Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does anyone know which 90s Australian TV show this performance is from?

Brad
There was also "Loud" on ABC at least until 1994. I was getting the ARIA report at the time but it wouldn't arrive until the following Monday, so I'd tune in to the Thursday show for the new top ten. I recall 'Pray' by Take That and 'I Believe' by Marcella Detroit being amongst the songs entering the top ten.

I don't remember this show at all; so I probably wasn't aware of its existence.

Michael
There was also a Coca Cola Take 40 show in the latter half of 1991 on Channel 10, hosted by some chick. I recall her having long brown hair and looking like she had come off the set of E-Street. Anyways, it went for 30 mins around 4 or 4:30 weekdays or a few days a week. I recall seeing videos 'Wind Of Change', 'Promise Of A New Day', 'Pump It (Nice and Hard)' (Merv was a Nerd)😂, 'Higher Than Hope' (still can't find the video for that on YouTube! Nathan?), Oh Hell, just about every song from '100% Hits', '100% Hits Vol.2', 'Take 40 Australia' and 'Hits 4 U '92. 😃.

That was 'Power Cuts', which originally aired on a Sunday afternoon, I think as 2 hour show. Then from around August-September 1991 (I should be able to work out the exact month if you really want to know As new release videos aired are listed in the weekly ARIA Reports from back then), it switched to the half hour weekday show as you mention.

I've actually got a small amount of footage of the host you mention, Penne Dennison, that I've uploaded here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak5fF1nqlAU

If I remember correctly, the show ended at the end of '91 without any announcement that it was doing so.

I know Daryl Braithwaite has a Vevo account; presumably they haven't uploaded 'Higher Than Hope', or it's not available in Australia, or they've blocked it for some reason. I could try uploading it, but presumably it would be blocked. Could put it on Vimeo though. I thought I remember seeing it linked on Gavin's blog last year though?

It seems it was very short-lived indeed. I found this on wikipedia under "1994 in television"

11 April – Michael Tunn, the host of the ABC's Afternoon Show returns with a brand new music series called Loud as a replacement for the weekday afternoon magazine show that was axed in late 1993. The show includes music videos as well as reviews on movies and video games, feature stories on youth culture, musicians talking about their favourite music videos and on location interviews with bands and will be shown from Monday to Thursday at 5:30 pm.

16 June – Final episode of the Australian music series Loud airs on ABC.

I watched Power Cuts too. It's funny how certain songs/videos stick in your mind. All I really remember of it was that you could sometimes find out the chart position of a song in the top 100. 'Spending My Time' by Roxette and 'Martika's Kitchen' by Martika are the ones I remember seeing with a chart position before they entered the top 50.

I know not everyone had Foxtel, but from about 1996 onwards they had a chart show hosted by Donna Gubbay, which would also reveal lower top 100 positions from the forthcoming chart.

Michael, 'Higher Than Hope' is blocked on YouTube, but I've uploaded it to Vimeo here:

https://vimeo.com/223106962

Thanks guys for the info and vision 😉. Speaking of Daryl, they had a Take 40 competition back in 1991 when you had to reproduce the Take 40 image ie draw it freehand. I was one of the 50 winners who got the cassette of 'Rise'. I still have it to this day.

Oh yeah, and I liked watching Videot in 1992 hosted by Eden Gaha.

The only thing I ever won was in a Smash Hits competition, a Beverly Hills 90210 soundtrack and t-shirt. Which was probably cool at the time Or possibly not...

Michael
Thanks guys for the info and vision 😉. Speaking of Daryl, they had a Take 40 competition back in 1991 when you had to reproduce the Take 40 image ie draw it freehand. I was one of the 50 winners who got the cassette of 'Rise'. I still have it to this day.

I think I only entered one competition, a Garfield colouring competition for TV Week circa 1987, but didn't win.

Michael
Oh yeah, and I liked watching Videot in 1992 hosted by Eden Gaha.

I watched Vidiot between '92 and '94 (I don't think it was on after that).

Michael
'Pump It (Nice and Hard)' (Merv was a Nerd)😂

Adam from Chocolate Starfish hosted a short lived show in the 90s too

JASE
Adam from Chocolate Starfish hosted a short lived show in the 90s too

That would be Pepsi Rock-It (spelling might be wrong), which was on channel 9 or 10 (I think 9) in December 1995 and January 1996. It started (or at least I remember first watching it) during the period where rage weren't playing many new release videos, due to a dispute with the fee major record labels wanted for showing their videos. So I used to watch this show every week, as it would show new (mainly alternative) videos that rage hadn't yet aired. I kept a couple of clips I recorded from it, too. It's where I first saw things like Neneh Cherry's 'Trouble Man', Madonna's 'I Want You, Sinead O'Connor's 'All Apologies', Bjork's 'It's Oh So Quiet', PM Dawn's 'Downtown Venus', Smashing Pumpkins 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings', Elastica's 'Car Song', Blur's 'The Universal', and Skunk Anansie's 'I Can Dream'. I also recorded Supergrass's 'Alright' from it.

I remember that dispute. I so wanted to see Kate's new video for 'Change'. I always thought it would be a big hit, but come out at the wrong time.

Michael
I remember that dispute. I so wanted to see Kate's new video for 'Change'. I always thought it would be a big hit, but come out at the wrong time.

Actually, I'm pretty sure 'Change' was one of the few new 'major label' videos they aired; though it would have been released through Festival, and they aired other new distributed by Festival videos, like Deni Hines' 'It's Alright', Erasure's 'Fingers & Thumbs', Dreamworld's 'Movin' Up', and Strike's 'The Morning After (Free At Last)'; so Festival were presumably exempt from the boycott.

'Change' spent a solitary week in the top 100 at #100

I think you're right. Wasn't it the Top 50 that was on hold for a few months and they just aired random videos and new releases? I think now i recall seeing 'Change' and for some reason was hoping it was The Top 50 playing and it was in the charts.

I think you're right. Wasn't it the Top 50 that was on hold for a few months and they just aired random videos and new releases? I think now i recall seeing 'Change' and for some reason was hoping it was The Top 50 playing and it was in the charts.

Oops posted twice!

Michael

Yep, they used to just air random, mostly new-ish release, videos in place of the top 50 for those months. I remember it returned to normal for the first show of '96.

They also aired a bunch of MTV Unplugged performances on Saturday night during December '95, though I also remember seeing new release videos.