Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Every Monday night (Tuesday morning) on ABC1 now a Vault special

Great theme for Monday night - solo singles from band members. One song I wish they'd played was Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel. Surely his most well known (but rarely played) song. It would be good to have it played on Rage.

Michael
Why don't they put Monday night playlists up on the website? I know they post on facebook, but if they put all the other nights playlists up on the website, why not Monday's?

I get the impression rage have been on 'skeletal staff' since around the time the election was announced, and still appear to be. They never comment on Facebook posts anymore, for example.

Guru Bob
Are they replacing this segment with women's soccer repeats now or am I reading the TV guide wrong?

I really hope not.

Who wants to watch (women's or men's) soccer at that hour?

Looking at next weeks' programming they are only showing the women's soccer on the Tues/Wed night - which is a repeat of their regular Sunday afternoon program.

It looks like they will only replay the Saturday afternoon soccer on the Mon/Tues night and next week there is no game broadcast in that slot so it should be back to normal vault segment.

Checking the soccer broadcast fixture it appears that the Saturday game shown last week was a one off to launch the season (although it was actually round 2 apparently). The W League season runs for 14 weeks plus 3 weeks of finals but in round 10 (Jan 1&2) there will be no broadcast game.

So it looks like we will be back to normal after tonight.

The version of Life On Mars played during December 5 hasn't been played before until now

WOW!!! All the Kim Carnes videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO RARE <3 More Love and Invisible Hands, fantastic. WOuld have loved Voyeur as well but Kim Carnes videos are not easy to obtain and there amre some RARE ones there xxxxx And Looking Over My Shoulder by Til Tuesday!!!!! How AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only rage included the video to Breakdance by Irene Cara!

But how super duper COOL!

Shoina Lang as well!

Jason 'The Moderator"
WOW!!! All the Kim Carnes videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO RARE <3 More Love and Invisible Hands, fantastic. WOuld have loved Voyeur as well but Kim Carnes videos are not easy to obtain and there amre some RARE ones there xxxxx And Looking Over My Shoulder by Til Tuesday!!!!! How AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoina Lang as well!

I started reading the playlist from the bottom up when I first saw it, and wasn't too thrilled, but yes there is some rare stuff shown earlier on.

I wish they'd shown 'Left of Center' instead of 'Luka', though, as I don't have a watermark-free digital copy of that.

Jason 'The Moderator"

Shoina Lang as well!

Hi Jason,

If you are interested I have Voyeur from a Laser Disc. It is a great video and nice and clean if you are interested?

Thank You Nathan for uploading the rage Playlist every Monday night. I have left Facebook as I loathe Social media and don't plan to return till November when I submit Countdown requests.

Would appreciate it if you continue pasting the Playlists for Monday nights

Jason 'The Moderator"

Would appreciate it if you continue pasting the Playlists for Monday nights

Sure, I plan to continue.

Next week's Tuesday morning episode is only about an hour long. No doubt they'll pick a really good theme, then

It's starting later than normal because of that W league (whatever that is) that has been airing normally on Wednesday mornings. Typical Australia - sport trumps everything else

Interesting, only 1 hour long. Perfect to play the Countdown episode from 11/04/1982 in that hour. But according to them, they don't have time in their upcoming programming. Fools

Has anybody who were the fans of Bardot? Bardot is an Australian girl band and pop group from the early 2000s.
For more information, try Wikipedia.

RetroTragic
Great theme for Monday night - solo singles from band members. One song I wish they'd played was Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel. Surely his most well known (but rarely played) song. It would be good to have it played on Rage.

...except they have aired it, 4 times since playlists have been online (January 1998):

9 December 2000
19 July 2008
2 February 2013
15 November 2014

I have a recording of it from rage, too.

RetroTragic
Great theme for Monday night - solo singles from band members.

I hope they do an Aussie one. I'd like to see Mark Seymour's solo clips which haven't aired on rage for a very long time.

They did play it. They replaced the clips with Countdown performances as they were playing Countdown eps at this time as well

The Meldrum tapes im talking about as discussed on the previous page. Sorry im a bit slow

Oh bugger. My recorder stopped just after the Daryl Hall videos. Can anyone help me out with the rest??

We're in for an 80s night on The Vault this Monday night (early Tuesday morning) - brilliant!

Screen-Shot-2018-11-11-at-7-14-56-PM

^ Yes, except shame it's a short episode tonight. That's always a worry with me - that they'll pick a good theme when it's a shorter episode.

Coming up on the VAULT tonight a little slice of 1980 with The Korgis, Gary Numan Official, Cliff Richard, Chris Rea, Joan Armatrading, Hall & Oates, Michael Jackson, Stephanie Mills and more. 2:38 am on ABC TV.

KORGIS, THE Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime
PETER GABRIEL Games Without Frontiers
GARY NUMAN We Are Glass
CLIFF RICHARD Carrie
ERIC CARMEN It Hurts Too Much
SAD CAFE La-Di-Da
CHRIS REA Tennis
NUMBERS, THE Five Letter Word
PRETENDERS, THE Kid
MOTELS, THE Danger
JOAN ARMATRADING Me Myself I
HALL and OATES Kiss On My List
TOTO 99
MICHAEL JACKSON Rock With You
STEPHANIE MILLS Never Knew Love Like This Before
BONNIE POINTER Heaven Must Have Sent You
FERN KINNEY Together We Are Beautiful

It's a shame the Joan Armatrading clip is a rotoscoped film copy of the original, which was recorded on videotape. The result is pretty poor quality. There was a period from the late '70s to early '80s where we in Australia often got the film copies because videotape was too expensive to use for copying and sending to the colonies. Film was much cheaper.

Prior to that, clips were only made on film, and after that period, videotape became cheap enough to use for distribution copies.

Rage has quite a few of these clips, such as Peter Gabriel "Games Without Frontiers", Blondie "Union City Blue" (among many others) and Boomtown Rats "I Don't Like Mondays". I now have digital copies of these clips from the source videotapes, and watching them is simply incredible in comparison to the film copies - no dust or scratches, completely clear images, properly saturated colours.

It reveals just how much resolution and quality was lost in transferring to film. Rage should source new copies of such clips.

Tonight the theme is Radiohead, though they've already done a Radiohead vault special in 2016.

RADIOHEAD Creep
RADIOHEAD Anyone Can Play Guitar
RADIOHEAD Pop Is Dead
RADIOHEAD Stop Whispering
RADIOHEAD My Iron Lung
RADIOHEAD High and Dry
RADIOHEAD Fake Plastic Trees
RADIOHEAD Just
RADIOHEAD Street Spirit (Fade Out)
RADIOHEAD The Bends (Live)
RADIOHEAD Paranoid Android
RADIOHEAD Exit Music (For a Film) (Live)
RADIOHEAD Karma Police
RADIOHEAD Climbing Up the Walls (Live)
RADIOHEAD Lucky
RADIOHEAD No Surprises
DRUGSTORE feat. THOM YORKE El President
UNKLE feat. THOM YORKE Rabbit in Your Headlights
RADIOHEAD Pyramid Song
RADIOHEAD I Might Be Wrong
RADIOHEAD Knives Out
THOM YORKE Harrowdown Hill
RADIOHEAD 2 + 2 = 5
RADIOHEAD Go to Sleep
RADIOHEAD There There

Unfortunately, there is no vault episode scheduled for next week. Instead, a Missy Higgins & Friends Live program is airing (not part of rage).

Unknown

RetroTragic
Unknown

Yeah, it's quite sad.

... and it's a repeat from tonight's show (Sunday) at 8.40pm. Annoying!

Re: Every Monday night (Tuesday morning) on ABC1 now a Vault specialWe

RetroTragic
... and it\\\'s a repeat from tonight\\\'s show (Sunday) at 8.40pm. Annoying!
Ridiculous!

There are no Wednesday or Thursday morning rage episodes this week either. I hope that this is not an omen.

It's most probably an over-zealous response to Oz Music Month, flooding our screens with current local artists. Bring on December, and more importantly ...

BRING ON JANUARY! More Countdown!

maxresdefault

I've checked ahead, and there is no vault episode next week, either

Instead there are two episodes of Doctor Who.

ohnoitisnathan
I\'ve checked ahead, and there is no vault episode next week, either

Instead there are two episodes of Doctor Who.
That is ridiculous. I mean, I love Doctor Who, but the new episode was aired Monday night, there is no need to repeat it (if that's what it is) or any other in a music timeslot.

Such a missed opportunity. Imagine celebrating Aus Music Month with a couple of Vaults worth of rare Aussie eighties videos.

I hope they've listened to my request for 'It's Your Move' by Zan, which they could lift from an episode of The Factory that they have (if not play the whole episode which I also suggested for Retro Month).

The vault looks like it's back next week! There's an episode of rage scheduled on ABC on Tuesday morning next week.

... but the Monday after that, December 17 (or Tuesday morning Dec 18th) .... no VAULT!

RetroTragic
... but the Monday after that, December 17 (or Tuesday morning Dec 18th) .... no VAULT!
B l o o d y ABC!

I'm a bit out of routine, forgetting to check for a Vault playlist until now (an hour or two later than normal). It looks like 1983 is the theme.

Coming up on the VAULT tonight Tears for Fears, Men Without Hats, Jim Capaldi, F.R. David, Bette Midler, Carly Simon, Thompson Twins, Howard Devoto, Shriekback, Falco and more. 1:10 am on ABC TV. #rageabcvault

BETTE MIDLER Favorite Waste Of Time
STEVIE NICKS Anyone Falls
CARLY SIMON You Know What To Do
KIM CARNES Invisible Hands
F. R. DAVID Words
JIM CAPALDI That's Love
BLUE ROSE Don't You Know
DAVID KNOPFLER Soul Kissing
CHRIS REA I Can Hear Your Heartbeat
TOTO Waiting For Your Love
IMAGINATION Looking At Midnight
STRANGLERS, THE European Female
CURE, THE The Walk
TEARS FOR FEARS Change
ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK Telegraph
PETER GABRIEL I Don't Remember
GARY NUMAN Warriors
HOWARD DEVOTO Rainy Season
SHRIEKBACK Lined Up
PLANET P Why Me?
NAKED EYE Promises Promises
FALCO Zuviel Hitze
MEN WITHOUT HATS I Got The Message
LUNA TWIST Look Out (You're Falling In Love Again)
THOMPSON TWINS Love On Your Side
BEAT, THE I Confess

Tears For Fears and OMD were dropped from the playlist.

ohnoitisnathan
Tears For Fears and OMD were dropped from the playlist.
"Change. You can change"

^ I guess TFF can't be angry about being removed from the playlist.

That's very funny!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What I LOVE about Vault nights, or even just Saturday nights/mornings, is the utter surprise at hearing a song which you distinctly remember from your youth, but haven't thought about for decades. All of a sudden, the song hits you, and you remember it like it was yesterday. Such an awesome feeling that only a show like Rage can give you. This has happened many times over the years, but last Monday's Vault had this memorable song:

• BETTE MIDLER Favorite Waste Of Time (Atlantic)

Bette is not a favourite of mine, nor is much of her music, but this song has sat is my mind for 35 years. It finally resurfaced on Rage, and I got to enjoy a rare moment of reminiscing my youth. Thanks Rage! Keep digging up those gems!

No Vault on Christmas Eve either - Monday 24th/Tuesday 25th. Of all times, it's most expected, I suppose. Let's hope The Vault comes back bigger and stronger in 2019. R R A A G G E E ! ! !

I agree with you - there have been numerous occasions where I've rediscovered a song I didn't think I knew, but did, or hadn't thought of in decades, via the rage vault episodes and specials.

I also didn't think I knew 'Favourite Waste of Time', but it seemed vaguely familiar.

And d a m n about there being no Xmas eve vault episode either! Can I ask, where do you get this information more than a week ahead from? I used to get it from looking ahead at the schedule at https://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/rage/, but recently the default has been set back to 2014, and none of the few 2018 episodes listed are dated now, for some reason. I guess that's what you get with the ABC with a Coalition government chronically underfunding it

Rage will probably do another Christmas theme on Saturday night, as they have the last couple of years. Mind you, I don't know how many new Christmas songs there are anyway. I use 'On Tv Tonight'. They have up to two weeks in advance for countries all over the world.

It looks like Vault nights might be back to some kind of regularity, although New Year's Eve seems to just be a big celebration night. Might be some good songs in there somewhere ...

Monday Night 31st December / Tuesday Morning 1st January

RAGE: NEW YEAR'S SPECIAL (12:19am to 5:59am)

After the fireworks ring in 2019, rage brings you an all night party mix to help you rock in the new year and keep the party going with classic tracks and party hits until the sun comes up.

Monday Night 7th December / Tuesday Morning 8th January

RAGE (1.29am to 2:31am)

For over 30 years rage has been showcasing a diverse range of music videos from Aussie and international artists. #WatchingRage

Good to see the Vault is back next week... but only a 62 minute episode (if it starts on time)? I hope the theme is crap, to get one out of the way, if it's going to be that short.

Oh, we can say crap now? About ******* time (just testing) :smile:

The vault is only an hour long tonight... so of course they choose a theme that's right up my alley.

We're taking it back to the dancefloors of 1994 on the VAULT tonight. Expect to see videos by Pizzaman, K-Klass, Melodie MC, Future Sound of London - FSOL, Snap! and more. 1:30 am on ABCTV. #rageabcvault

PIZZAMAN Trippin' On Sunshine
DOOP Doop
GRID, THE Swamp Thing
TINMAN Eighteen Strings
REEL 2 REAL I Like To Move It
MELODIE MC Dum Da Dum
PRODIGY, THE No Good (Start The Dance)
FUTURE SOUNDS OF LONDON, THE Lifeforms
JX Son Of A Gun
STAXX Joy
SNAP Welcome To Tomorrow
URBAN COOKIE COLLECTIVE High On A Happy Vibe
CRYSTAL WATERS 100% Pure Love
M-PEOPLE Sight For Sore Eyes
D:REAM Things Can Only Get Better

K-KLASS What You're Missing

should be added after TINMAN above; I asked rage where the missing K-Klass clip mentioned in the blurb was, and they revised the playlist.

Looking ahead on the schedule, there is a 1 hour, 59 minute vault episode of rage next week. Hopefully it's back for good now.

If only a Countdown was back for good, 90s special tonight, how crap

Though at the moment with Countdown episodes and Vault clips being played in ratios where the logo is going into the screen and just barely over the 4.3 box it is stressful to even collect anything that is dear to me as they are being all ruined.

As much as l love January, these hiccups are with ratios are making it too stressful

I don’t mind some dance and house music of the 90s and this playlist isn’t too bad from what I have just read. I will most likely watch this one. I wonder if ABC Me ch 723 are going to play any Countdown show replays from last Sunday morning’s Week 1 selection. I will be watching to see. Better still are Rage on ABC ch 2 going to play shows on Wednesday morning from Week 1 which we have seen done in past years. There certainly is space in their morning programs to do that once again. Who knows last year it did not really happen too much. I think there was the odd show replayed though it was far and few between from memory. Always good if they do this for anyone who may of missed or had something go wrong during the Saturday and Sunday morning replays.

I like early and mid 90s dance, so am looking forward to the program tonight.

The ABC ME repeats don't repeat any of the Saturday night guest programmer/special segment, but do repeat the 5-6 and 6-7 slots (no Countdown was aired during that period, and hasn't been for the last few years) on Tuesday and Wednesday night, respectively.

If there is a rage show on Wednesday morning on ABC, that's when part of the Saturday night guest programmer/special hour is repeated. There is a 61 minute episode of rage on ABC at 1:02am on Wednesday morning this week. I imagine that one of the Countdown episodes will be repeated during it, and ads (or possibly one isolated music video) will fill up the remaining few minutes.

EDIT - OK, they've posted the playlist for Wednesday morning's ABC episode, and it does not repeat a Countdown, but instead repeats the Saturday morning playlist of retro videos:

https://www.abc.net.au/rage/playlist/tuesday-night-8-january-2019-on-abc/10695662

Hmmm it turns out that rage stretched Staxx 'Joy' and D:Ream 'Things Can Only Get Better' last night - they are 4:3 clips, but both overlapped with the watermark slightly. Ridiculous!

This stretching is getting to be ridiculous indeed!!!!

The watermarks overlapping into the actual video is just silly. I don't see why this even needs to occur :-(

I don't see why Countdown episodes and videos can't just be played from the archives with no editing to the 4.3 ratio!!!!

Even with the last episode of Countdown last Saturday night from May 4, 1980 ... The logo was just outside of the 4.3 picture nearly touching the edge of the Countdown episode and then on the GTK clip of Jon English the logo moved right to the very right of the screen, why the logo couldn't have been to the very right of the screen for the whole night, I don't know ... It all seems unnecessary to me how logos change position all night :-(

rage have played some really amazing videos in the Vault specials in 2018 and the Countdown's so far this January have been BRILLLIANT! They have done such a STELLAR job but whoever is editing the Countdown episodes and Vault videos clearly is not doing a good job at all, these Countdown episodes and videos just need to be played as they are from the masters and not edited for ratio purposes ...

1 2