Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: End of year Aria Rage countdowns

I compiled a video for singles that peaked within the top 10 during the 80s, but missed the end of year top 100 charts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqQBgJSirr0 . Also included, towards the end, are singles peaking at #11 during the 80s that missed the end of year charts.

Cheers for that Nath, I've sent you a responce via email, cheers for that.

Nice and any update on doing some snippets of tracks from 80s compilations? starting with 'Summer '88?

Michael
Nice and any update on doing some snippets of tracks from 80s compilations? starting with 'Summer '88?
^ Oops, I had almost forgotten about that. It's not something I've given much thought to yet.

That's OK, just a gentle reminder!

Thank you, a favorite year of music for me, and pretty much the major start point of my collection as it is from here things get a whole lot of serious from now on.

This year also starts the rise of such shows as "Sounds" and "Countdown" as hit making powerhouses that we have come to know them as. As this is the first year their dual impact upon the 'performance on the show' and MAJOR and MEMORABLE 'hit record' is truly apparent, especially if the backing came from the "Countdown" direction.

^ Glad you like it. 1976 was 2 years before I was born, so I'm discovering some new (old) music through compiling these. Many of the 'videos' I've used are TV performances, but they're still interesting to see.

I re-did the audio for several (but not all) tracks that had mono or poor quality audio... which was somewhat of a challenge, given, for whatever reason, back then many of the videos (at least those I've sourced from rage) were playing at a different speed to the audio, requiring the audio to be sped up or slowed down to be in sync with the visuals. It's not just the '4%' speed difference thing that sometimes happens with PAL; the audio for these was up to + or - 5 point something% for a couple of tracks, and one I think was only a fraction (-0 point 8%) slower than the visual.

I will probably attempt a 1975 video at some point, but might give it a break for a while. This one took me nearly a week to put together.

Just watch your top 100 singles of 1976. Great work but just wonder where you find the Rock Me Gently clip from Sherbet. I never seen it before and can't find it in Youtube?

Scott
Just watch your top 100 singles of 1976. Great work but just wonder where you find the Rock Me Gently clip from Sherbet. I never seen it before and can't find it in Youtube?
Thanks, glad you like. I sourced that 'Rock Me Gently' clip from a Countdown episode; pretty sure one that aired in 2016. They didn't air the full clip though, so I couldn't use the chorus as I would otherwise have done.

The clip I have is 1:08 minutes long. I've got a snippet of John Paul Young hosting at the end, so it's from an episode he hosts (or at least presents part of). It doesn't look like it's the 100th episode, though, or one of the top 100 of 1976 episodes, as there is no number on the clip. I'm not sure why only a minute of the clip was shown... perhaps it was a Chartbuster, but there is no voice-over during it.

It would have been from one of the 70s episodes that sired in 2016 during the Michael Shrimpton tribute.

I plan to do a 1975 top 100 video at some point; I got a bit burnt out after making the 1976 one though, as it took the better part of a week!

Of course, since I've made this and other chart videos, rage have aired several clips I could have used for them (I wanted to use rage clips wherever possible; partly to help with keeping a consistent sound level), e.g. I could have used 'Blinded By the Light' (without watermark), 'A Matter of Trust' and 'Heartache All Over the World' from this morning. I've also since discovered I had 1 or 2 things I could have used but didn't know I had, like a John Paul Young Countdown performance for one of the clips there was no video for in the 1977 (I think) chart.

Thank you for your information. Hopefully someone will upload that Sherbet clip in full.

Scott - I don't know if it's the same performance/video used on Countdown, but I have a Sherbet greatest hits DVD.

It looks like it was a 'made for a TV show' video; but it's hard to distinguish back then what was a 'real' music video vs. what wasn't. Daryl messes his lip sync up at one point in this just-over-1-minute clip, so I assume it was all or mostly done in one take.

Brad
Scott - I don't know if it's the same performance/video used on Countdown, but I have a Sherbet greatest hits DVD.
It's Daryl sitting down next to a dog, wearing a shirt with red stripes on it.

ohnoitisnathan
Brad
It's Daryl sitting down next to a dog, wearing a shirt with red stripes on it.
Very different to the one on the DVD then. This has Daryl wearing a green open-shirt satin thing, and is a full band live performance with a studio audience.
If you or Scott or anyone else wants it or other clips from the DVD just let me know.

Brad
ohnoitisnathan
Brad
Scott - I don\'t know if it\'s the same performance/video used on Countdown, but I have a Sherbet greatest hits DVD.
It\'s Daryl sitting down next to a dog, wearing a shirt with red stripes on it.
Very different to the one on the DVD then. This has Daryl wearing a green open-shirt satin thing, and is a full band live performance with a studio audience.
If you or Scott or anyone else wants it or other clips from the DVD just let me know.
The 15 second snippet I've used in the top 100 of 1976 video starts at 11:10 minutes into the video, if you want to see it.

ohnoitisnathan
Brad
ohnoitisnathan
Brad
Scott - I don\\\'t know if it\\\'s the same performance/video used on Countdown, but I have a Sherbet greatest hits DVD.
It\\\'s Daryl sitting down next to a dog, wearing a shirt with red stripes on it.
The 15 second snippet I've used in the top 100 of 1976 video starts at 11:10 minutes into the video, if you want to see it.
Thanks. Very different performances.

Thank you Brad I have the sherbet DVD. My Dad is a sherbet fan and he said it is the original rock me gently clip. He is also a Mad Hush fan and if anyone has any original clips such as Glad all over, Too young to know , Nothing stay the same forever etc. would be really appreciate if you can upload on YouTube thank you.

I can upload the 1:08 clip of the video I have, though obviously it would be better to have the whole thing.

ohnoitisnathan
Please ignore this link. I removed this upload after spotting a couple of rage titles I forgot to include in it... I'll post the amended video link soon.

Amended top 100 singles of 1975 video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmFmLmGSCuE

You almost seem to forget just how "BIG' Country Music was as a chart entity during the early years of the 1970s. This brought all that back to me. It also was the year I started to develop my musical tastes (sadly was unaware of the group Taste at this point) that would mature and develop in the decades to come. It also saw the revival of Australian recordings on the charts and the first notches in many a now long career for many artists. A nice touch on the video was the more professional approach of the TOTP dancers, a level that the Countdown dance crew would only equal by decades end.

I've made a video featuring top 10 singles from the 1990s that do not appear in the end of year top 100 chart, plus #11-peaking singles from the 1990s that also missed the end of year chart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g88MfSG7ECk

I can definitely sense a decline in the quality of the music in this from around the mid 90s.

I may do a 1974 top 100 video in the future, but the 1975 one was a bit difficult in that I had to use TV performances for most of the 'videos', as a lot of songs don't have proper music videos (or, at least, they're not on YouTube) or a TV performance was used as the music video. Plus, 1974 is the first year that the Kent Music Report published these charts at the time. While David Kent later back-calculated annual (and weekly) charts for earlier years, I don't consider these official, as they were not published at the time. I'm not sure if the Go-Set charts (which preceded the Kent Music Report) published an annual chart.

Rage certainly aired a top 50 for 1988 as i remember staying up all night to watch it. As mentioned elsewhere there were several videos not played. I'm guessing they were running short of time.

JASE, I think it's more likely that rage discarded those videos they didn't air in the top 50 of 1988, though I guess it's possible that they also ran out of time. As it would have been the first annual chart they aired, they probably didn't know in advance that it was coming - so though they could chuck out videos they no longer 'needed' once they' fallen out of the top 50. Or so that's my theory.

I made a mistake in the top 10 (and #11) singles of the 1990s that missed the end of year chart video (I included a song that actually did make the end of year chart - Cliff Richard's 'The Millennium Prayer'), so here is the amended version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTvNcrd-jjs

I remember Whenever You Need Somebody wasnt played in the countdown but it was played when Rick Astley guest programmed a few years back

A video I compiled containing singles that peaked within the ARIA top 20 singles chart (but not within the top 10 or at #11) from 1989-1990 that did not make the end of year top 100 charts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ongC-NwH22w

ohnoitisnathan
A video I compiled containing singles that peaked within the ARIA top 20 singles chart (but not within the top 10 or at #11) from 1989-1990 that did not make the end of year top 100 charts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ongC-NwH22w
Ignore this link. I re-uploaded the video after spotting a mistake (an omitted title screen for 'Just Like Jesse James').

Here is the updated link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YrJXjDjs3g

Top 20 (and #21) singles from 1987-1988 that missed the end of year top 100 charts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KX5wMMkJGQ

Top 20 (and #21) singles from 1986 that missed the end of year top 100 chart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpdwPE-Jz8w

Top 20 (and #21) singles from 1991-1992 that missed the end of year top 100 charts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZixhsqmOrw

Top 20 (and #21) singles from 1983-1984 that did not make the end of year top 100 charts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmhEfmwoFyQ

I amended my 1987-1988 top 20 singles that did not make the end of year top 100 charts, as I omitted Jerry Harrison's 'Man With a Gun' on my earlier upload. Here's the corrected video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD0LLnKSkFg

Top 20 (and #21) singles from 1985 that did not make the end of year top 100 chart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXBAnHe_q-c

Top 30 (and #31) singles from 1989 that did not make the end of year top 100 chart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CRfegNNvjM

Top 30 (and #31) singles from 1987-1988 that did not make the end of year top 100 chart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskfJWGEV0s

Not an annual chart, but a regular weekly rage top 60 chart, though only positions 40-1, from 25 April 1992:

Another weekly chart, this time the rage top 60 for 12th October 1991:

Weekly rage top 60 chart from 8th June 1991:

Weekly rage top 60 chart from 8th December 1990:

Weekly rage top 50 (48 to 1) from 19th May 1990:

Top 40 (and #41) singles from 1989:

Top 50 (and #51) singles from 1989:

I've had to re-edit some of these uploads to avoid issues with copyright ID. It seems now that WMG and UMG are identifying tracks where only 15 seconds have been used in a video - and, occasionally, the videos are blocked as a result ::)

New and improved Australian top 50 singles of 1986. Rage have aired 8 more videos from this since I uploaded the first version in June 2017!:

Top 20 (and #21) singles from 1991-1992 that missed the end of year top 100 chart:

rage top 60 from 12 October 1991:

Australian top 50 singles of 1982, re-edited to avoid copyright blocking.

Australian top 50 singles of 1987 (re-edited so that it's no longer blocked in 9 countries):

Australian top 100 singles of 1978 (re-edited to avoid copyright issues):

rage top 50 of 1994 re-edited to avoid blocking:

Top 40 (and #41) singles from 1988:

1 2