Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: End of year Aria Rage countdowns

I'm pleased to report that I've transferred all the end of year countdowns to my hard drive and archived them to disc. I've also included clips that aired before and after some countdowns but just with the countdowns the duration is 50 hours spread over 50 discs. I'm keen to get these recordings off my hard drive in the next couple of months as their taking up quite a bit of much needed space but I'm ready to help anyone out that also wants these recordings. Please email me so we can discuss the details, cheers.

Probably of less interest to people here, but here's a couple of early 90s annual ARIA chart videos I've compiled:

1990 (100 to 61) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObUpIyVmEo

1991 (100 to 61) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3diMZj0CA1s

1992 (100 to 61) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBmBXRs-3k

1993 (100 to 61) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nDwDQ6Xo0s

Nathan Sawford
I'm pleased to report that I've transferred all the end of year countdowns to my hard drive and archived them to disc. I've also included clips that aired before and after some countdowns but just with the countdowns the duration is 50 hours spread over 50 discs. I'm keen to get these recordings off my hard drive in the next couple of months as their taking up quite a bit of much needed space but I'm ready to help anyone out that also wants these recordings. Please email me so we can discuss the details, cheers.

I have just received copies of all the Aria end of year charts on DVD and I must say Nathan has done a superb job - I am very pleased with the quality on all the ones I have watched, as good as what will ever be obtained from VHS sources, exceptionally good. It is hard to find footage of material from this era, especially late 80s, in decent condition these days and I would recommend these to anyone who would like to obtain them. Thanks again Nathan!!

I can support what Brett said as Nathan has done several of these Rage Top 50s for me as well. They are of outstanding picture and sound quality - especially the 89,90 ones I have.

They are probably the best I've ever seen a Top 50 look sourced from a VHS tape - very high standard and worth checking out. Nathan did a great job with them and anyone after some Top 50s in great condition should go to him about copies - fantastic work.

Top 100 of 1986 (100 to 51) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl0sxuCX0k8

Top 100 of 1984 (100 to 51) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3dwcNgDTbM

Top 50 of 1988 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP6cMWLcRJ4

Done because no-one seems to have the full rage top 50 for that year, and it is missing several videos rage didn't air, anyway (at least on the copy I have).

Australian Music Report* top 100 singles of 1988 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_LTXSQprLI

(*this was the compiler of the Australian chart from May 1974. ARIA licensed the top 50 portion of their chart from mid-1983 until June 1988. As I wasn't able to obtain positions 51-100 for the annual chart for 1988 from ARIA, I've resorted to making a video based on this chart. Only singles that did not make the ARIA top 50 of the year are featured).

Hey all, Thank you Brett and Patrick for the feedback, I'm really pleased you guys are happy and think as much of these recordings as I do I've never seen VHS recordings from Rage look and sound as good as these do so I wanted to share this video I've made up which shows a sample of each Rage countdown/tape so everyone can see for themselves how amazing the quality is. I only used a camera to upload this but despite that it still shows the amazing quality that's nothing short of a miracle! Their a genuine pleasure to watch as they make the songs come to life like never before. Just looking at the rage graphics you can see how crisp the vision is. I believe they were all recorded onto 4 hour chrome BASF tapes using a high end HI-FI VCR and it looks as if these tapes were never played again as they have no tears or technical issues which we all know VHS is prone too. See the link below and feel free to email me if you want to obtain some or all of these rare quality recordings of all end of year Rage Aria Countdowns between 1988 and 2005.

Cheers

Nathan

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ky9IKe-vsCY

(I'm unable to make the link clickable but please just copy and paste the link to access video as that works fine)

Nathan Sawford

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ky9IKe-vsCY

(I'm unable to make the link clickable but please just copy and paste the link to access video as that works fine)

Nathan, YouTube changed a couple of months back where, when you click on your video in the My Videos section of your channel (or whatever it's called, while logged in), the videos now take you to the editing page rather than straight to the video itself. Yet another google "improvement' where it now takes you 2 clicks to do something, when it used to only take one.

To embed URL's here, you just type [ url ] (web address) [ /url ] (minus the spaces either side of the square bracket) either side of the URL, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9IKe-vsCY

The link above should work.

edit - yes, it does.

Interesting to hear (I assume) your narration for each year - I was thinking of doing that with my recent 'Australian Music Report top 100 singles of 1988' video at the start, when I explain why there's no ARIA top 100 end of year chart for that year. But then I didn't like how my voice sounded on my recording attempts.

PS, do you intend to do a rage top 50 of 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, like mine, at some point? I'm happy for you to do this, if you want, given I have much less interest in the music from those years (alternatively, I could make them at some point if I get hold of your footage). A tip for compiling it if you do - normally you can put up to about 16 seconds of consecutive audio from a song before YouTube's copyright detection system will pick it up, if there are any issues with videos/audio being blocked, etc. It's why I only have 15 point something seconds of most of the clips in my top 50/60/100 annual chart videos, although the top 100 of 1989 one picked up Wet Wet Wet's 'Sweet Surrender' and the top 50 of 1981 one picked up Devo (where I feature three 15-second segments of videos for tracks on the Dev-O Live EP), still. But neither video is blocked, thankfully.

I actually have one or two videos I kept from the top 50 of 2005 chart, recorded on DVD Recorder with an analogue in signal.

I like the work presented so far and it has jogged long forgotten memories as well. I am curious as to how far back it is feasible to go in terms of years 1978 and before and the such like?

Cheers for that Nath, I've sent you a responce via email, cheers for that.

RJ TAYLER
I like the work presented so far and it has jogged long forgotten memories as well. I am curious as to how far back it is feasible to go in terms of years 1978 and before and the such like?

The Kent Music Reports commenced in May 1974 as Australia's national chart, and there were annual charts thereafter. The Kent Report end of year charts though were calculated using a points system, based on chart runs, than on actual sales. Although there would often be a good correlation between the two, sometimes this resulted in anomalies, like Bruce Springsteen's 'Dancing In the Dark' being the #1 single of 1984 (due largely to its long chart run) despite only peaking #5, beating things like Stevie Wonder's 'I Just Called To Say I Love You', which, from memory, spent 8 weeks at #1. It seems unlikely that Bruce would have actually outsold this, for example. This being said, the ARIA end of year charts (commencing in 1988) were sales-based, and Guns N' Roses' 'November Rain' was the #2 singles of 1992 despite peaking at #5 (but had a mammoth run in the top 10).

David Kent, who produced the Kent Music Report, later back-calculated charts to 1970, for his 1970-1992 book, and then all the way back to 1940, though the 1940s are monthly rather than weekly charts from memory. I don't consider these back-calculated charts to be 'official', as they were not published at the time, and I don't know what he based the data on.

Prior to the Kent Report, the Go-Set chart was Australia's official chart, and I think commenced in 1966 or thereabouts. I don't have any data for this chart, or even know whether they published an annual chart.

Someone has kindly posted the Kent Report top 100's for each year of the 1970s on a chart forum (I can give you the link if you like), so I could theoretically do a video for each year back to 1970. The trouble is though, the further back I go, often it becomes harder to source videos - official videos may not exist in that era, though I can use performances in their place - but it all depends on what is on YouTube, and (ideally) how good the quality is. I resort to using YouTube if I don't have a copy of the video, or if what's uploaded there (e.g. on a Vevo channel) is significantly better quality than I have.

I'm still doing videos for the lower half of the top 100 for each year of the 1980s, and may finish this (plus some more 90s years) before I go further back than 1979. I definitely want to do one for 1978 though, as it's my birth year

Top 100 singles of 1983 (100 to 51) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-X2KbJmwCQ

Top 100 singles of 1982 (100 to 51) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6FamUQbmU0

Hey Nathan, loving these! I do like the 100-51 tracks as there are one or two songs I hadn't heard of. I was thinking, me being an 80s compilation junkie, can you do a sippet of songs for some 80s compilations? I was thinking do one for 'Summer'88' (30 years ago to date these songs would have been in the charts) and 'Pump It Up'88?

Michael
Hey Nathan, loving these! I do like the 100-51 tracks as there are one or two songs I hadn't heard of. I was thinking, me being an 80s compilation junkie, can you do a sippet of songs for some 80s compilations? I was thinking do one for 'Summer'88' (30 years ago to date these songs would have been in the charts) and 'Pump It Up'88?

That's a great idea, Michael!

If I do such videos, I think I'll leave it though until I'm done with these chart countdown videos, unless I just do one or two.

I haven't linked them here, but I've done 100 to 51 (or 61 for the years rage aired a top 60) for 1990 to 1995 inclusive, too. I'm about half way through a 1996 one. My interest in chart music wanes after then... but I might still do a few later years at some point.

I'm also looking to do a 100 to 51 for 1981 soon.

I'm debating whether to do 1978, when I get to it, as separate top 50 and 100 to 51 videos, or do the whole top 100 video as one (which would then be about 29 minutes long ).

There are a few songs I didn't know either, compiling these. In general I think I like the 100 to 51 videos more, as they contain more forgotten gems and fewer overplayed tracks.

It's surprising to see a couple of 'big' hits missed these top 100 charts altogether, such as Simple Minds' 'Glittering Prize' (#9), INXS's 'Don't Change' (#14) and Hall & Oates' 'Maneater' (#4), whereas some peaking as low as #25 made the list! The Kent Music Report era annual charts though were based on chart runs, rather than actual sales. 'Glittering Prize' only spent 10 weeks in the top 40, which is low for a top 10 hit. 'Maneater' peaked in December - its success was split evenly between 1982 and 1983, but it didn't stick around long enough to make either year's end of year top 100. I'm sure if they were sales-based it would have. 'Don't Change' similarly peaked at the end of December/start of January and its chart run was split between two years.

It's also surprising to see a couple of 'classics', like 'Solid Rock' missed the top 50 (but was placed in the 50's for two consecutive years). 'Great Southern Land' being placed at #59 also seems a bit of a shock.

Yep, just do the two compilations for now and then keep us in suspense.

Michael
Yep, just do the two compilations for now and then keep us in suspense.

There will be some videos from the compilations that I don't have. I've had to resort to sourcing several videos from YouTube for my end of year chart videos; especially for the 1979 one I did.

edit - oops, I'm going to have to fix and re-upload it after spotting a mistake I made.

1981 top 100 (100 to 51) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITznft1K4wE

ohnoitisnathan
RJ TAYLER

The Kent Music Reports commenced in May 1974 as Australia's national chart, and there were annual charts thereafter. The Kent Report end of year charts though were calculated using a points system, based on chart runs, than on actual sales. Although there would often be a good correlation between the two, sometimes this resulted in anomalies, like Bruce Springsteen's 'Dancing In the Dark' being the #1 single of 1984 (due largely to its long chart run) despite only peaking #5, beating things like Stevie Wonder's 'I Just Called To Say I Love You', which, from memory, spent 8 weeks at #1. It seems unlikely that Bruce would have actually outsold this, for example. This being said, the ARIA end of year charts (commencing in 1988) were sales-based, and Guns N' Roses' 'November Rain' was the #2 singles of 1992 despite peaking at #5 (but had a mammoth run in the top 10).

David Kent, who produced the Kent Music Report, later back-calculated charts to 1970, for his 1970-1992 book, and then all the way back to 1940, though the 1940s are monthly rather than weekly charts from memory. I don't consider these back-calculated charts to be 'official', as they were not published at the time, and I don't know what he based the data on.

Prior to the Kent Report, the Go-Set chart was Australia's official chart, and I think commenced in 1966 or thereabouts. I don't have any data for this chart, or even know whether they published an annual chart.

Someone has kindly posted the Kent Report top 100's for each year of the 1970s on a chart forum (I can give you the link if you like), so I could theoretically do a video for each year back to 1970. The trouble is though, the further back I go, often it becomes harder to source videos - official videos may not exist in that era, though I can use performances in their place - but it all depends on what is on YouTube, and (ideally) how good the quality is. I resort to using YouTube if I don't have a copy of the video, or if what's uploaded there (e.g. on a Vevo channel) is significantly better quality than I have.

I'm still doing videos for the lower half of the top 100 for each year of the 1980s, and may finish this (plus some more 90s years) before I go further back than 1979. I definitely want to do one for 1978 though, as it's my birth year

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply to my earlier question. I apologize for my tardiness as my health has not been good these past couple of weeks. Your response was as usual from you a well thought out and informative one and I do appreciate that. I know from my birth week in 1970 TWO responses will usually feature as the #1 record one by Elvis and the other by another "E" Edwin Starr, depending on both the sales tabulation method chosen.

A factor as to chart position that I am thinking of is this: that chart volatility occurs like stock market share volatility during periods of high volumes, this might be the case of a single stuck at say #5 for a busy week in an atypical month of higher than usual sales; that also places it much higher in the overall chart calculations for the year, it could go some ways as to explain some oddities at the end of the year.

Once again thank you for your response to my enquiry.

RJ TAYLER

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply to my earlier question. I apologize for my tardiness as my health has not been good these past couple of weeks. Your response was as usual from you a well thought out and informative one and I do appreciate that.

You mean long-worded and windy

Hope your health is on the mend. I don't expect replies to posts here, so no need to apologise.

Gavin who posts the chart posts here informed me that rage did indeed air the full top 50 of 1988 chart, rather than just a top 40 as I and a few others here have sourced. However, it was also missing several videos, as on the top 40 copy we have, such as 'Get Outta My Dreams...' and 'Whenever You Need Somebody'. He used to have it on VHS.

Top 100 of 1980 (100 to 51) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFKhbMycx9s

Does anyone here know if Rage ever showed a Top 50 Countdown in 1987?

I've never heard of one and don't recall seeing one and would be interested to know if they ever showed it.

Anyone know?

Patrick
Does anyone here know if Rage ever showed a Top 50 Countdown in 1987?

I've never heard of one and don't recall seeing one and would be interested to know if they ever showed it.

Anyone know?

I can't say with certainty, because I wasn't really aware of rage until early 1988, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, rage didn't start airing the top 50 until January 1988... which would suggest to me that no top 50 of 1987 chart was aired.

And here's a video for the top 100 of 1979 (100 to 51) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYuQ6S7TOxs

A video for the Australian top 100 singles of 1978 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3hg0ewpxEg

I compiled a video for singles that peaked within the top 10 during the 80s, but missed the end of year top 100 charts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqQBgJSirr0 . Also included, towards the end, are singles peaking at #11 during the 80s that missed the end of year charts.

Nice and any update on doing some snippets of tracks from 80s compilations? starting with 'Summer '88?

Michael
Nice and any update on doing some snippets of tracks from 80s compilations? starting with 'Summer '88?
^ Oops, I had almost forgotten about that. It's not something I've given much thought to yet.

That's OK, just a gentle reminder!

Thank you, a favorite year of music for me, and pretty much the major start point of my collection as it is from here things get a whole lot of serious from now on.

This year also starts the rise of such shows as "Sounds" and "Countdown" as hit making powerhouses that we have come to know them as. As this is the first year their dual impact upon the 'performance on the show' and MAJOR and MEMORABLE 'hit record' is truly apparent, especially if the backing came from the "Countdown" direction.

^ Glad you like it. 1976 was 2 years before I was born, so I'm discovering some new (old) music through compiling these. Many of the 'videos' I've used are TV performances, but they're still interesting to see.

I re-did the audio for several (but not all) tracks that had mono or poor quality audio... which was somewhat of a challenge, given, for whatever reason, back then many of the videos (at least those I've sourced from rage) were playing at a different speed to the audio, requiring the audio to be sped up or slowed down to be in sync with the visuals. It's not just the '4%' speed difference thing that sometimes happens with PAL; the audio for these was up to + or - 5 point something% for a couple of tracks, and one I think was only a fraction (-0 point 8%) slower than the visual.

I will probably attempt a 1975 video at some point, but might give it a break for a while. This one took me nearly a week to put together.

Just watch your top 100 singles of 1976. Great work but just wonder where you find the Rock Me Gently clip from Sherbet. I never seen it before and can't find it in Youtube?

Scott
Just watch your top 100 singles of 1976. Great work but just wonder where you find the Rock Me Gently clip from Sherbet. I never seen it before and can't find it in Youtube?
Thanks, glad you like. I sourced that 'Rock Me Gently' clip from a Countdown episode; pretty sure one that aired in 2016. They didn't air the full clip though, so I couldn't use the chorus as I would otherwise have done.

The clip I have is 1:08 minutes long. I've got a snippet of John Paul Young hosting at the end, so it's from an episode he hosts (or at least presents part of). It doesn't look like it's the 100th episode, though, or one of the top 100 of 1976 episodes, as there is no number on the clip. I'm not sure why only a minute of the clip was shown... perhaps it was a Chartbuster, but there is no voice-over during it.

It would have been from one of the 70s episodes that sired in 2016 during the Michael Shrimpton tribute.

I plan to do a 1975 top 100 video at some point; I got a bit burnt out after making the 1976 one though, as it took the better part of a week!

Of course, since I've made this and other chart videos, rage have aired several clips I could have used for them (I wanted to use rage clips wherever possible; partly to help with keeping a consistent sound level), e.g. I could have used 'Blinded By the Light' (without watermark), 'A Matter of Trust' and 'Heartache All Over the World' from this morning. I've also since discovered I had 1 or 2 things I could have used but didn't know I had, like a John Paul Young Countdown performance for one of the clips there was no video for in the 1977 (I think) chart.

Thank you for your information. Hopefully someone will upload that Sherbet clip in full.

Scott - I don't know if it's the same performance/video used on Countdown, but I have a Sherbet greatest hits DVD.

It looks like it was a 'made for a TV show' video; but it's hard to distinguish back then what was a 'real' music video vs. what wasn't. Daryl messes his lip sync up at one point in this just-over-1-minute clip, so I assume it was all or mostly done in one take.

Brad
Scott - I don't know if it's the same performance/video used on Countdown, but I have a Sherbet greatest hits DVD.
It's Daryl sitting down next to a dog, wearing a shirt with red stripes on it.

ohnoitisnathan
Brad
It's Daryl sitting down next to a dog, wearing a shirt with red stripes on it.
Very different to the one on the DVD then. This has Daryl wearing a green open-shirt satin thing, and is a full band live performance with a studio audience.
If you or Scott or anyone else wants it or other clips from the DVD just let me know.

Brad
ohnoitisnathan
Brad
Scott - I don\'t know if it\'s the same performance/video used on Countdown, but I have a Sherbet greatest hits DVD.
It\'s Daryl sitting down next to a dog, wearing a shirt with red stripes on it.
Very different to the one on the DVD then. This has Daryl wearing a green open-shirt satin thing, and is a full band live performance with a studio audience.
If you or Scott or anyone else wants it or other clips from the DVD just let me know.
The 15 second snippet I've used in the top 100 of 1976 video starts at 11:10 minutes into the video, if you want to see it.

ohnoitisnathan
Brad
ohnoitisnathan
Brad
Scott - I don\\\'t know if it\\\'s the same performance/video used on Countdown, but I have a Sherbet greatest hits DVD.
It\\\'s Daryl sitting down next to a dog, wearing a shirt with red stripes on it.
The 15 second snippet I've used in the top 100 of 1976 video starts at 11:10 minutes into the video, if you want to see it.
Thanks. Very different performances.

Thank you Brad I have the sherbet DVD. My Dad is a sherbet fan and he said it is the original rock me gently clip. He is also a Mad Hush fan and if anyone has any original clips such as Glad all over, Too young to know , Nothing stay the same forever etc. would be really appreciate if you can upload on YouTube thank you.

I can upload the 1:08 clip of the video I have, though obviously it would be better to have the whole thing.

ohnoitisnathan
Please ignore this link. I removed this upload after spotting a couple of rage titles I forgot to include in it... I'll post the amended video link soon.

1 2 3