Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Classic Countdown to Screen from 6pm Sunday Nights from 17th September

I wonder if Kate Ceberano will narrate the 1985 episode? That was really I'm Talking's year. The Crowdies narrate 1987? Wonder if Shazbot will narrate 1983 or Tim Finn? Which reminds me i don't recall Tim doing any Countdown studio performaces in 1983. We only got him hosting and his video clips. I really hope the researchers get it right and don't show performances from the wrong year. ie songs that were hits in a particular year, but released and performed the previous year....and as much as i like Jimmy Barnes, i hope he doesn't narrate an episode.

Maybe they unearthed some other treasures while they eere going through the archives

Jason 'The Moderator"
I don't know why we keep getting these CD's from the ABC of Countdown!

The 4 CD c r a p is going to have the same generic tracks with no imagination what so ever compiled by some person at the ABC who's music knowledge is probably not so great. There have already been a few Countdown Double CD releases over the last 2 years and the same tracks will re appear: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Love Is In The Air, Dancing Queen, Horror Movie, I'm Bored e.t.c ... yawwwwwwwwn ....

I am sure many of the so called performances which have not been seen in 'decades' have been played on rage throughout January

Most m o r o n s probably have no idea rage have been playing Countdown episodes for decades now every January, probably not even the ABC. Seeing they say Performances that haven't been played in decades...

Agree with these points totally

I doubt this will impact on the forthcoming retro month, as the tribute to Michael Shrimpton last year didn't.

Jason 'The Moderator"
I also spoke to him about the great job rage are doing with the Vault specials on Mondays. He told me ABC only give them a short time and start very late but they use that time to play as many RARE videos as possible and told me it is a little hard sometimes as all the videos they get have to be sent to Sydney as all the Music Video archives are from Melbourne

Wow, that is interesting info. Good you passed on your feedback, too. I hope the Monday night Vault shows continue long into the future. They're the highlight of my week, when they're good

I always look ahead in the electronic TV guide (once it's up) to see how long the next episode runs for. Next week's is just over 2 hours, I'm pretty sure.

Jason 'The Moderator"

I still want the 1982 episode played that was supposed to be played with Jo Kennedy and co hosting, instead we got the Duran Duran one. I hope that episode gets played

That was one of my suggestions, I would like to see the Starstruck episode as well. I did say if they were to consider it then please check which episode 323 they pull out of the archives.

I did give a rather large list of 4 main episodes and a bunch of others and I would be happy if any one of them happens to make it:

The 4 main ones were:

March 16 1980 hosted by Steve Gilpin - One of the oldest surviving Countdown episode in broadcast quality that has never aired on Rage, not seen for 37 years with The Police live in the studio.

April 11 1982 (ep 323) hosted by Ross O'Donovan and Jo Kennedy from Starstruck. This episode was much anticipated when advertised last summer but unfortunately there is another Countdown episode also numbered 323 which was a Duran Duran Special (which had been shown before) which was played instead, presumably due to a mix up. It would be great if the Starstruck episode could be shown.

October 31 1982 - Advance Australia themed show full of Aussie live acts. This is one episode I often requested on the old forum. I think I first asked for this in about 2004 for the Australia Day weekend.

One episode that I suggested when Joe Cocker passed away but which I would like to see anyhow is October 19 1986 hosted by Angry Anderson and Cocker. The brilliant Jean Beauvoir performance of Feel The Heat, the debut of Noiseworks and a whole episode of clips that never get aired from Cutting Crew, Rose Tattoo, Icehouse, Jenny Morris, Do Re Mi, The Angels, Elton John, Joe Cocker and the Miami Vice man Don Johnson.

Others I wouldn't mind seeing:

June 28 1981 hosted by Daryl Cotton with 5 live acts in the studio.

January 3 1982 Summer Special - NZ Invasion. I know Nicholas has been asking for this episode for years as well.

December 4 1983 - hosted by Ross Wilson with some great clips by Mondo Rock, Dear Enemy, INXS, Little Heroes and Tim Finn. Computer One, Bon Voyage and Staring At The Embers clips have not aired on the ABC for over 30 years now - although being 1983 they are all likely to be Countdown produced clips and the Dear Enemy one did appear on the 1983 Christmas show but a different version was shown on October 16 so this may be a version not shown on Rage. Is that a good enough reason to show it? It's as good as any.

August 19 1984 hosted by David Reyne of ABC music show Sweet & Sour. Biggest cross promotion since Jesus but who cares.

February 17 1985 - hosted by Richard Bruce from Melbourne ska band No Nonense and Eric McCusker from Mondo Rock - 4 live acts and rare clips from Julian Lennon and Thompson Twins. Richard also hosted September 8 1985 - another episode not seen on Rage (where No Nonsense perform a lost classic in Simple Needs - I actually still have all 3 vinyl release versions, sad but true) and he was also a regular on Hey Hey panels for those that remember.

February 24 1985 or June 2 1985 hosted by Brian Mannix - I know Bwian is an acquired taste but I love his hosting which was always entertaining, which is no doubt why he hosted twice in one year....either that or he was cheap and available (don't answer that). 50 Years was the first song to knock We Are The World from No.1 in Melbourne after about 2 months (...at least that's how I remember it and I can't be bothered googling it to find out if it's true) and it is one of my favourite tracks from 1985. He asked where he was going to be in 50 years, well after 32 years he is struggling to get on to Rage.

April 28 1985 hosted by Ben who was chosen by Molly - if for no other reason than the rare Cats Under Pressure song Let Me Be which is an underrated classic Oz ballad. But if you do need another reason then Gang Gajang, Kids In The Kitchen and Pookah Makes Three should suffice.

1986, a most under represented year in the annals of Rage Countdown repeats, perhaps because the show was no longer at its peak. Probably best they start airing some of these before they have nothing left in the vaults apart from 1986.

August 10 1986 with I'm Taking, Geisha, Dragon and Venetians all live in the studio and rarer clips of Boom Crash Opera, Models, Spandau Ballet and Jean Beauvior.

September 7 1986 - 5 studio performances by Wa Wa Nee, Barry Michael, Geisha, Pseudo Echo and Boom Crash Opera. If that doesn't grab you then clips that never see the light of day by Queen, Peter Cetera (of Chicago), Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oates), Robert Palmer and Euro Disco queen Sinitta should be enough to help this over the line. Can't remember if they had a clip for Sinitta or Countdown Dancers but I did record it to cassette and the evidence still exists....or did I get that off the Australian Top 40 radio show on Fox FM on a Saturday night. Can't remember, obviously 31 years is too long ago so time to show it again.

March 30 1986 - another episode that Mr Mannix hosted that has not been aired. Rare clips from The Black Sorrows and FX, Chris Isaak's debut single Dancin' and few others that sound so 1986 due to the fact they haven't been heard since.

Heading into 1987 there are some decent offerings, never shown on Rage, still available:
March 1 1987 hosted by Dave Stewart has a great Aussie track by The Pony. Spy v Spy with Sallie-Anne (story of murder victim Sallie-Anne Huckstepp) and some clips from Kissing The Pink, The D.amned and Heaven 17 that I cannot recall....were they any good? Maybe not but we will never know if we don't see them (OK, we could check YouTube but where's the fun in that).

March 29 1987 hosted by Mondo Rock who appear live along with Chantoozies and clips from Aussie acts Jenny Morris, Colin James Hay and Talk That Walk which included ex-Pseudo Echo keyboardist Tony Lugton.

I've listed that many that even if they pay no attention to my email, law of averages says something from there might make it as they do aim to play non repeated episodes.

Maybe rage could play these remastered performances in their entirety one monday night in january

The March 16 1980 with The Police is one episode i also want, it is ridiculous that it hasn't been played.

I just read your list of Countdown requests, there are some gems there and there are some there I think I have requested over the years as well, specifically the episode with the Countdown performance of Jean Beauvoir - Feel The Heat.

There are a few more 1980 episodes I want to see which are on my list. Will have to get my list out again as rage didn't pay much attention to my Countdown suggestions this year ...

Kate Ceberano will be one of the narrators along with JPY,Richard Clapton and Steve Kilbey

At Armin, between your requests and my requests for Countdown Episodes for January, 2018 there is a high quality bunch there ... Here is the list I will be emailing rage for January, 2018.

COUNTDOWN: Date: 16/03/1980
Show no: 231
Summary: GUEST PRESENTER IS STEVE GILPIN FROM MI –SEX.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
MI-SEX – PEOPLE
RADIO ACTIVE – TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT
THE POLICE – WALKING ON THE MOON
DARRYL COTTON – SAME OLD GIRL
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
CLASH – LONDON CALLING
GODLEY & CRÈME – AN ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK
PEARL HARBOUR & THE EXPLOSIONS – DRIVIN
MICHAEL JACKSON – ROCK WITH YOU

COUNTDOWN: Date:17/08/1980
Show no: 253
Summary:CHERRY RIPE INTERVIEWS JAMES FREUD IN LONDON AND DJ'S FROM 6PM,5AD,7HT,3XY,4BC AND 2WS HOST THE SHOW AS A LEAD UP TO THE XANADU DANCING CONTEST.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
VAPORS 'TURNING JAPANESE','WAITING FOR THE WEEKEND'
JO JO ZEP & THE FALCONS 'PUPPET ON A STRING'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'COME AROUND'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS FROM:
ROLLING STONES, JONA LEWIE, KATE BUSH,
ROCKY BURNETTE, GRAHAM PARKER 'STUPEFACTION'

HUMDRUM ITEMS:
XANADU 'DANCIN'
CURE 'THE FOREST'
DEVO 'FREEDOM OF CHOICE'
MI-SEX 'IT ONLY HURTS WHEN I'M LAUGHING'

COUNTDOWN: Date:22/06/1980
Show no: 245
Summary:SHOW IS HOSTED BY JAMES REYNE AND INCLS REGULAR SEGMENTS, CHARTBUSTERS AND HUMDRUM MUSIC NEWS, DURING WHICH MOLLY IV'S JANIS IAN RE HER SONGWRITING, GRAMMYS AND WORKING WITH GIORGIO MORODER.
STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'DOWNHEARTED'
CHRIS PELCER 'YOU CAN BE MY SLAVE'
JOHN FARNHAM 'HELP'
JANIS IAN 'FLY TOO HIGH'
JANIS IAN 'THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SUN'
VIDEO CLIPS FROM:
THE ROMANTICS, JUDIE TZUKE, SPARKS,
BROTHERS JOHNSON, THE VETERANS,
CHRISTOPHER, GARY NUMAN

COUNTDOWN: Date:23/08/1981
Show no: 298
Summary:GUEST PRESENTER IS PAUL NORTHAM,LEAD SINGER FROM MEO245.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
TOYSHOW 'THEN I KISSED HIM'
GILLIAN EASTOE 'ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART'
SERIOUS YOUNG INSECTS 'TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING WORDS'
SWANEE 'IF I WERE A CARPENTER'
MEO245 'OTHER PLACES'

OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS FROM:
TOYAH, RAINBOW, PHD, QUICK,KIM CARNES,
KIM WILDE, DEVO

COUNTDOWN: Date – 11/04/1982
Episode:323
Summary: HOSTED BUY JO KENNEDY & ROSS O’DONOVAN ANS IS THE WEEK LEADING UP TO THE ROCK AWARDS. MOLLY INTERVIEWS JOAN ARMITRADING AND MEMBERS OF THE HUMAN LEAGUE

VIDEO CLIPS:
BLUE RONDO A LA TURK – ME & MR SANCHEZ
ROSS O’DONOVAN – I WANT TO LIVE IN A HOUSE
CHILLIWACK – GONE GONE GONE
DIVINYLS – ONLY LONELY
WENDY & THE ROCKETS – YOUR PLACE OR MINE
SHARON O’NEAL – ALL THE TEA IN CHINA
RICHARD CLAPTON – STRANGE

COUNTDOWN FRIDAY
Friday 13th August, 1982
MADNESS – HOUSE OF FUN
THE HONEYMOON – BREAK YOUR HEART
DADDY COOL – EAGJUICE NEWTON – LOVE’S BEEN A BIT HARD ON ME
ASIA – ONLY TIME WILL TELL
DONNA SUMMER – LOVE IS IN CONTROL
GREG KIHN BAND – HAPPY MAN
THE GLOBOS – TINTARELLA DI LUNA
THE DUGITES – NO MONEY
THE QUICK – THE RHYTHM OF THE JUNGLE
THE LITTLE HEROES – YOUNG HEARTS
PATRICE RUSHEN – FORGET ME NOTS
HAIRCUT 100 – FANTASTIC DAY

COUNTDOWN: Date:22/05/1983 Show no: 371
Summary:THIS EDITION OF COUNTDOWN FEATURED NO HOST OR STUDIO PERFORMANCES AND HUMDRUM WAS TAPED AT THE MIGHTY MUSIC MACHINE SHOP WHERE MOLLY IV'D OWNER RE HOW ALTERNATIVE, DANCE AND DISCO CHARTS ARE COMPILED. SHOW ENDED WITH MICHAEL JACKSON'S 'BEAT IT' VIDEO.
VIDEO CLIPS:
VENETIANS 'SOUND ON SOUND AND CLIPS FROM REAL LIFE, PRINCE, TEARS FOR FEARS, ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN, THOMAS DOLBY, SPANDAU BALLET AND MORE

COUNTDOWN: Date:14/10/1984
Show no: 438
Summary:Summary: THIS SHOW IS HOSTED BY COMEDY DUO LOS TRIOS RINGBARKUS WHO ARE PERFORMING SKETCHES BETWEEN CLIPS. MOLLY AND MEATLOAF PRESENTING HUMDRUM VIA SATELLITE FROM LONDON.
LIVE STUDIO PERFORMANCE:
EUROGLIDERS - MAYBE ONLY I DREAM
VIDEO CLIPS:
KAM SHA 'HE WILL SLEEP PLUS TINA TURNER, COREY HART
MADONNA, MODELS, BRONSKI BEAT, CULTURE CLUB, LOS TRIOS AND MORE

COUNTDOWN: Date: 19/08/1984
Show no: 430
Summary: THIS SHOW WAS HOSTED BY DAVID REYNE
LOCAL ARTISTS:
THE TAKEAWAY’S - SWEET & SOUR
LE CLUB FOOTE – WARNING
VERTICAL HOLD – USA
NXS – BURN FOR YOU
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
GUY DELANDRO - DRIVING ME WILD
BERLIN – NO MORE WORDS AND MORE …

COUNTDOWN: Date: 27/10/1985
Show no: 485
Summary: THIS SHOW IS HOSTED BY MEMBERS FROM KIDS IN THE KITCHEN AND PRESENTS FTG OF MICHAEL JACKSON IN PERTH. MOLLY IV SCOTT FROM KIDS IN THE KITCHEN RE ALBUM.;
LIVE STUDIO PERFORMANCES:;
PSEUDO ECHO 'DON'T GO';
KIDS IN THE KITCHEN 'NOT THE WAY';
JOHN SWAN & BAND 'SAY YOU'LL DO SOMETHING';
VIDEO CLIPS FROM:
MARK EDWARDS, THE CURE, KATE BUSH, ICEHOUSE, RED BOX, SIMPLE MINDS AND MORE ...

COUNTDOWN: Date: 10/02/1985
Show no; 449

HOSTED BY KATE CEBERANO AND IAN COX

FEATURING:
I’M TALKING – TRUST ME
CULTURE CLUB – MISTAKE NO.3
COREY HART – IT AIN’T ENOUGH
NIK KERSHAW – THE RIDDLE
TEARS FOR FEARS =- SHOUT AND MORE …

COUNTDOWN: Date: 21/07/1985
Show no: 471

DAVE AND BRAD FROM HOODOO GURUS ARE THE HOSTS OF THIS SHOW.

LIVE STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
SCRITTI POLITTI – THE WORD GIRL (PRE RECORDED)
DO RE MI – MAN OVERBOARD (PRE RECORDED)

VIDEO CLIPS:

YELLO – VICIOUS GAMES
STEPHEN DUFFY – ICING ON THE CAKE
STING – IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY (SET THEM FREE)
TINA TURNER – WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (IV RE SINGLE AND VIDEO CLIP) AND MORE …

COUNTDOWN
Date: 10/08/1986
I’M TALKING – HOLY WORD
GEISHA – PART TIME LOVE AFFAIR
VENETIANS – IF SOMEBODY LOVE’S YOU
DRAGON – DREAMS OF ORDINARY MEN
VIDEO CLIPS:
JEAN BEAUVOIR – FEEL THE HEAT
SPANDAU BALLET – FIGHT FOR OURSELVES
BOOM CRASH OPERA – HANDS UP IN THE AIR
BANANARAMA – VENUS
MODELS – EVOLUTION

COUNTDOWN:
Date: 09/01/1986 …. Show no: 3

THIS SHOW IS HOSTED BY MOLLY MELDRUM:
LOCALS ARTISTS:
KOO DE TAH – BODY TALK
MODELS – KING OF KINGS
MARK EDWARDS – WORLDS AWAY
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
MATT BIANCO – YEH YEH
PLATINUM BLONDE – CRYING OVER YOU
NENA – IT’S ALL IN THE GAME
YIL TUESDAY – LOVE IN A VACUUM
ARCADIA – ELECTION DAY
THOMPSON TWINS – KING FOR A DAY
THE CURE – CLOSE TO ME
MICK JAGGER – HARD WOMAN
FERGAL SHARKEY – A GOOD HEART IS HARD TO FIND

COUNTDOWN:
Date:09/11/1986
Show:534

MOLLY IV’S DAVID SYLVIAN, EX JAPAN RE SOLO ALBUM, POSSIBLE TOUR AND FUTURE PROJECTS INTERCUT WITH CLIP FOR ‘SILVER MOON’

PRE RECORDED STUDIO PERFORMANCE;
ICEHOUSE – CROSS THE BORDER

VIDEO CLIPS:
DEAD OR ALIVE – BRAND NEW LOVER
JOAN JETT – GOOD MUSIC
JANET JACKSON – WHEN I THINK OF YOU (INTRODUCED BY JANET JACKSON)
DURAN DURAN – NOTORIOUS
POLICE – DON’T STAND SO CLOSE AND MORE …

COUNTDOWN: Date – 28/06/1987
SHOE HOSTED BY DAVE DOBYN

THAT’S THAT – GIVE ME RHYTHM
BOOM CRASH OPERA – CITY FLAT
PAINTERS & DOCKERS – NUDE SCHOOL
DAVE DOOBYN – YOU OUGHTA BE IN LOVE

VIDEO CLIPS:
THE BIG SUPREME – PLEASE YOURSELF
JIM KEAYS – UNDECIDED
DAVID BOWIE – TIME WILL CRAWL
CAROL HBITCHCOCK – GET READY
THE CURE – WHY CAN’T I BE YOU
GO WEST – I WANT TO HEAR IT FROM YOU
BILLY IDOL – SWEET SIXTEEN

Hopefully some of our suggestions get to see the light of day Jason. There are still a lot of good episodes that have yet to be screened by Rage.

I had one episode played for me this year from 1982 with Jo Kennedy in the studio performing Body & Soul so if I can get at least 4 of my show requests and hope you get a good bunch of your splayed as well.

I also want this episode for Craze with Motions

COUNTDOWN: Date: 04/05/1980
Show 238:
JON ENGLISH HOSTS THE SHOW.

LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
SHARON O’NEAL – WORDS
JAMES FREUD & THE RADIO STARS – MODERN GIRL
SINCLAIR BROTHERS – IT MUST BE AUTUMN
JON ENGLISH – CARMILLA
TOMMY SHAW – BOAT ON THE RIVER

CRAZE – MOTIONS
GARY NUMAN – ON BROADWAY
GODLEY & CRÈME – AN ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK AND MORE….

All great suggestions.

I would also like to see this one, mainly for Sharon O'Neill and The Dugites.

07/09/1980
Show no: 256
THIS WEEK FEATURES AN INTERVIEW WITH THE TOURISTS. HOST LINKS ARE DONE BY THE LEAD SINGERS
OF EACH BAND PERFORMING LIVE.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
MI-SEX 'IT ONLY HURTS WHEN I'M LAUGHING'
HEROES 'BABY'S HAD A TASTE'
SHARON O'NEIL 'HOW DO YOU TALK TO BOYS'
BOYS 'WHEN YOU'RE LONELY'
DUGITES 'GOODBYE'
MOTELS 'DANGER'
MARTHA & THE MUFFINS 'ECHO BEACH'
TOURISTS 'I ONLY WANNA BE WITH YOU'
DAVID BOWIE 'ASHES TO ASHES'
CARS 'TOUCH AND GO'
CHARTBUSTERS:
OL'55 'TWO FACES HAVE I'
JAMES FREUD 'MODERN GIRL'
MANHATTAN TRANSFER 'TWILIGHT ZONE'
ERIC CARMEN 'IT HURTS TOO MUCH'
ROCKY BURNETTE 'FALLIN' IN LOVE'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
PHIL LYNOTT 'KINGS CALL'
GEORGE BENSON 'GIVE ME THE NIGHT'
DADDY COOL 'EAGLE ROCK'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'DOWNHEARTED'
KISS 'SHANDI'
ROCKY BURNETTE 'FALLIN' IN LOVE'
ROLLING STONES 'EMOTIONAL RESCUE'
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN/ELO 'XANADU'
VILLAGE PEOPLE 'CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC'
ROMANTICS 'WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU'
GENGHIS KHAN 'MOSCOW'

Great episode Brad!

Unfortunately, it would not surprise me at all if they crop the Countdown performances shown as part of these specials so that they appear widescreen; in fact, I'm expecting that they will do this.

I saw the One Plus One interview with Marcia Hines last night, and any Countdown footage they showed of her during it was cropped/zoomed in on so that it appeared widescreen.

In some respects I wish they filmed the show as [ironically] this would pose less of a problem with High Definition and upscalling, than video sourced programmes.

To those that religiouslly check the electronic program guide, do we know if and when Sunday's Countdown will be repeated during the week?

Michael
To those that religiouslly check the electronic program guide, do we know if and when Sunday's Countdown will be repeated during the week?

If they were to give us ''the full COUNTDOWN experience" then a repeat at the same time on the Saturday evening following. Alas I don't know what they have in store for us in 2017!

For some reason i thought it started tonight.

How do you go about getting the phone number for Rage

Michael

It looks like Classic Countdown will be repeated on Saturday mornings at 11:00 after rage on ABC1.

^ I noticed that too.

Ripped Off! I wonder why they cut short the Cyndi Lauper performance of 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' from tonight's 1984 episode????? It's one of the best studio performances.

Michael
Ripped Off! I wonder why they cut short the Cyndi Lauper performance of 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' from tonight's 1984 episode????? It's one of the best studio performances.
Michael, not having seen the Cyndi performance in some time, I gather it closed the show for the episode it was on... in which case it would have had Countdown's closing credits graphics over the top (unless they had the performance on a separate source tape, too). The same thing happened with Divine - a fade-out as soon as the closing credits started.

Funny how there've been no comments so far on the '85, '86, or '87 episodes. I have to say that the 1987 episode shown tonight (or rather, last night now) was BAD; featuring a bunch of 'pub rock' Australian bands that few people probably remember, if they were aware of their existence in the first place, alongside the overenthusiastic Countdown dancers, which just looked silly. Although I thought I liked 1987's music at the time, I now see that Countdown really wasn't that great during the year, as Jason has said.

I will make a comment 😀 The 1985 episode was much better than i thought it would be and i knew Kate would get the honour of narrating it. Fave years of what they put together was 1983 and 1985. Great to get Deb Conway narrating 1986. I just have to ask...who is Paul Stewart who narrated 1987? They should have got John Farnham to narrate it. Speaking of JF what a performance of 'You're The Voice'! at the end of 1986. Blows me away every time and of course it was lifted from the episode that i requested a few years and got played 😀 Back to 1987, what a way to go out with 'Don't Dream It's Over' by the Millanes, sorry, Crowded House. Always seemed like the part was over when they played to no audience. One of the Countdown dancers that really gave me the ****s was that blonde head mullet guy dancing in the background. He was on almost every episode and even on the '87 Countdown Awards mowing the lawn to The Mentals 'He's Just No Good For You'. Hope they repeat all the episodes again over the Xmas and New Year hols.

I had to google it the other day, but apparently Paul Stewart is out of Painters & Dockers.
Very, very poor choice of host. The 1986 episode was by far the least enjoyable, with the over-emphasis on audience members dancing almost ruining the performances, it all looks so amateur.

Far too much emphasis on obscure Aussie rock, it wasn't a true reflection of what was popular in 1987, but more of a "Triple J' bias that made it look like a very bad year.

The 1985 and 1986 episodes were good though, with Kate and Deborah fitting choices as hosts.

Hi all. Thought I'd share some Classic Countdown covers I made for DVD or Bluray. You can get them here: Google Drive - Countdown. Cheers, criscles.

Sorry all, the previous link was just to the BR cover. Here's the folder: Google Drive - Countdown Folder

criscles
Sorry all, the previous link was just to the BR cover. Here\\\\\\\'s the folder: Google Drive - Countdown Folder
Those look professional :ok_hand: