying timecodes, although we may have to live with watermarks and distorted ratios - can't win, don't try.

When there is still so much footage in the ABC archives I am happy if they select anything that hasn't aired before on Rage. 2 weeks and 10 episodes is a great start.

Annalise's hosting probably won't attract an invitation to Mensa but it is an entertaining episode.

Great!

Thanks Armin. Again, I just have the info ABC gave me in their archives and placed them in the Archives section.

Thanks for clearing that up :-) :-)

So which timercodes do we have 3 of as I can't be bothered looking them up

> GLEN SHORROCK 'WE'RE COMING TO GET YA'

D@mn, I could have used that for my 'Australian top 10 singles from the 1980s that missed the end of year charts' video that I uploaded in December, for which I had to resort using a YouTube upload with just an image of the single as the visual, as no music video or performance of the track was on YouTube (that I saw, anyway).

I just checked my WD Box and I don't have 25/10/1981 with Sharon O'Neal. That must be a timer code episode I don't have from you

Jason 'The Moderator"
So which timercodes do we have 3 of as I can't be bothered looking them up
See previous post. We are posting simultaneously.

I expect that I will have 4 of the 5 episodes timecoded, not sure if I passed them all on to you but I thought I had.

Will be good to get the Kim Wilde interview from the Marc Hunter hosted episode without the timer code ...

And great to get 'Casual Encounter' without a watermark. Though as it will be part of the show, it won't be quite the full song as rage aired (from a studio tape source, I assume) in 2013, and it will probably be zoomed-in on unless the guy Jason spoke to can get things changed in time.

Ooopps, Thanks Brad for posting! :-)

I don't have May 11th with Bob Geldof on timer code as well. So Bob Geldof and Sharon O'Neal are 2 episodes I don't have

ohnoitisnathan

D@mn, I could have used that for my 'Australian top 10 singles from the 1980s that missed the end of year charts' video that I uploaded in December, for which I had to resort using a YouTube upload with just an image of the single as the visual, as no music video or performance of the track was on YouTube (that I saw, anyway).
Glen Shorrock made the Top 10 with that??? I can't even recall it charting at all. From memory it was only a snippet that was shown and the same as Alan Caswell, which was also just a snippet, it wasn't an actual clip but just a bit of footage from the America's Cup.

I liked Tim and Debbie from that episode. Australia, You're Standing In It along with The Gillies Report were must see Australian comedy on the ABC in the mid 80's.

Little Heroes, Divinyls and Kim Wilde are highlights, however I hated New Edition then and 35 years later that opinion on Bobby Brown's band hasn't changed.

Armin
ohnoitisnathan

Glen Shorrock made the Top 10 with that??? I can't even recall it charting at all. From memory it was only a snippet that was shown and the same as Alan Caswell, which was also just a snippet, it wasn't an actual clip but just a bit of footage from the America's Cup.
Yeah, I'd never heard of it before, either, other than maybe reading about it on Gavin's blog (but I had since forgotten it). Some of the reached the top 10 but missed the end of year top 100 chart songs are quite forgettable. That would make sense about it being just footage of the America's Cup, so I guess I didn't really miss much.

I have a Glenn Shorrock best of CD with 'We're Coming To Get You' but I've never seen a video, so hopefully the Countdown one will be more than a snippet.

I wonder if 'Watch The World' by Little Heroes is the same as the Rockamerica video, or a live performance. Either way it will be a highlight, as Armin said. As is anything Kim Wilde.

Some of that looks great... I guess we find out in 2 days.

But still no Rock Arenas??

I would love 5 Countdown's each weekend for the whole of January but I do love a little Rock Arena thrown in as well as one gets to see some RARE videos at times. If only rage goes retro went to 7 am and didn't stop at 5 am!

That way we could have 5 Countdown's each weekend and 2 Rock Arena's each weekend which would total 20 Countdown's and 8 Rock Arena's!

Why ABC have a Comedy channel when they could have an ABC Music channel with Countdown, rage, Rock Arena, Beat Box, The Factory e.t.c... arghhhhhh ...

But of course, music is treated as a novelty in Australia and not important as it is overseas

Brad alerted me earlier in the week that they're replaying the Saturday morning hour from when Primitive Calculators programmed in 2014, as one of them recently died. So there goes an hour of retro month-related music videos on Saturday morning :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Also, one of Motorhead recently died, so expect there'll be a tribute for that in the not too distant future. Hopefully it won't eat into retro month time.

Agreed - the ABC have more than enough music shows in their archives to have a dedicated music channel all year round.

They could start screening Countdown from the earliest episodes right to the end if they show one every day. The same with The Factory, Countdown Revolution, Rock Arena, Beat Box and even Hitscene, GTK and Six O'clock Rock (although I think there are only a handful of those around). They could also air classic Rage Top 50s as well from various years. A lot of things they could screen.

Otherwise those classic shows are just sitting in the archives doing nothing. But as Jason said, sadly Australia hates its culture - except if it's sports related (great if you like sport but not so good for those that don't).

Ecstatic to see the 1981 show hosted by Sharon O’Neill as I think it was a show that I had listed as my request selection and to my knowledge it had not aired since back in 1981. Yay!!!πŸ™πŸŽ‰πŸŽΆπŸ“ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

Patrick
Agreed - the ABC have more than enough music shows in their archives to have a dedicated music channel all year round.

They could start screening Countdown from the earliest episodes right to the end if they show one every day. The same with The Factory, Countdown Revolution, Rock Arena, Beat Box and even Hitscene, GTK and Six O'clock Rock (although I think there are only a handful of those around). They could also air classic Rage Top 50s as well from various years. A lot of things they could screen.

Otherwise those classic shows are just sitting in the archives doing nothing. But as Jason said, sadly Australia hates its culture - except if it's sports related (great if you like sport but not so good for those that don't).
Sport is culture? That's news to me.