Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: COUNTDOWN FULL EPISODE REQUESTS FOR JANUARY 2018

If I remember correctly, there is a slab of 1986 episodes yet to be screened, so no doubt a few of those will crop up in coming years.

There are a slab of 1986 Countdown Episodes to be played which is why I included 3 episodes from 1986 for January 2018's request list. I figure that if rage have to get through a chunk of 1986 episodes that I may as well request some at least interesting quality episodes so they don't just chose any random 1986 junk.

Here's my Countdown requests for Rage 2018 Retro season and there were:
September 29 1981 Wendy Stapleton (Wendy & The Rocketts) (standby program)
January 3 1982 Molly (Summer Special #3 New Zealand Invasion)
January 10 1982 Molly (Summer Special #4 Export bands)
28-Sep-1986 and 04-Oct-1986 Episode 528
I've still and still been waiting for my requests to be on Rage in ages.

I have emailed rage today my Countdown suggestions with a note e.t.c...

I will be pleased to have any of them played, it is a long list of 17 episodes but it gives them options.

My suggestions are filled with Countdown Studio Performances and the more RARER side of video clips.

If I get at least 5 episodes played out of the 17 I will be very pleased, will see what happens

The good thing about emailing rage a longer list of Countdown's is that is they chose to play episodes from certain years like 1986 which they haven't played a lot of. At least I have suggested episodes that has more studio performances and RARE clips.

Same goes for all the other years. Instead of choosing random episodes that haven't been played with a majority of common videos, suggesting Episodes with more RARE clips and most of all lots of Studio Performances means better episodes in a short period of 4 Saturday nights.

There is nothing worse in January than rage choosing Countdown episodes with common Video Clips that are mainly in the Top 15 with 1 or no Studio Performances, seeing we only have such a limited time to get to see Countdown Episodes. Waiting another 12 months and getting more boring episodes of Countdown is not great. Luckily over the past years rage have played more interesting episodes thanks to requests from myself, Patrick, Armin e.t.c...

The ABC are not about to continue releasing The Wonder Years DVD's with Studio Performances so best to get as many episodes as possible showcasing Countdown rather than generic videos that are easy to obtain ...

I'm gradually sorting out which ones to suggest for next January.

It's hard trying to balance which ones would be best but that's correct about avoiding anything with common clips in it- something rare is the way to go.

But there'll be a few 82/83 episodes (unaired before of course) chosen so far and I'll email my suggestions later this month.

Hopefully Rage will avoid any Recovery stuff and certainly no full episodes of The Factory like they played one year (an edited version maybe).

I definitely do NOT want Rage to air common clips in between Countdowns, etc - just play shows back to back to maximize the allotted timeslot - it's only once a year this happens so I want them to make the most of it.

Ok, I have now emailed Rage and left the same message on their Facebook page re: my Countdown requests. None of these have aired on Rage. I haven't asked for any 80/81/86 episodes as I'll leave that to others - as always with me there are lots of 82/83 episodes....

11 July 82 - James Reyne
19 September 82 - Globos
22 May 83 - no host
26 June 83 - Greedy Smith
18 September 83 - James Reyne
4 December 83 - Ross Wilson
19 August 84 - David Reyne
2 March 85 - Marc Hunter
27 October 85 - Kids in the Kitchen
16 April 87 - Underground Disco.

As usual the 87 Underground Disco show is in there - hopefully after (I think) 5 or so years of asking Rage might play it? I don't normally like 87 episodes like most people but am curious to see what the Underground Disco looked like - sounds like a good show.

Here's hoping for LOTS of Countdown and a great January season in 2018.

Well done Armin, Jason, Patrick and the rest of you - I fully concur with all the episode choices. Let us hope many of these are aired as January aint too far away. It comes around quick now which is pleasing. Nearly time to awaken from my hibernation. Although I believe there was a segment of very rare 70s stuff shown on one of the Rage vault specials during the year. Must have missed that one.

Brett (2)
Well done Armin, Jason, Patrick and the rest of you - I fully concur with all the episode choices. Let us hope many of these are aired as January aint too far away. It comes around quick now which is pleasing. Nearly time to awaken from my hibernation. Although I believe there was a segment of very rare 70s stuff shown on one of the Rage vault specials during the year. Must have missed that one.

Yes, there was a 1978 Vault episode shown back in August:

8/8/17 1978

BOB SEGER & THE SILVER BULLET BAND Still The Same
NICOLETTE LARSON Lotta Love
BONNIE TYLER It's A Heartache
GRAHAM BONNET It's All Over Now Baby Blue
GERRY RAFFERTY Whatever's Written In Your Heart
MOODY BLUES, THE Had To Fall In Love
TODD RUNDGREN Can We Still Be Friends
PROMISES Baby It's You
HEART Crazy On You
PATTI SMITH Because The Night
CAT STEVENS (Remember The Days Of The) Old School Yard
WINGS With A Little Luck
GENESIS Follow You Follow Me
TOTO I'll Supply The Love
SWEET, THE Love Is Like Oxygen
BOB WELCH Ebony Eyes
ALICE COOPER (No More) Love At Your Convenience
DRAGON Still In Love With You
LITTLE RIVER BAND Reminiscing
MICHAEL NESMITH Rio
CAROLE BAYER SAGER You're Moving Out Today
ABBA Take A Chance On Me
MUSCLES Love Is All I've Got
BEE GEES, THE More Than A Woman
TRAMMPS, THE Disco Inferno
JOE TEX Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)
BONEY M Rivers Of Babylon
ERUPTION I Can't Stand The Rain
HOT CHOCOLATE Everyone's A Winner
CHAKA KHAN I'm Every Woman
CHIC Dance, Dance, Dance
EARTH, WIND AND FIRE Fantasy
GEORGE BENSON On Broadway
ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA Mister Blue Sky
FLASH and THE PAN Down Among The Dead Men
10CC Dreadlock Holiday
PETER TOSH and MICK JAGGER Don't Look Back

And there's another 70s special tonight, though with fewer not-aired-before-on-rage clips shown.

I post the Monday night Vault playlists in a dedicated thread each Monday - worth checking out to see if something of interest is showing.

I've emailed rage to show us The Factory episode with Bros and Transvision Vamp. Hopefully the consider it with the new Bros tour.

I've emailed rage to show us The Factory episode with Bros and Transvision Vamp. Hopefully they consider it with the new Bros tour.

Michael
I've emailed rage to show us The Factory episode with Bros and Transvision Vamp. Hopefully the consider it with the new Bros tour.

The Bros tour has been cancelled, if you haven't heard.

I'd like to see some more The Factory, too, but a full 3 hour show with many non-music segments is probably too much. Still, the 1989 episodes were only 2 hours long. They could do a Factory special, like they've done Recovery specials, on Saturday night.

Being a fan of late 80s/early 90s music, it's a shame that this era often gets overlooked by rage during retro month. I know some people want wall to wall Countdown, which I wouldn't have a problem with, but I'd often prefer some The Factory or Countdown Revolution to a Rock Arena episode with no acts I care for on it.

I did not know it was cancelled! Oh well, still a good episode though. Never was a Bros fan, but love 'I Owe You Nothing'. They were huge in '88 which is why I want to see this episode. I agree 3 hours is a bit long, but i don't think snippets woul cut it. Maybe a 3am start in Week 1? I too would love to see mmore stuff from '88 & '89. If only Countdown lasted until the end of the 80's.

Michael
Maybe a 3am start in Week 1?

They'll no doubt be locked into their 'must finish retro month/special/guest programmer segment by 5am' format, I suspect, unfortunately. So that's unlikely to happen.

I wish retro would run through until the end of the show like it used to.

Do we know for sure that Countdown is being repeated again in January?

Given the recent specials that were aired on Sunday Nights, and the fact that RAGE has being doing the January retro specials since 1993 now.

I think they might scale back to 1 or 2 episodes now, and put more Recovery etc into the playlists.

Retro Month is definitely back. My TV guide states:

rage Retro Month
11:52PM - 5:00AM
January is retro month on rage as we take our annual look back on the classic videos from the rage archive.

Not sure yet what they are going to show, but Countdown, as we know, is most popular amongst Rage watchers.

Jason 'The Moderator"
Armin's COUNTDOWN Episode requests: Post below copied and pasted from Armin *

The 4 main ones were:

March 16 1980 hosted by Steve Gilpin - One of the oldest surviving Countdown episode in broadcast quality that has never aired on Rage, not seen for 37 years with The Police live in the studio.

April 11 1982 (ep 323) hosted by Ross O'Donovan and Jo Kennedy from Starstruck. This episode was much anticipated when advertised last summer but unfortunately there is another Countdown episode also numbered 323 which was a Duran Duran Special (which had been shown before) which was played instead, presumably due to a mix up. It would be great if the Starstruck episode could be shown.

October 31 1982 - Advance Australia themed show full of Aussie live acts. This is one episode I often requested on the old forum. I think I first asked for this in about 2004 for the Australia Day weekend.

One episode that I suggested when Joe Cocker passed away but which I would like to see anyhow is October 19 1986 hosted by Angry Anderson and Cocker. The brilliant Jean Beauvoir performance of Feel The Heat, the debut of Noiseworks and a whole episode of clips that never get aired from Cutting Crew, Rose Tattoo, Icehouse, Jenny Morris, Do Re Mi, The Angels, Elton John, Joe Cocker and the Miami Vice man Don Johnson.

Others I wouldn't mind seeing:

June 28 1981 hosted by Daryl Cotton with 5 live acts in the studio.

January 3 1982 Summer Special - NZ Invasion. I know Nicholas has been asking for this episode for years as well.

December 4 1983 - hosted by Ross Wilson with some great clips by Mondo Rock, Dear Enemy, INXS, Little Heroes and Tim Finn. Computer One, Bon Voyage and Staring At The Embers clips have not aired on the ABC for over 30 years now - although being 1983 they are all likely to be Countdown produced clips and the Dear Enemy one did appear on the 1983 Christmas show but a different version was shown on October 16 so this may be a version not shown on Rage. Is that a good enough reason to show it? It's as good as any.

August 19 1984 hosted by David Reyne of ABC music show Sweet & Sour. Biggest cross promotion since Jesus but who cares.

February 17 1985 - hosted by Richard Bruce from Melbourne ska band No Nonense and Eric McCusker from Mondo Rock - 4 live acts and rare clips from Julian Lennon and Thompson Twins. Richard also hosted September 8 1985 - another episode not seen on Rage (where No Nonsense perform a lost classic in Simple Needs - I actually still have all 3 vinyl release versions, sad but true) and he was also a regular on Hey Hey panels for those that remember.

February 24 1985 or June 2 1985 hosted by Brian Mannix - I know Bwian is an acquired taste but I love his hosting which was always entertaining, which is no doubt why he hosted twice in one year....either that or he was cheap and available (don't answer that). 50 Years was the first song to knock We Are The World from No.1 in Melbourne after about 2 months (...at least that's how I remember it and I can't be bothered googling it to find out if it's true) and it is one of my favourite tracks from 1985. He asked where he was going to be in 50 years, well after 32 years he is struggling to get on to Rage.

April 28 1985 hosted by Ben who was chosen by Molly - if for no other reason than the rare Cats Under Pressure song Let Me Be which is an underrated classic Oz ballad. But if you do need another reason then Gang Gajang, Kids In The Kitchen and Pookah Makes Three should suffice.

1986, a most under represented year in the annals of Rage Countdown repeats, perhaps because the show was no longer at its peak. Probably best they start airing some of these before they have nothing left in the vaults apart from 1986.

August 10 1986 with I'm Taking, Geisha, Dragon and Venetians all live in the studio and rarer clips of Boom Crash Opera, Models, Spandau Ballet and Jean Beauvior.

September 7 1986 - 5 studio performances by Wa Wa Nee, Barry Michael, Geisha, Pseudo Echo and Boom Crash Opera. If that doesn't grab you then clips that never see the light of day by Queen, Peter Cetera (of Chicago), Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oates), Robert Palmer and Euro Disco queen Sinitta should be enough to help this over the line. Can't remember if they had a clip for Sinitta or Countdown Dancers but I did record it to cassette and the evidence still exists....or did I get that off the Australian Top 40 radio show on Fox FM on a Saturday night. Can't remember, obviously 31 years is too long ago so time to show it again.

March 30 1986 - another episode that Mr Mannix hosted that has not been aired. Rare clips from The Black Sorrows and FX, Chris Isaak's debut single Dancin' and few others that sound so 1986 due to the fact they haven't been heard since.

Heading into 1987 there are some decent offerings, never shown on Rage, still available:
March 1 1987 hosted by Dave Stewart has a great Aussie track by The Pony. Spy v Spy with Sallie-Anne (story of murder victim Sallie-Anne Huckstepp) and some clips from Kissing The Pink, The D.amned and Heaven 17 that I cannot recall....were they any good? Maybe not but we will never know if we don't see them (OK, we could check YouTube but where's the fun in that).

March 29 1987 hosted by Mondo Rock who appear live along with Chantoozies and clips from Aussie acts Jenny Morris, Colin James Hay and Talk That Walk which included ex-Pseudo Echo keyboardist Tony Lugton.

I've listed that many that even if they pay no attention to my email, law of averages says something from there might make it as they do aim to play non repeated episodes.
As Brett(2) has said, time to come out of hibernation.

I didn't put in any requests this year as I wasn't sure that anyone at Rage was still reading the emails.

Just found my requests list from last year and they are playing 2 episodes I had wanted, I wonder if they kept a list on file or whether process of elimination meant that they had to play it sooner or later.

One was June 28 1981 with Daryl Cotton as there were 5 bands live in the studio. The other one was the NZ Invasion which I requested as Nicholas has been asking for that one for 10 years without success.

6 episodes that have not aired on Rage before, great start to the new year.

I think rage do keep their requests/suggestions list forever, as e.g. there were quite a few videos I'd suggested years earlier that were shown on the 2016 Saturday night Vault special. I also remember the moderator of the website forum saying once that you don't need to request things multiple times, as they keep a list.

As for email responses, don't expect them. But I think all the emails still get read, e.g. when I emailed them about the overscan lines issue in 2017, it was fixed for the next episode of rage that aired (it had been happening for months at that point), but I never received a reply.