Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: rage - Stories On The Red Couch with kate Ceberano

It's on Saturday night before a second installment of Rage 30 viewers selections according to the guide.

Oh okay,

Thanks for the reply :-)

Glad there is a 2nd installment of Viewers choice, I really hope my Top 5 will be played seeing I actually chose interesting material rage played in their early days.

The 1st installment last weekend was utter s h i t

There was a rage 30 program last night, which had a couple of interesting things - like a few flashes of the rage red book containing a list of the videos they have.

There was also the current programmer, Tyson Koh (I think), shown briefly next to a whiteboard which had what looked like a 12 month plan for (I assume) this year. Surprisingly, it looked mostly full up until the end of September. The last week of September had VAULT written beside it, so maybe there is another Saturday night Vault special coming up this year!

Unfortunately, there was a RECOVERY slot scheduled for late October, though, but it's better then than during retro month.

There was also a DIRECTORS special listed, too. The specials were in a different colour (I think red) than the others.

There was also a lot of boring, predictable stuff (people gushing about Triple J and discovering various 'alternative' acts via rage ). Plus irrelevant filler (IMO) like segments with Missy Higgins talking about making music videos, which has absolutely nothing to do with the 30th anniversary of rage. And Jimmy Barnes claiming to have not known 'Flame Trees' was released as a single, due to fighting with the band at the time, until seeing the video on rage... yet it pre-dates rage by several years. Surely he would have known before 1987. Tina Arena was faffing on about how difficult it was for women to get heard 'at that time' with messages in their songs, and how rage provided an outlet for that... while 'Show Me Heaven' (a cover version, which rage have never aired) played in the background

Some cool archival footage shown of ABC news/Backchat segments mentioning the start of rage. And also some shots of a handwritten playlist of the very first episode of rage! I might take some screen shots of it later for those who missed it, though I think it's repeated on Wednesday night.

Wow Nathan, you must have been going crazy with the pause button! I also hear ya about Jimmy Barnes and Flame Trees...WTF? and Tina Arena. I didn't mind Missy Higgins faffing on since her start in the industry was Triple J and rage. I can't believe they didn't talk about the rage Top 50, vault segments and of course Countdown.

Michael
Wow Nathan, you must have been going crazy with the pause button! I also hear ya about Jimmy Barnes and Flame Trees...WTF? and Tina Arena. I didn't mind Missy Higgins faffing on since her start in the industry was Triple J and rage. I can't believe they didn't talk about the rage Top 50, vault segments and of course Countdown.

These shows are mostly to show how cool and 'alternative' rage is, y'know?

The top 50 and Countdown repeats simply don't exist!

I found it interesting that Countdown January's were not mentioned in the rage 30 special, like seriously! ... It's only THE most popular time of every year on rage!!!! ... Yet Recovery gets mentioned? ... The mention of Countdown and how it got axed for rage was mentioned in the beginning of the special, but then didn't get mentioned on how rage have played Countdown since 1993 to the present. Quite silly really ...

All that Magic Dirt, Missy Higgins crap was useless ... And Tina Arena, arghhhhhh .... She really does talk a lot of crap. And her Adult Contemporary rubbish is so bland, give me The Machines Breaking Down, Turn Up The Beat and I need Your Body, her only decent material. As for Jimmy Barnes, yawwwwwwn ...

The saving grace was the list of the first rage episode, the news segment and TV guide from ABC and the red book. The special started off very interesting then just fell FLAT!

Your pausing Nathan is very impressive, thanks for the stills. I was p[leased to see some lists in the special and wanted to pause for the first episode of rage but didn't notice what is coming up later this year, so thanks for that! .... A VAULT Special in September, YAY!!!!! ... Glad Recovery gets specials later in the year, so the 90s grunge rubbish can be played which mean 80s Countdown heaven in January without that Recovery S H I T * * *

Hopefully the Kate Ceberano hosted Red Couch special tonight will be a tad more interesting. Glad they got Kate and not some 90s grunge person

Jason 'The Moderator"
Hopefully the Kate Ceberano hosted Red Couch special tonight will be a tad more interesting. Glad they got Kate and not some 90s grunge person

I agree with you that the documentary started off good and then fell flat. I knew they'd hype all of the Australian 'alternative' acts.

Your post reminds me - I need to take a screen-shot of that schedule for the year to see if I can work out any of the others. There was another Splendour in the Grass special listed too, but who cares about that.

Yes, Tina Arena does talk crap. You will be pleased to know that with her new best of she has finally acknowledged her earlier tracks and it has I Need Your Body, The Machine's Breaking Down and Strong as Steel. I missed tonights special hosted by Kate, but will catch up on a repeat or iview. Love Kate, she's still cool all these years.

Michael
Yes, Tina Arena does talk crap. You will be pleased to know that with her new best of she has finally acknowledged her earlier tracks and it has I Need Your Body, The Machine's Breaking Down and Strong as Steel.

Someone on a pop forum I frequent is friends with Pina's current manager (or record company person). He says that he practically had to beg her to perform 'I Need Your Body' on her recent-ish tour... but at least she relented.