Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Classic Countdown to Screen from 6pm Sunday Nights from 17th September

To those that religiouslly check the electronic program guide, do we know if and when Sunday's Countdown will be repeated during the week?

Jason 'The Moderator"
I don't know why we keep getting these CD's from the ABC of Countdown!

The 4 CD c r a p is going to have the same generic tracks with no imagination what so ever compiled by some person at the ABC who's music knowledge is probably not so great. There have already been a few Countdown Double CD releases over the last 2 years and the same tracks will re appear: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Love Is In The Air, Dancing Queen, Horror Movie, I'm Bored e.t.c ... yawwwwwwwwn ....

I am sure many of the so called performances which have not been seen in 'decades' have been played on rage throughout January

Most m o r o n s probably have no idea rage have been playing Countdown episodes for decades now every January, probably not even the ABC. Seeing they say Performances that haven't been played in decades...

Agree with these points totally

I doubt this will impact on the forthcoming retro month, as the tribute to Michael Shrimpton last year didn't.

Jason 'The Moderator"
I also spoke to him about the great job rage are doing with the Vault specials on Mondays. He told me ABC only give them a short time and start very late but they use that time to play as many RARE videos as possible and told me it is a little hard sometimes as all the videos they get have to be sent to Sydney as all the Music Video archives are from Melbourne

Wow, that is interesting info. Good you passed on your feedback, too. I hope the Monday night Vault shows continue long into the future. They're the highlight of my week, when they're good

I always look ahead in the electronic TV guide (once it's up) to see how long the next episode runs for. Next week's is just over 2 hours, I'm pretty sure.

Maybe rage could play these remastered performances in their entirety one monday night in january

Michael
To those that religiouslly check the electronic program guide, do we know if and when Sunday's Countdown will be repeated during the week?

If they were to give us ''the full COUNTDOWN experience" then a repeat at the same time on the Saturday evening following. Alas I don't know what they have in store for us in 2017!

For some reason i thought it started tonight.

How do you go about getting the phone number for Rage

Michael

It looks like Classic Countdown will be repeated on Saturday mornings at 11:00 after rage on ABC1.

^ I noticed that too.

Ripped Off! I wonder why they cut short the Cyndi Lauper performance of 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' from tonight's 1984 episode????? It's one of the best studio performances.

Michael
Ripped Off! I wonder why they cut short the Cyndi Lauper performance of 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' from tonight's 1984 episode????? It's one of the best studio performances.
Michael, not having seen the Cyndi performance in some time, I gather it closed the show for the episode it was on... in which case it would have had Countdown's closing credits graphics over the top (unless they had the performance on a separate source tape, too). The same thing happened with Divine - a fade-out as soon as the closing credits started.

Funny how there've been no comments so far on the '85, '86, or '87 episodes. I have to say that the 1987 episode shown tonight (or rather, last night now) was BAD; featuring a bunch of 'pub rock' Australian bands that few people probably remember, if they were aware of their existence in the first place, alongside the overenthusiastic Countdown dancers, which just looked silly. Although I thought I liked 1987's music at the time, I now see that Countdown really wasn't that great during the year, as Jason has said.

I will make a comment 😀 The 1985 episode was much better than i thought it would be and i knew Kate would get the honour of narrating it. Fave years of what they put together was 1983 and 1985. Great to get Deb Conway narrating 1986. I just have to ask...who is Paul Stewart who narrated 1987? They should have got John Farnham to narrate it. Speaking of JF what a performance of 'You're The Voice'! at the end of 1986. Blows me away every time and of course it was lifted from the episode that i requested a few years and got played 😀 Back to 1987, what a way to go out with 'Don't Dream It's Over' by the Millanes, sorry, Crowded House. Always seemed like the part was over when they played to no audience. One of the Countdown dancers that really gave me the ****s was that blonde head mullet guy dancing in the background. He was on almost every episode and even on the '87 Countdown Awards mowing the lawn to The Mentals 'He's Just No Good For You'. Hope they repeat all the episodes again over the Xmas and New Year hols.

I had to google it the other day, but apparently Paul Stewart is out of Painters & Dockers.
Very, very poor choice of host. The 1986 episode was by far the least enjoyable, with the over-emphasis on audience members dancing almost ruining the performances, it all looks so amateur.

Far too much emphasis on obscure Aussie rock, it wasn't a true reflection of what was popular in 1987, but more of a "Triple J' bias that made it look like a very bad year.

The 1985 and 1986 episodes were good though, with Kate and Deborah fitting choices as hosts.

Hi all. Thought I'd share some Classic Countdown covers I made for DVD or Bluray. You can get them here: Google Drive - Countdown. Cheers, criscles.

Sorry all, the previous link was just to the BR cover. Here's the folder: Google Drive - Countdown Folder

criscles
Sorry all, the previous link was just to the BR cover. Here\\\\\\\'s the folder: Google Drive - Countdown Folder
Those look professional :ok_hand: