Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pat DiNizio, lead singer of the Smithereens, dead at 62

When I saw tonight's playlist open with 3 Smithereens songs, I thought, oh no, something's happened, because it's years since rage played any Smithereens.

And indeed the news is the lead singer, Pat DiNizio, died on Tuesday (Wednesday our time) at age 62. No cause of death was provided, but he had experienced numerous health issues and injuries in recent years.

The Smithereens were one of my favourite rock bands. I saw them at a gig in Dee Why in the early 90s, a gig that was so loud it permanently damaged my hearing - my ears were ringing afterwards for 2 days straight. It was memorable because it was a small venue and the band really got into it, Jim Babjak even came down offstage and played his guitar among the punters.

Sad news. For me at least. They're all dropping off the perch.

Re: Pat DiNizio, lead singer of the Smithereens, dead at 62

My record collection is sadly looking more like a mausoleum with each passing year, and not like the temple to the living artists and the not so recently departed of my parents era, as it once was.

One of my favorite mid eighties groups as well as one of my longest waits to pick up a specific vinyl album (Especially For You) from at over 20 years. I will miss his songwriting as it really struck a cord with me at a troubled time in my life.

I also hope the 3-video tribute is not all we get. Is it too much to ask they do a proper retrospective on Tuesday morning or rage next week? I'm not on facebook so how do I get the message through to rage?

You can email rage at rage@abc.net.au. Just don't expect a reply; they virtually never do. But presumably it at least gets read.