Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The 'retro videos those who don't regularly check the rage playlists might miss' thread

Michael
Yes, Climie Fischer too! Rage should do a night of extended mixes of videos...and what about last nights extended mix of 'Looking for a New Love'!!!!

rage aired an extended version of Jody Watley's 'Don't You Want Me' in 2012 too. Maybe they only have extended versions of her videos . I think I caught the 12" videos of 'Real Love' and 'Friends' on rage in 1989.

They aired the extended 'Deep In Vogue' as well, as they did for their Malcolm McLaren tribute in 2010, and a couple of weeks ago in their 'white room' Monday night Vault episode.

A night or Vault episode of extended mixes is a good idea.

Re: The 'retro videos those who don't regularly check the rage playlists might miss' thread

Jason 'The Moderator"

It seems only myself, Guru Bob, Nathan and a few others here are the ones who request anything remotely interesting on rage. The 'general viewers' choices are more than standard nothingness, what a seriously boring Playlist this Saturday night. I hope the rage specials coming up on Monday night etc, like the doco's are somewhat more interesting ...

I too found Glen Medeiros an interesting choice simply because I haven't seen it on rage since the OZ TOP 50.

What's interesting about rage showing Glenn Medeiros is that they had gotten rid of the video already by the end of 1988 (along with several other big chart hits that year), as it's missing from the top 50 of 1988 chart Countdown.

Yes, overall this weekend's playlists are rather boring.

Check Out The Chicken was my second choice in my selections, I couldn't believe it when I saw the video playlisted. I was bummed out though when my name didn't appear before the video, somebody else's did. What are the chances of that happening on a video like that, that hasn't been played in 25 years?, lol. I'd long forgotten about that song but a small part of it appeared on a show like Better Homes And Gardens a few months ago so my ears ******* up and I went straight to you tube and watched a dodgy copy.

21st Century Boy this sat nite. Woohoo.

JASE
21st Century Boy this sat nite. Woohoo.

Excellent!

Saturday night:

KOOL and THE GANG Fresh
MICHAEL PENN No Myth ()
THE OUTFIELD Your Love
SIGUE SIGUE SPUTNIK 21st Century Boy (aired in 2009 though)

It looks like the Saturday morning 'Vault' segment this week is Rihanna I thought she must have died or something.

ohnoitisnathan
Saturday night:

KOOL and THE GANG Fresh
MICHAEL PENN No Myth ()
THE OUTFIELD Your Love
SIGUE SIGUE SPUTNIK 21st Century Boy (aired in 2009 though)

It looks like the Saturday morning 'Vault' segment this week is Rihanna I thought she must have died or something.

The Outfield is a good one too.

Oddly enough, "Fresh' doesn't seem to have been released individually in Australia. It should have gone between 'Misled" (March 1985) and 'Cherish' (September 1985), but instead seems to have been bunched together with 'Misled' (possibly as a medley) as a b-side to 'Cherish'. Only "Cherish' got any videoplay at the time.

Brad

Oddly enough, "Fresh' doesn't seem to have been released individually in Australia. It should have gone between 'Misled" (March 1985) and 'Cherish' (September 1985), but instead seems to have been bunched together with 'Misled' (possibly as a medley) as a b-side to 'Cherish'. Only "Cherish' got any videoplay at the time.

I don't know the song, but hopefully it isn't a rage YouTube 'special'...

Saturday night:

ORCHESTRAL MANEUVERS IN THE DARK Souvenir
THE STRANGLERS Always The Sun (last aired 2004)

A special 3-video tribute to Robert Miles tonight, and 'Fable', one of his 2 local top 50 hits, isn't one of them...

Friday night:

12:00am

ROBERT MILES featuring KATHY SLEDGE Freedom (BMG)
ROBERT MILES One and One (BMG)
ROBERT MILES Children ()

ohnoitisnathan
A special 3-video tribute to Robert Miles tonight, and 'Fable', one of his 2 local top 50 hits, isn't one of them...

Friday night:

ROBERT MILES featuring KATHY SLEDGE Freedom (BMG)
ROBERT MILES One and One (BMG)
ROBERT MILES Children ()

It's odd that they've found 'Freedom', which was never played at the time, but not 'Fable', which was.

The rest of the playlists look extremely dreary and alternative, with only a tiny sprinkling of retro consisting of incredibly common videos that surely everyone has seen a million times like "Waterfalls', 'Thriller' or 'Higher Love'.

Brad
It's odd that they've found 'Freedom', which was never played at the time, but not 'Fable', which was.

The rest of the playlists look extremely dreary and alternative, with only a tiny sprinkling of retro consisting of incredibly common videos that surely everyone has seen a million times like "Waterfalls', 'Thriller' or 'Higher Love'.

I don't think I've even heard 'Freedom' before. I did a search on their playlists and they haven't played any of his videos since playlists have been online (January 1998).

I wasn't expecting them to do a tribute at all, but since they posted news of his death on the facebook page, I thought they maybe they would.

I noticed on the '90s dance' (which was entirely late 90s/2000 videos) Vault episode last year that they played a couple of videos they never aired as new releases. Similarly, I discovered recently that they never aired Ace of Base's 'Cruel Summer' in 1998, but did last year during the Nigel Dick (video director)-hosted special on a Sunday night.

The singer from Soundgaren has died. I expect a multi-hour rage tribute, as he was an 'alternative' musician.

Tonight there's a 3-hour tribute to Chris Cornell, the Soundgarden singer.

Saturday morning vault section (repeated Sunday morning ABC, Sunday night ABC ME, and Tuesday night ABC ME):

LOS DEL RIO Macarena ()
- hasn't aired on rage since January 1997.

This coming Saturday morning's Vault segment is being hosted by CDB

I'm still wondering when the Clouds guest programming will happen. It was reported in the SMH the weekend rage had their 30th birthday. But a month later we're still waiting....

Clip Magnet
I'm still wondering when the Clouds guest programming will happen. It was reported in the SMH the weekend rage had their 30th birthday. But a month later we're still waiting....

Hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

I remember waiting ages, like 5+ months, for the Suggs guest programming to air in 2009. Back when they actually had 'coming up...' on the (old) rage website, it was put on there, then disappeared soon after, and I remember eventually asking on the old rage website forum when it was going to air. They probably forgot about it is my guess.

According to the ebroadcast tv guide, The Clouds will be guest programming on Saturday 3rd June. But it is the advised day only and subject to change.

Jason D.
According to the ebroadcast tv guide, The Clouds will be guest programming on Saturday 3rd June. But it is the advised day only and subject to change.

Great, thanks! Hopefully it's "locked in, Eddie"!

Saturday morning Vault segment (hosted by CDB ):

RALPH TRESVANT Sensitivity
SWV Right Here (Human Nature Mix)

Neither video has aired since playlists have been online.

Otherwise, another boring weekend hosted by an 'alternative' act with many often-aired-on-rage videos

Our light at the end of the tunnel is that is almost half through the year, (scary as that may seem) - but at least, as the great Jon Bon Jovi sings "We're half way there" to COUNTDOWN!!!!

Matt73
Our light at the end of the tunnel is that is almost half through the year, (scary as that may seem) - but at least, as the great Jon Bon Jovi sings "We're half way there" to COUNTDOWN!!!!

Yeah, I was thinking that the other day, how we're almost half way through the year...

Saturday night:

SUZANNE VEGA Blood Makes Noise (though it aired during the watermark in the 4:3 region of the screen years)

YELLO feat SHIRLEY BASSEY The Rhythm Divine

Other than that, it's much of the same usual stuff that Clouds have chosen.

plus some Clouds videos - of course, rage have erroneously billed them as THE CLOUDS) on Saturday night that haven't aired for a while... but frustratingly missing the video for 'Anthem', which was probably the one I was most looking forward to .

Saturday morning:

DEADSTAR Don't It Get You Down - hasn't aired since playlists have been online
ANGELIQUE KIDJO Wombo Lombo - hasn't aired since playlists have been online

ohnoitisnathan
Saturday morning:

It's a shame it's not "She Loves She", Deadstar's first ever video and the only one I don't have. I've requested it a few times.

It's on YouTube with the rage logo / Eurostyle font title, so they must have played it in the late 90s or early 2000's but the online playlists don't list it as having being played at all!!

The uploader must have also accepted Youtube's generous "would you like us to stabilise your video?" offer (when it thinks a video is shaky) because it's been absolutely butchered - bouncing around all over the place, distorted like a rubber mat being stretched, you name it. Truly horrible.

Hopefully rage still have it and will play it again one day.

Clip Magnet
ohnoitisnathan
Saturday morning:

It's a shame it's not "She Loves She", Deadstar's first ever video and the only one I don't have. I've requested it a few times.

It's on YouTube with the rage logo / Eurostyle font title, so they must have played it in the late 90s or early 2000's but the online playlists don't list it as having being played at all!!

The uploader must have also accepted Youtube's generous "would you like us to stabilise your video?" offer (when it thinks a video is shaky) because it's been absolutely butchered - bouncing around all over the place, distorted like a rubber mat being stretched, you name it. Truly horrible.

Hopefully rage still have it and will play it again one day.

discogs.com has the release year as 1995. Your best bet might be to request it for November/Aus Music Month again. I've seen that stabilisation thing on YouTube, but have never taken it up - just as well by the sounds of it!

Just looking at the video now... I hate when people crop a 4:3 to appear 'widescreen'! How on earth anyone thinks that is somehow improving the video is beyond me.

Saturday morning (a 90s female artists playlist, but it's full of videos they regularly air):

FRENTE Sit On My Hands - wouldn't have aired since 1996.

CHER If I Could Turn Back Time - hasn't aired since playlists have been online; maybe not since it fell out of the top 50, in 1990.

Saturday morning:

FELIX Don't You Want Me - probably hasn't aired since 1993.

Saturday night:

CATATONIA Mulder and Scully - hasn't aired since 2002
SINEAD O'CONNOR Emperor's New Clothes - hasn't aired since 2006
URGE OVERKILL Sister Havana - hasn't aired since 2005
SKUNK ANANSIE Weak - wouldn't have aired since 1996
TONI PEAREN In Your Room (last aired in 2009)
MARK WILLIAMS Show No Mercy (aired in 2011, but with watermark on it)
NATALIE IMBRUGLIA Wishing I Was There - last aired in 1998
TINMAN Eighteen Strings - wouldn't have aired since 1995
KWS Please Don't Go - wouldn't have aired since 1992
HI TEK 3 Spin That Wheel - wouldn't have aired since 1990
DOOP Doop - wouldn't have aired since 1995
JX Son Of A Gun - wouldn't have aired since 1994
THE OUTHERE BROTHERS Ole, Ole - not sure what year this is from, but it hasn't aired since at least 1997

Missed Sat. night. What night will it be repeated again?

Michael
Missed Sat. night. What night will it be repeated again?

Normally Wednesday morning ABC is when part of Saturday night's program is repeated. Though this week I think it only runs for an hour to 90 minutes, so it won't be repeating much of it.

If there's anything you want from it that I kept, I could add it to your forthcoming disc. I kept all of the above (minus Toni Pearen, which I already had a rage copy of), plus a few others.

Now this is interesting:

Saturday morning Vault segment:

JULIE ANDREWS A Spoonful Of Sugar (From Mary Poppins) (Disney)

Saturday night:

FLEETWOOD MAC The Chain ()

Wow, the playlists for the weekend are up already! There are a few videos on Saturday night that haven't aired in a long time:

STAN RIDGWAY The Big Heat (Independent) (last aired during the 2009 Wild Card special)
MINNIE RIPERTON Lovin' You () (hasn't aired on rage before to my knowledge)
DIVINYLS I'm Jealous () (hasn't aired since 1995)
FLYING PICKETS Only You () (hasn't aired before)

ohnoitisnathan
DIVINYLS I'm Jealous () (hasn't aired since 1995)

YAY!!

Very excited that MINNIE RIPERTON Lovin' You is being played!!!!

SO RARRRRRE! Never seen it on rage!

That performance of STEVE HARLEY AND THE COCKNEY REBELS Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me) was just WOW!!!!!

rage usually play a different video, my word ... Steve Harley is so darn beautifuuuuuuul x

Jason 'The Moderator"
That performance of STEVE HARLEY AND THE COCKNEY REBELS Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me) was just WOW!!!!!

rage usually play a different video, my word ... Steve Harley is so darn beautifuuuuuuul x

That performance has aired on rage before; in December 2015, and again in October 2016. I have not seen any other 'video' for it on rage. Unfortunately, I discovered last night through my widescreen recording, it's another one they've enlarged beyond the 4:3 boundary of the screen. And yes, it was great to see the Minnie Riperton video/performance aired.

Noticed that they played the original clip for Divine - You Think Your A Man. In the past I thought they had played the Countdown performance (including the credits).

Armin
Noticed that they played the original clip for Divine - You Think Your A Man. In the past I thought they had played the Countdown performance (including the credits).

The only time the Countdown performance has aired was during a repeat of the 1984 Countdown episode it was performed on (7 October 1984 from memory), in January 2005.

The audio is slightly out of sync, I think, on the standalone clip they play (which also has the wrong title in the superscript - "You Think You're a Man, But You're Only a Boy").

Saturday morning:

THE BREAKFAST CLUB Right On Track () (has only aired in the digital era during the watermark in the 4:3 area of the screen years)

I think the theme for Saturday morning's Vault segment is 1987, but it includes several tracks released in 1986. Typical rage

Short too at only 11 eighties songs for the whole weekend, but I guess we should be grateful they've spared that much, and that it isn't too alternative. I don't know how Husker-Du fits into the theme, being a non-charter and something I've never heard.

If their write-up reflects what will be written on the superscript though, it should be Debbie (not Deborah) Harry for that song, and 'French Kissin' In The USA' (rather than "kissing"). Which is odd as they got "hangin'" right for Kim Wilde.
Good that they are playing both, though there are undoubtedly rarer videos from both they could be playing.

Nice to see 'Right On Track' (hopefully not by The Breakfast CLU), 'Luka', 'U Got The Look' and 'To Be A lover', though not exactly hard to find elsewhere.

Brad

If their write-up reflects what will be written on the superscript though, it should be Debbie (not Deborah) Harry for that song, and 'French Kissin' In The USA' (rather than "kissing"). Which is odd as they got "hangin'" right for Kim Wilde.
Good that they are playing both, though there are undoubtedly rarer videos from both they could be playing.

Nice to see 'Right On Track' (hopefully not by The Breakfast CLU), 'Luka', 'U Got The Look' and 'To Be A lover', though not exactly hard to find elsewhere.

I sometimes wonder how rage can get so many artist/title credits wrong with things like this. I know they are only human, but surely the record company didn't label all of the source tapes incorrectly? It looks like someone just went with labelling certain things from memory, without bothering to check whether it was correct.

'Luka' gets played all the time, well, for a Suzanne Vega video on rage. I'm pretty sure it was shown just recently. They could have gone with 'Solitude Standing'.

Saturday morning:

10,000 MANIACS These Are Days

Saturday night:

EAGLES The Long Run (though it aired during Glenn Frey's tribute last year)

plus a bunch of Hanson videos that probably haven't aired since they were in the top 50

I was watching a 10,000 Maniacs video earlier (though not the one above) and thought for some reason "it wouldn't surprise me if Hanson chose them" and they did!

Someone affiliated with (I think a producer) Nick Cave, The Cruel Sea etc. died recently, so are getting a tribute tonight (Friday night):

THE BIRTHDAY PARTY Nick The Stripper (Mushroom)
MICHAEL HUTCHENCE Rooms For The Memory (Warner)
THE FERRETS Just Like The Stars (Mushroom)
THE CRUEL SEA Better Get A Lawyer (Polydor)
THE CRUEL SEA Just A Man (Polydor)

12:30am

SUPERNAUT I Like It Both Ways ()
KIM SALMON and THE SURREALISTS I Fell (Polydor)
BEASTS OF BOURBON Chase The Dragon (Polydor)
STRAITJACKET FITS Bad Note For A Heart (Mushroom)
MICK HARVEY and ANITA LANE Initials B.B. (Mushroom)
DAVE GRANEY 'N' THE CORAL SNAKES You're Just Too Hip Baby (Polydor)
TISM Get Thee To A Nunnery (Shock)
PEL MEL Pandemonium (GAP Records)

1:00am

STRAITJACKET FITS Done (Mushroom)
POWDERFINGER Tail (Polydor)
BOYS NEXT DOOR Shivers (Mushroom)
NICK CAVE and THE BAD SEEDS Loverman (Mushroom)
NICK CAVE and THE BAD SEEDS As I Sat Sadly By Her Side (Fest/Mush)
NICK CAVE and THE BAD SEEDS Love Letter (Virgin)
STRAITJACKET FITS Spacing (Mushroom)
THE CHUCKY MONROES Mortal Remains (Independent)

1:30am

BEASTS OF BOURBON The Low Road (Polydor)
MERCY ARMS Half Right (Independent)
THE BLACKEYED SUSANS Mary Mac (Mushroom)
THE CRUEL SEA Black Stick (Polydor)
NICK CAVE and THE BAD SEEDS Red Right Hand (Mushroom)
BEASTS OF BOURBON Just Right (Polydor)

2:00am

THE CRUEL SEA Woman With Soul (Polydor)
TEX PERKINS I Know Y' Know I Know (Universal)
ASTRID MUNDAY Closer (Independent)
THE GO-BETWEENS Your Turn, My Turn (Missing Link)
THE FERRETS Don't Fall In Love ()
MICK HARVEY and ANITA LANE Harley Davidson (Mushroom)
THE CRUEL SEA This Is Not The Way Home (Independent)
NICK CAVE and KYLIE MINOGUE Where The Wild Roses Grow (Mushroom)

2:30am

NICK CAVE and PJ HARVEY Henry Lee (Mushroom)
NICK CAVE and THE BAD SEEDS Stagger Lee (Mushroom)
POWDERFINGER Grave Concern (Polydor)
STRAITJACKET FITS If I Were You (Mushroom)
THE CRUEL SEA Seems Twice (Polydor)
NICK CAVE and THE BAD SEEDS Do You Love Me? (Mushroom)
THE CRUEL SEA The Honeymoon Is Over (Polydor)

It aired in 2015, but this Saturday morning during the 10:30-11:30 guest programmer hour (repeated Thursday night ABC ME):

BERLIN The Metro ()

Saturday night:

STEPHEN CUMMINGS Back Stabbers (Polydor) (last aired 2009)
WARD 13 Midnight Caravan () (as Jason has pointed out)

Saturday night:

THE UNDERTONES Teenage Kicks (Sire Records) (hasn't aired since playlists have been online)

TEARS FOR FEARS Pale Shelter (Mercury) (hasn't aired since playlists have been online)

MEN AT WORK It's A Mistake (CBS) (hasn't aired since playlists have been online)

Saturday night:

XTC Life Begins At The Hop (hasn't aired as a standalone clip on rage since playlists have been online)

ohnoitisnathan
XTC Life Begins At The Hop (hasn't aired as a standalone clip on rage since playlists have been online)

And they mananged to totally screw it up - the clip is totally zoomed in and blurry for some reason. Seriously, they only showed about 50% of the image frame. When I get a chance I will upload the comparison to the original clip.

OK, here's what rage broadcast last night:

And here's that image overlaid on top of the proper 4:3 clip:

So not only is the clip zoomed in, they screwed up the aspect ratio as well!

I feel a letter to rage coming on...

That's a really bad crop. They didn't have to zoom in that far. It's better for rage to show the actual original aspect ratio as you don't miss out on what the director intended to show and for the quality of the video. One of the downsides of 4:3 aspect ratio though is that from my experience in the retail selling of televisions is that funnily enough, a lot of people think that 4:3 aspect ratio on a 16:9 screen is a fault because they don't realise televisions used to have a different shape before digital TV. That shouldn't be reason enough to crop 4:3 footage to widescreen because there is a lack of knowledge by many consumers.

Wow, that's really bad. I haven't yet watched my recording from last night to see for myself.

I wish rage/the ABC would not zoom in on these old videos at all; it just looks so bad. Who could seriously think it was an improvement?

There have been a couple of old letterboxed videos re-aired in recent times that they haven't enlarged to 16:9, such as Robert Plant's 'Big Log', which I am grateful for.

1 2